superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:05:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vartox  (Read 5296 times)
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« on: November 13, 2005, 03:07:55 PM »

Do you remember vartox, this alien Superman's friend, ringer to Sean Connery in "Zardoz", with a skightly balding skull, whiskers and long boots up to his croch. We catch a glimpse of him in "What happened to the Man of Tommoroow" by Alan Moore, but since "Crisis" has taken place, I haven't heard of him. What did he become?

Up, up, up and away!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »

Apparently, he has made one post-Crisis appearance, I think in something by Dan Jurgens, but I haven't read it. It would be nice to see him back, if he were properly handled.

I always liked the idea of Vartox: a few years older than Superman, able to give him advice, and, to all appearances, a long-lost member of the Village People. For some reason, they really liked to put him through the emotional wringer, though. I wish they'd have let him stay on as security chief of the Galaxy Building, so that he and Superman could have had all kinds of Butch-and-Sundance-style escapades.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:54:19 PM »

Indeed, it would be nice Vartox came back.
 Another pre-crisis character I'd like to see again is Captain Strong, sort of Popeye ringer, who got super powers by eating some special seeweed.

Up, up, up and away!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »

Amazing that you should say that! I was just thinking about him last night, trying to remember what his name was. All I could remember was the name of his "spinach": sauncha. The last time I saw him was in a story in, oh, 1981 or thereabouts; I suppose he was resurrected as a sort of tie-in with the Robin Williams Popeye movie.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Kal-L
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:43:10 PM »

Popeye with Robin Williams is an old movie, 1980, though, Superman adventures starring capt strong were issued circa 1973. Sure the character has been inspired by Popeye, besides, his mate's name is Ollie.

Up, up, up and away!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 05:35:03 PM »

I think you have a typo there, Kal-L, buddy.

Captain Strong's love interest was Olivia (as in Olive Oyl, heh heh).

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:25:52 PM »

I dunno maybe in Kal-Land it IS Ollie. :wink:
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:34:50 PM »

That's what we get for referencing the Village People on a thread.

:lol:

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L