superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Smallville and Where is Metropolis on the Map?  (Read 33404 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 04:44:46 AM »

Ha - knew I lived in Metropolis - my avatar sez so! S!
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2005, 06:45:30 AM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
I was speaking more specifically of the comics, where they avoided directly placing any of DC's fictional cities in a particular state.  Any guesses as to where "Central City" and "Coast City" were supposed to be?

Coast City was explicitly stated as being in California in Green Lantern's comics on various occasions. A "New Adventures of Superboy" story features the Kents visiting relatives "clear across the country" in Coast City for a weekend (where they meet a teenage Hal Jordan);the references in the story make clear that Smallville (in that story) is near Metropolis (the Kents take off from a Metropolis airport, and they mentioned Smallville being an east coast town repeatedly).

Central City is somewhere in the midwest; in the 70's, think it was placed in Ohio, while post-Crisis, they moved it to Missouri (as a "twin city" to Keystone City, which post-Crisis is in Kansas... which I always thought was stupid--- "Keystone City" was supposed to be more of a Pennsylvania-type city... the "keystone state" and all?! Dont' see why the two cities couldn't straddle the Ohio-Pennsylvania border instead... and it'd at least leave their original individual identities mostly intact, instead of diminishing them both by making them some lame Kansas City-knockoffs...).

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2005, 05:39:44 AM »

just for the heck of it...

I used to live in Jacksonville, Illinois in 1981 and 1982 and it looked almost exactly like the SMalllville of the tv show ,complete with farms, cornfields, ect. Even down to the only very small amount of African-Americans in the town. It had the same super small town feel. A lot of other towns in the midwest do too.
 Funny it wasn't called the meteor capital of the world, but a large state insane asylum had once been there and was shut down due to budget cuts. The truckers called it loonytown because of that and because so many former inmates were evicted into the common population. Lots of characters!

Anyway, I loved living in Jacksonville but it was a very wierd place and very mayberryish and smallvillesque!

Remember : wherever you go , there you are.
Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005, 05:41:07 AM »

it wasn't too many miles from "Normal , Illinois". I used to tell my friends all the Normal people live in Normal and all the abnormal ones live in Jacksonville.

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2005, 05:43:20 AM »

speaking of Coast City,

wasn't that bogus of DC to just junk the "Haven" storiline in order to make room for the Hal Jordan/Green Lantern's coast city return?
Kind of unfair to fans and the writer too, I thought.

Psybertrack
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2005, 05:52:24 AM »

I think Central City is in the NW corner of Missouri on the Missouri /kansas border and is a twin city of Keystone City, Kansas.

Coast City is on the West coast north of San Francisco in Northern California

the following site has a dcu atlas from the game in an old Rpg.
http://www.karridian.net/dcatlas.html#usa

Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »

So where would you say Fawcett City is then?   I just had to ask.

The Real Captain Marvel!
Shazam!
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2005, 08:43:15 PM »

Never mind. Your map was helpful. It has Fawcett City somewhere near Gary Indiana on Lake Michigan. This map though,
mentions Leesburg Virginia which would be a few short miles to the northwest of Elmond. The city I think it meant it was trying to say was Lynchburg. Something about it just didn't seem right.

The Real Captain Marvel!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L