superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eric Shanower on Lois Lane  (Read 1596 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 22, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »

Eric Shanower writes about almost getting the Lois Lane miniseries in the 80s that went to Gray Morrow:

AGE OF BRONZE artist Eric Shanower has a column at Buzzscope, and it's unusually frank and well-written as far as these thinks go. In this installment he talks about trying to break in to comics some 20 years ago.

I delivered the penciled pages to the DC Comics offices in person. Bob Greenberger, editor of the project, took me into Managing Editor Dick Giordano’s office so that Dick could inspect my work. Two of his comments stand out in my memory. He asked me whether I’d used reference for the taxi I’d drawn. Of course I told him “yes” since I had. Dick told me that I’d left a reflector off the taxi. I replied that the taxi in my reference photo hadn’t had the reflector he indicated. Dick told me I was wrong. I didn’t argue, but you can bet that when I got home I checked the photo and, sure enough, there was no reflector on that taxi. Then Dick Giordano looked at my drawings of the trench coat and told me I’d drawn the straps on the shoulders incorrectly. He said that I needed to look at a real trench coat, not just draw my idea of what I thought a trench coat should look like. I knew that I’d drawn the shoulder straps just as the shoulder straps on my own coat looked. I wasn’t about to tell that to Dick Giordano, though, since he hadn’t accepted my explanation about the taxi.

Guess what. I didn’t get the Lois Lane job.

Now, I really don’t think I lost it because Dick Giordano thought I couldn’t draw taxis or trench coats. My drawing abilities just weren’t ready for a story featuring such a high-profile character as Lois Lane. Gray Morrow got the job and drew it far more successfully than I’d have been able to—even if I’d drawn the taxis and trench coats to Dick Giordano’s specifications.

http://popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=1324

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L