superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can kick Superman's butt?  (Read 23541 times)
Namrepus
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 01:12:25 AM »

I guess you could add the Spectre to the list, at least the one I remember from the old days of the JLA-JSA team-ups. I hate to concede that anyone could defeat Superman, but the Spectre probably could.
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 01:49:54 AM »

What a bout Bad guys, is thare any Bad guys in the DCU that can kick Superman's butt?

Short Round is cooler than Indy
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 05:07:28 PM »

Pre-Crisis, I think Mongul was the toughest Superman villain.  Superman never beat him one-to-one, and most of their battles seemed to go Mongul's way, despite Superman's best efforts.

Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 07:34:57 PM »

In a pure slug fest, I think Aquaman could give Supes a good run for the money.  living on the ocean floor has to have given him some solid strength.

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 08:22:13 PM »

Quote from: "Just a fan"
In a pure slug fest

Hows about Darkseid?

Short Round is cooler than Indy
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 08:27:12 PM »

True, Aquaman's got super-strength, but nowhere near Superman's level.  Aquaman is not bullet-proof, and I think he'd shatter every bone in his hand if he hit Superman hard enough to knock him out (if he even could).  

Aquaman might have some speed working for him, as he's used to travelling underwater and Superman isn't.  Does Superman still have a limited air supply anymore, or would he have to resurface in order to catch his breath?  That would be another advantage for Aquaman, as would be Aquaman's command of all sea life.  If he was still King of Atlantis, he would also have his armies to throw at Superman.  

As it is, however, all Superman would have to do is fly Aquaman to the desert, and the fight would be over shortly.  The heat would dehydrate Aquaman and weaken him, thus nullifying his strength, and there is no sea life to aid him.

Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 08:35:28 AM »

Quote from: "Gernot"
Pre-Crisis, I think Mongul was the toughest Superman villain.  Superman never beat him one-to-one, and most of their battles seemed to go Mongul's way, despite Superman's best efforts.

That's just because Supes doesn't kill..

but if we do the math here, Pre-supes has potentially infinite strength (same with the hulk)..

And Mongul doesn't have super speed...

And Mongul can't fly..

A blitzkrieging Pre-supes can flatten Pre-mongul in a split second (remember he's fast enough to travel through time).

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 09:16:05 AM »

In "The Man Who Has Everything", wasn't Superman mad enough to kill Mongul?  Mongul was still able to take what Superman was dishing out, and if not for Robin's interference, wasn't Mongul about to win their battle?    

That's a lot of what I actually liked about Mongul.  Jim Starlin had introduced a new character into the Superman mythos who was so tough that Superman's superior speed and other abilities hardly mattered to him.  Sure, Superman could hurt Mongul, and Mongul would certainly know he was in a fight, but it made their battles all the more exciting!  The reader never knew for certain that Superman would actually be able to beat that monster.  

In the DCCP team-up with Starman, Mongul was still able to fight, but for his own cowardice.  Superman even admitted how glad he was that that was true to Starman, due to his own tiredness.  

I know only of a few appearances Mongul made against Superman Pre-Crisis:  the 3-parter with Martian Manhunter, Supergirl, and Spectre, the afore-mentioned team-up with Starman, and "The Man Who Has Everything."  I can't recall if Mongul was in The DC Challenge, but were there any other appearances?  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L