superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which origin should Superman have?  (Voting closed: December 28, 2004, 04:42:00 PM)
Byrne's MOS - 4 (11.1%)
Loeb's Silver-Age redux - 2 (5.6%)
Waid's Birthright - 6 (16.7%)
Weisinger Silver/Bronze Age ("pre Crisis") origin - 16 (44.4%)
original Siegel & Shuster origin - 5 (13.9%)
all of the above - 2 (5.6%)
something else; none of the above - give details - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which origin do you prefer?  (Read 35058 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 02:07:06 AM »

nah, Doomday is still lamer.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 02:11:38 AM »

Worst-case scenario:  Doomsday puts on facepaint and tries to sell me phone service.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 05:01:42 AM »

I think it says a lot about Doomsday when his animated counterpart is far more interesting than the comic version. The Cyborg Superman is even worse, though.

I always felt that the whole "Death of Superman" storyline could've been done much better. If they HAD to kill Superman, why didn't they just have Luthor or Brainiac do the deed? Or, if they wanted a big fight, Mongul would've been a good choice.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 06:51:38 AM »

And such a boring way to die in a comicbook, too.  I can just see how Jurgens must have plotted that part:

"They punch each other a lot and then they fall down.  And then they ... uh ... die.  Okay, I got nothin' here.  Better make it all splash-pages."

They should have used it as a way of outing Luthor, or something like that.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 08:12:14 AM »

I guess one of the reasons old-school fans disliked the new Lex was the way it reflectied on Superman --if he can't protect the world from a corrupt businessman how powerful/smart could he be?  And conversely, what kind of threat is a businessman for the greatest superhero?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 11:55:02 AM »

Sorry. I like Weisingerman too, just like everyone else on this board-- but my all-time favorite of the Superman Avatars is "Longhair Superman", an evolved variant of byrne's Superman.

Besides, Byrne's Krypton is much more meaningful then a suposedly "benevolent" Krypton, whose society was a wet towel when it came to killing somebody, but would doom them insteadt to un-life in the Phantom Zone; some of them for eternity, like poor Jax-Ur.  :shock:
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »

Quote from: "Beyonder"
. . . Besides, Byrne's Krypton is much more meaningful then a suposedly "benevolent" Krypton, whose society was a wet towel when it came to killing somebody, but would doom them insteadt to un-life in the Phantom Zone; some of them for eternity, like poor Jax-Ur.  :shock:

How is Byrne's Krypton more meaningful? Byrne made his Krypton sterile and emotionless for the sole purpose of killing the cool Kryptonian part of the Superman mythos, so he could say "Superman's home planet isn't worth revisiting, and it deserved to blow up anyway". Every time the Iron Age Superman came under some kind of Kryptonian influence, it always had a negative effect i.e. he became cold and unfeeling and tried to take over the world or something.

I'll agree that pre-Crisis Krypton's Phantom Zone punishment is ethically and morally questionable, but that alone doesn't make Byrne's Krypton better.
Mizrael
Supermen of America

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »

Ok, so who're the other 3 old farts who Voted Siegler & Shuster like me?  :roll: In my own personal reality, Doomsday and the death of Superman don't exist!  :shock: Not to mention the many deaths of Supergirl!  :?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L