superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE LOCK!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Franken  (Read 20821 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 03:04:45 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
It would be a fun story to have on this site.
But that would be up to the Great one.

And to the story's author/artist.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »

Hey that was good Channukah story~ Thanks, Beppo!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 03:50:36 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Quote from: "Super Monkey"
It would be a fun story to have on this site.
But that would be up to the Great one.

And to the story's author/artist.

S!

If you wanted to add it, I thought just a link to it from here:

http://superman.nu/a/tales-links.php

Rather than host it.

It was created for a Art Gallery show and one of the senior editors at DC did in fact read it and has a copy.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 08:32:39 PM »

Personally I think religion has no place in a comic about a man who's the hero of a world so divided. To each their own I guess.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 09:54:34 PM »

I guess that meant you didn't read it, none of the Kryptonians including Superman was Jewish in the comic.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 02:43:10 AM »

Quote from: "RedSunOfKrypton"
Personally I think religion has no place in a comic about a man who's the hero of a world so divided. To each their own I guess.

I'm not religious myself, but I don't have any problem with religion being in comics. I thought Maggin handled it well--he thought about this stuff a lot and even included it in a few of his stories (like Miracle Monday). As long as someone doesn't use it to promote their own beliefs, but instead to tell a good story, I think it's a good idea.

But you're right: to each his own. I can respect that point of view.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 11:57:54 PM »

I guess that meant you didn't read it, none of the Kryptonians including Superman was Jewish in the comic.
I read it, I just didn't really like some parts of it. My opinion was general, not specifically regarding that particular comic, it just brought it to mind. As for that comic: the art was pretty good, not my favorite style and lacking in colour but it was suiting to the story, and the writing was alright. I really hate the Byrned Krypton, and my stomach was turned at how easily the*spoiler*

Golem popped off Lara's head like a zit (I say easily from the disregard to life standpoint not the physical strength standpoint; I have no problem with a golem being strong). I didn't like the font, it was hard to read in a couple places but that's just a nitpick. As a comic I guess it was 6.5/10 IMO, but I admire the effort.

As long as someone doesn't use it to promote their own beliefs, but instead to tell a good story, I think it's a good idea.
I like that, I just don't like comics going overboard with religious stories. If I wanted to read religious comics I'd pick up the local church gazette.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 02:21:54 AM »

As for that comic: the art was pretty good, not my favorite style and lacking in colour but it was suiting to the story, and the writing was alright.

He is not a superhero guy, most of his comics feature normal people, for which his style fits perfectly. The graytones where not done with Photoshop or ink washes but rather actual lighting! He draws each panel as a separate piece, then sets up the pages and lights them and photographed them to get those effects. I never heard of anyone making comics that way, so I am pretty sure he created the technique.

Golem popped off Lara's head like a zit (I say easily from the disregard to life standpoint not the physical strength standpoint; I have no problem with a golem being strong).

That's how the character was in the myth. however for me what was more disturbing was not the decapitation, which you really didn't see, but the fact that it happen because Lara was going to kill her own son after she found out that he wasn't really from Krypton and of course Jor-El's reaction when he found out what happen to his wife. Again, they stay true to the Bryne versions.

I didn't like the font, it was hard to read in a couple places but that's just a nitpick

The comic was made for an art gallery show, there the pages were much larger so it wasn't an issue, but when it was struck to a mini comic it became one.

I like that, I just don't like comics going overboard with religious stories. If I wanted to read religious comics I'd pick up the local church gazette.

True but the whole thing was done rather tongue and cheek, it's pure satire, the title invokes old B-Movies. Superman's creators were Jewish and names like Jor-El and Kal-El are very Jewish sounding. In fact the boy's name Sar-El was used because it sounded and looks like a "Kryptonian" name, just google it to see where it came from. The Golem was one of the original Jewish superheroes, so it seem only natural to put him in a story about Superman. Indeed, when one of the head editors at DC saw the comic the 1st thing he did was laugh.

It's not really religious story but rather one that is having fun with these points.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L