superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can kick Superman's butt?  (Read 23547 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »

Well, in and of itself, the above evidence doesn't say anything about Superman's mortality.

However, we have other book evidence indicating at least vastly extended lifespan if not outright immortality (barring accidental or traumatic death).

The World of Krypton miniseries shows Kan-Z surviving for at least a millenium without clone grafts, cyborg parts, nor warsuit enhancement.  That means the normal Kryptonian lifespan for a non-powered, unassisted being is at least 1,000 years back 100,000 years before Jor-El's time.  One would tend to think this would be increased since his time and further enhanced by yellow sun exposure.

DC One Million has Superman-Prime (Kal-El) surviving up until the 853rd century and is implied to be immortal.

An Action Comics team-up with Wonder Woman where they spend a thousand years in Valhalla fighting magical demons jibes with the World of Krypton and DC One Million references above.

Superman: Where is Thy Sting? clearly states Superman is immortal and will survive to the end of Time.  It's suggested that he might outlive the universe.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 02:13:31 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
DC One Million has Superman-Prime (Kal-El) surviving up until the 853rd century and is implied to be immortal.

An Action Comics team-up with Wonder Woman where they spend a thousand years in Valhalla fighting magical demons jibes with the World of Krypton and DC One Million references above.

I have read those as well. Somehow it apparently contradicts the Byrned Superman not being able to survive in the Sun. Also, as I mused in another thread, DC seems to be gradually moving back to the (much more) powerful Silver Age Man of Tomorrow - guess everything cycles eh?

And I have read the DC team up with Wonder Woman which, in part led to my question in the shipper thread.

Thank you for your thoughts.

MK
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 03:45:38 PM »

Byrne's Moan of Steel had the complication of being influenced by the Eradicator during that time he was burned by close proximity to the sun.  In all other portrayals, he's not only able to survive the sun's core, he's actually more powerful from that exposure.

As another point of interest, the solar core is only about 15.6 million K temperature compared with the 100 million K temps in thermonuclear bombs.  Our nukes need to be considerably hotter than the solar core to compensate for the lack of tremendous solar mass pressure assisting the nuclear fusion process.  IOW, it makes absolutely no sense for him to handle 40 MT nukes without even a mild burn but he couldn't tolerate the solar core.  The majority of the Lost Son of Krypton's portrayals jibe with the more rational approach than that one incident.

(And I do like to come up with names to mock Byrne's version of the Metropolis Muddle. heh heh)

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 08:00:07 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Our nukes need to be considerably hotter than the solar core to compensate for the lack of tremendous solar mass pressure assisting the nuclear fusion process.

Not to nitpick, but I was always under the impression that most of the current atomic bombs were fission generated rather than fusion generated. Which would make for a somewhat different line of reasoning in the Superman case  :lol:

MK
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 08:48:36 PM »

First, megaton level nukes tend to be primarily fusion based with the fission aspect only triggering a much higher fusion explosion.  The 40 MT nukes even Byrned Superman withstood are almost certainly fission-fusion bombs.  No pure fusion bombs exist.

Second, the fission trigger for those fission-fusion bombs is what produces those 100 million K plus temps that trigger the fusion explosions.  The fusion aspect kicks things up higher still.

See link and related links on that site:

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq1.html

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2004, 12:05:52 AM »

That site is interesting but scary in terms of the sheer destructive power described.
Thanks  for the link

MK
Bdabeachbum
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2004, 01:07:29 PM »

I recently read a Superman/Batman comic where Superman and Captain Marvel battle briefly. During the battle Superman acknowledges (at least to himself) that toe-to toe Captain Marvel has the advantage because his powers are magic based. Anyone have an explanation why that would be? Seems to me it shouldnt matter, its not like he is hitting him with lightning bolts. If this is true then Wonder Woman should have the same advantage, as she is supposedly fairly close in strength to the two of them.
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2004, 01:40:09 PM »

Quote from: "Bdabeachbum"
I recently read a Superman/Batman comic where Superman and Captain Marvel battle briefly. During the battle Superman acknowledges (at least to himself) that toe-to toe Captain Marvel has the advantage because his powers are magic based.
Superman has a weakness to magic and the supernatural I think.

Short Round is cooler than Indy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L