superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:56:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS **SPOILERS** review thread  (Read 37763 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:49 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
I agree Bosworth's hotter than Kidder, but so is Eva Marie Saint even at her current age.  In fact, I'd rather see Frank Langella in a slinky gown than Margot Kidder.

To be fair, in Superman I with the right cinematography and lighting and such, Kidder was marginal.  Even at that, Ursa got it right with the "what an undemanding male this Superman must be" quip.

As for Parker Posey, I'd have thought she'd be a perfect Lois herself.  I can only guess she's considered officially "too old" now by Hollywood standards.

I like Parker Posey, but she's not Lois (or Miss Teschmacher, for that matter).  She's just too edgy.  I was skeptical of casting a bottle brunette, but the look worked right with Bosworth.  

For all we know, there's no such thing as Kryptonian weaponry anyway.  Unless interlocked, spinning hoola hoops are weapons.

Think "Phantom Zone Projector", with modern special effects.  Smiley

As for going to Krypton, it was a dumb idea if you had time to think about it.

The fallout with Lois and the kid and such makes sense if you accept the "Superman goes away for 5 years" premise.  It just never rang true with me.  Maybe they thought it was necessary as a metaphor for getting us to get past Reeve, but then they go out of their way to mimic Superman I.
jezor
Superman Fan

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 02:57:17 AM »

It's interesting to me how many people (including me) use the phrase "channeling Christopher Reeve" to describe Routh's acting.  You have to wonder if he was doing it consciously, or whether the director led him down that road.  

That said, I really liked the movie.  I didn't expect to be as ebullient as I was as an 11-year-old seeing the original, and I wasn't, but it was well made, visually impressive, and a solid Superman movie.  None of the Superman films (I'm not even thinking about IV, which should be erased from history) had the depth of character that the Spider-Man films do, and that's actually reasonable, given that Spider-Man was from the outset a much more character-driven (and psychologically complex) book.  I do think, though, that both Routh and Kate Bosworth found a much greater depth in their emotions than did either Chris Reeve (as wonderful as he was) and Margot Kidder (who was simply shrill through much of her parts).  Unfortunately, Kevin Spacey was a bit too campy for my grown-up sensibilities, and Parker Posey was (as I've said elsewhere) channeling Valerie Perrine's Miss Tessmacher in a *big* way.

I'm going to see the film again, with my 8-year-old (unless I decide the violence is a bit too intense for him), and I'm looking forward to it.  {Jonathan}
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »

I saw the movie again yesterday.  I liked it better the second time.  It was one of those movies that had to grow on me a little.   Cheesy

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Ethan
Superman's Pal

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 10:43:47 AM »

I really really liked the movie. It was long ago that I was this enthousiastic and excited. When he first put his suit back on, i got goosebumps all over. Yes superman is back!
I think Routh does it magnificent, his voice even reminds me of Reeve. Routh is an excellent SM, even though I had my doubts at first. Just like the costume, I even really like it now, except the hideous boots.

But I don't think Kate can pull it of as Lois, imo very very bad casting. To me she's too candy, too sweet, too spidermanny. Nope, bad bad.

I sometimes did get a 'Spiderman'-feel, wich was NOT pleasant. (I do like SM very much, but SM is the ultimate hero)

The last twenty minutes in the hospital is WHAT THE F**K? What's this? It was soooo bad, soooo tacky, sooo wrong, soooo unnecessary. Terrible. Superman in the hospital? Come on! That ruïned it a bit for me.

I'm not sure either about the son-storyline. Seems a bit dodgy to me.

Whas the kid wearing a spiderman-pyjamas at the end? I would've liked that  :lol:

Some flyingscenes are not that good, eg when he en Lois fly next to her house over the water was imo terrible and I expected more from scenes like this. Also the jumping in the grass was too animated to me, sometimes reminded me of Toy Story. Routh wears too much makeup too.
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »

Ok, first off, pardon my bad spelling. "Superman Returns" is hands down is the best movie of all time--even my grandama argees with me. Those who hate them--and rate "Superman Returns" below a 10 mean to be trapped on in a Krypton before it's doomsday--and I don't care which one it is--as long as those haters say away from the Argo City's land mass--since Argo usually escapes Krypton's doomsday.

The kid was fine--he didn't talk much--and with the piano and the talking Superman gives him--it's sounds like Jason is Clark's son is very logical-and I have a reason for that: Superman tooked off before Lois become pregent after "Superman II".Richard White was given less then do then the others. The other characters did fine work. Lex's plan--thought a little flaw--still worked bettern then his other plans.  I think it hit the sequal mark for WB--and even Richard Donner, the director of the first Reeves's "Superman" movie argees--as he called it--a good "rebooting"--unlike Bryne's "Man of Steel".  

If you like "Superman" see "Superman Returns!"

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
stumpy
Superman Fan

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »

A couple quick thoughts/notes:

Jason is wearing Aquaman pajamas, which I thought was pretty cool.

Also, I thought the scenes with Jason were pretty good, generally.  But I really don't want to see the franchise take on a "Superman and the Emerging Superboy" theme.  Too silly and predictable.  I like the kid but they should not have made him Superman's son.

Meanwhile, the timeline should erase any question about whether he is or is not the first son of the last son of Krypton.  Jason has a birthdate, right?  Where was Superman nine months earlier?  That's pretty much it.  I mean, they never tell us in the movie, but there is no way Supes wouldn't figure it out.  Either he was around when Lois had to have gotten pregnant or he was light years away.  

I know the "nine months" isn't an exact, atomic clock kind of thing, but it should be plenty good enough for these purposes.  After all, I don't believe that Lois was in an intimate relationship with Richard White while Clark was still around and Clark didn't even know about it (and hadn't even met White).  And I don't believe that Superman disappears and the first thing Lois does is get busy with someone completely new before even being sure the love of her life is gone for good.

I would love to hear a good explanation of how the timeline shouldn't have made Jason's son/non-son status clear to Clark pretty quickly.
KavMan
Supermen of America

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »

People are picking up little things which they feel made the film "Okay".

For me there were only two things I didn't like.

The way Routh delivered that line to Lois on the roof; "Lois... Will you come with me?"

I felt there was nothing he gave in that line.

And the hospital thing. Singer shouldn't have done that.
It would have been so much better if after he fell to Earth, to cut to Lois' house where he gave the speech.

Other than that. The Greatest, Epic Superman Story told.

From the opening titles with that John Williams score and Dick Donner style lettering. Truly a class act

15 out of 10.

[cK]

Swell
SuperGirl Returns
Superman Fan

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2006, 11:57:34 AM »

I've seen the Superman movie a few days ago and I really enjoyed it.

Can't wait for the sequel!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L