superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed the general dislike for Superman?  (Read 16264 times)
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 12:40:58 PM »

Your'e right about a dislike of Superman. A million "who can beat up Superman" threads show up at most comic forums but no" who can beat Thor" Etc. However there are usually very passionate Superfans who defend him when he's demeaned or dissed.
    On one hand they claim he's too powerful using vague heresay silver age references and in the next breath claim their favorite hero can crush (usually not just beat crush) him. I often feel the characteristics I enjoy in him, his upstanding character and caring, His personal sacrifice to do the right thing and the fact he is a true hero not a thug are what puts some people off.
            I am NO fan of the dark knight Superman but he seems right when he said that the little men get smaller every year and they hate that giants walk the earth because it makes them even smaller.
             Often I find these same people hate Captain America so I feel its a morals and character issue in many cases not a power one but this is a big generalization so take it with a grain of salt.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
If you all decide to have a STTA get-together at a Big Apple Con, let me know and I'll swing by for it.

S!

That would be soooooo awesome! Cheesy
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 03:27:25 PM »

I live in eastern Canada, so it might be a little tough for me to just "swing by".  But I have to admit it does sound like fun!

Superman and SteamTeck have hit the nail right on the head concerning this subject. Small-minded people always resent the things that remind them of just how small they really are. Tell me ... who's the better role model for kids these days, Superman or Lobo? Superman or Wolverine? Superman or just about anyone else?

Who goes there?!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 03:33:08 PM »

Of course, Superman needs to be accessible to kids by not only the media incarnations but in the comics as well.

When was the last time you saw young kids (6-7 years old) in a comics speciality shop...alone and buying?
Newbie Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 12:13:57 AM »

You're absolutley right Big Blue needs to appeal to kids. I was born in 76 so it was easy for me to discover, then become in awe of him during my first 5yrs of life due to the movies, superfriends, filmation syndication, etc.  But in the present Spider-man rules the imaginations of little boys everywhere due to the success of his movies (which were excellent.)
 As for him being appealing in comics, well that's gonna be hard to accomplish with arcs like For Tomorrow. Hell, I don't have a firm grasp on what's going on there and I'm 28. I could only imagine what it would be like for an 8yr old to try and understand, then stay intrested in that.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 12:38:04 AM »

I first became exposed to Superman through the TV show and then discovered there were comic books.  My mom used to read them to me and I learned to read and had an accelerated learning curve due to my reading the Wesinger era Superman Family (and Batman).  How many 2nd graders knew how to spell "disintergrate" and much less know what it means. (Faulty enlarging rays, folks.)

Much later I discovered that the comics came first and were not a spin off from the TV show and it want until I read a magazine Screen Thrills Illustrated (published by James Warren) that two kids named Siegel and Shuster created an icon.  Not to mention that my real last name is the same and is spelt the same way as Jerry's (no relation).

I'd hate to be a kid today trying to figure out what to do with a weekly allowance and comics are $2.50 minimum.  Probably go rent a video game for a week which is why DC/Marvel top sales are in the 100,000s now and comics were once and had sales figures in  the millions.  A title with sales of 100K would get cancelled (hello Shadow, New Gods, Weird Worlds, etc).

Publishers need to cross pollinate and lure some new readers through media exposure be it films, cartoons or MacDonald promo tie ins.  With no new readers, the market and the quality will continue it's downward spiral no matter what Wizard, Newsrama etc say about "dark being cool".

Let the sunshine in already!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 01:07:01 AM »

Most kids do know who Superman is and love him, but they sure never gotten their little hands on any comics, but from the current Cartoon series on Cartoon Network. At least that Superman actually acts and behaves like the real Superman on that Justice League show (even if he is painfully underpowered) :!:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Newbie Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 01:19:48 AM »

Super Monkey do you think that the JLU Superman is as awe inspiring as the Superfriends Superman? (Please view this question through the eye's of a 3-6yr old)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L