superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS **SPOILERS** review thread  (Read 37771 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »

I am not ashamed to say I love Superman Returns.

I though it was clearly superior to the four Christopher Reeve films - although personally I thought he was great in the role - particularly the last two films, which I thought were duds.

Even Superman I & II despite their good points, had a few serious flaws which prevented them from being great films, in my opinion.

Superman Returns was refreshingly free of camp, and it is a relief to finally see a Lex Luthor not surrounded by cretinous henchmen, which a man of his intelligence would not actually tolerate for a moment.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
Superman Returns was refreshingly free of camp, and it is a relief to finally see a Lex Luthor not surrounded by cretinous henchmen, which a man of his intelligence would not actually tolerate for a moment.

Ned Beatty is a wonderful character actor, to be sure, but he seemed out of place in Luthor's whole world.  You are right, though, that the ex-con goons that Lex used in SUPERMAN RETURNS were certainly intimidating.

Was I the only one that cracked a big fat smile on seeing that Kumar himself working for Lex Luthor? Kumar, how COULD you? Maybe he went to jail for getting that cheetah stoned back in HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE.

It does make sense though, that someone as vain and egotistical as Lex would surround himself with slower people like his sidekick, Kitty Kozlowski. Many people enjoy feeling superior and bullying others, and so they surround themselves with dumb people (some say this was the reason for Bush Sr.'s appointment of Dan Quayle). This is a common behavior, and it somehow seems so very right for someone like Lex Luthor.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 10:01:09 PM »

As much as I loved the film, I was thinking about why I felt that the plot was lacking, and it was actually due to how few lines the characters actually had in the film. I don't know if anyone notice that Superman and even Clark barely said anything. Jimmy Olsen and Lex Luthor were the only ones who got to talk, part of his gimmick, which is one of the reasons they stood out.

Anyone else noticed this?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 10:17:46 PM »

Yeah.  Theres usually a good reason for that- - ie action figures cant act mebbe.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »

There was a lot of hammy things that Reeves said that I thought were memorable, Routh, not so much, I was a lot more stirred by the shots of him in flight and using his powers than anything he said...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 12:29:24 AM »

His Clark Kent was pretty good however, nerdy but not cartoonish, we laughed because he was such an awkward nerd but like real life awkward nerd like we all have seen before! The way he tried so hard for Lois to notice him with his cheesy smile and wave, and the awkard way he greeted her with a kiss and hug or tried to anyway, it was perfect. Even teh way he ate food was funny, well the way Jimmy ate that barrio was even funnier.

We laughed not because he was a campy goofy cornball like the original films, which was funny, but in a different way, we laughed because we know people like that, or used to be like that, or still are, LOL. :lol:  Tongue  :lol:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 12:49:50 AM »

That was the weirdest part of the movie for me, though...its almost in a nether world of a continuation of a previous story, but at the same time it naturally has different takes on the characters...it left me in the middle a lot...or thinking about it more than I should have...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 01:34:26 AM »

It might be the kind of movie that actually gets better every time you see it.

I actually can't wait for the DVD for the extra scenes Smiley

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L