superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE RECKONING!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which was your first Superman comic book?  (Read 7813 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« on: April 30, 2005, 02:00:45 PM »

Which was your first Superman comic book?

The first issue that I've ever read was the Italian edition of JIMMY OLSEN 66 (1963), 13 years ago.
It was a story which featured a hoax by Jimmy and Superman planned to frame criminals making believe them that Red Kryptonite turned Supes in a devilish being with horns and red skin. I didn't like it so much when I first read it (I was 9).

This is the cover.

The same book contained other stories with Batman, Martian Manhunter and Superboy. I'd like to know where appeared this story in the USA... The publisher didn't use to indicate the provenience of the stories.
The story was entitled "Agonia" ("Agony" in English; maybe the Italian title wasn't a literal translation), and featured the origin of the Green Kryptonite, founded by Pa Kent in Smallville. Jonathan gifted the rock to his son, that could die for the radiactions. Then, Clark discovered that his Superboy Robots could stop the radiations and so he put the rock inside one of them (the one called Friday). Do you remember this story?

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »

The first Superman comic that I read was around 1990, though I watched SuperFriends and the Superboy? cartoon before that. It was an issue where Jimmy Olsen began stretching and couldn't control it. I now recognize this as a crappy post-Crisis rehashing of Elastic Lad.

The Death of Superman (Superman v2 #75) first got me into reading the comics regularly, but after Reign of the Supermen was over, I quit for several years. I just started reading comics again last year, and I'm a big fan of the Silver Age right now.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Strange Visitor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 10:09:56 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Which was your first Superman comic book?

The first issue that I've ever read was the Italian edition of JIMMY OLSEN 66 (1963), 13 years ago.
It was a story which featured a hoax by Jimmy and Superman planned to frame criminals making believe them that Red Kryptonite turned Supes in a devilish being with horns and red skin. I didn't like it so much when I first read it (I was 9).

I'd like to know where appeared this story in the USA... The publisher didn't use to indicate the provenience of the stories.

Here is the American comic with that cover (JIMMY OLSEN #68, Apr 1963).
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:12:33 AM »

The first Superman comic I ever read was also the first one I bought:
Jimmy Olsen 72.  I bought it some time in the 1970s - it was also my first back issue purchase.

I had no idea who the Legion of Super-Heroes was, who the giant turtle Olsen, elastic lad Olsen, or porcupine Olsen were, and I was completely lost when I read it - but it was still great fun!  I'll never forget that incredible Curt Swan artwork as Jimmy and Perry are in the flying newsroom over Monster Island...

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 03:36:01 AM »

Not sure, but it must have been a mid-70s issue where Superman is being frozen or turned into a statue on the cover.  I was very young.  Ironically, I read mostly Marvel comics as a kid but watched the 50s TV show (in reruns, natch), the 60s cartoons, the 70s Superfriends cartoons, and finally the first movie, all before becoming a regular Superman comic book reader --after reading the Maggin novel Last Son of Krypton which my parents bought for me after I saw the movie.  Probably Superman vs Ali was the second Superman comic I read before that.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 04:41:39 AM »

Jimmy Olsen = Gateway drug Wink

Here was mine...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 08:11:22 AM »

Quote from: "Strange Visitor"

Here is the American comic with that cover (JIMMY OLSEN #68, Apr 1963).

Er... Sorry, I intended # 68, not 66. Thank you.
But the one which I'd like to know where was originally published is the story featuring the origin of Green K.

Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 08:15:16 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Jimmy Olsen = Gateway drug ;)

Here was mine...

The "Clark Kent... Fired!" trilogy! I have bought it last month. Another fantastic story from the Bronze Age of the Man of Tomorrow.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L