superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman is vegetarian, right?  (Read 25726 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 06:05:36 AM »

Was it on this Superman board or some other one that somebody said I was homophobe? I forget.

We were talking about the Martin Pasko Superman years, specifically the Mr. Mxyzptlk-created gender-switched world, and I said some smarmy comment to the effect of "Well, at last we know what Wonder Woman would look like as a man: a gay Olympic gymnast."

Somebody didn't like that, but the comment was delivered less out of homophobia than out of the fact that it is TOTALLY AND OBJECTIVELY TRUE.

C'mon people...LOOK!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »

Remember how sick Clark got when the school bus hit the dog while Clark was studying an anthill? I think it was Miracle Monday but I'm not sure.  Maybe Last Son of Krypton.  Combine that with the self-righeousness I mentioned earlier (the early Superboy was often confused and pprone to overreaction --which is not to say that vegetarianism is an overreaction to the moral quandry of meat-eating).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
You do know I am not really a monkey right? :oops:

Whaaaaaaaaaa?  :?:  :!:  :x

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Was it on this Superman board or some other one that somebody said I was homophobe? I forget.

It must have been on here because I seem to remember it; was it that semi-literate guy who got booted? I don't entirely agree that Wonder Man looks like a gay gymnast, because he's a little too musclebound, but why does he have to have full-length tights, that's what I want to know.

TELLE... the cannibal thing has me convulsed.

To get back to the subject, though, I remember Bronze Age Superman mentioning that he doesn't even need to eat, presumably because he just processes solar radiation for nutrition; that way, it makes sense for him to be a vegetarian, because, well, you know, why kill an animal when you don't even have to eat it? To quote the latest issue of Action Comics, "Superman don't roll like that!"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 02:55:52 AM »

To quote Kurt from the DC Comics Message Boards:

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
> By the way, can Superman still see or sense other
> people's auras, a la Birthright?

No. Nor is he a vegetarian.

kdb

So there!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 08:25:19 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"

kdb

So there!

Oh. Errr... Well. I've been extolling the virtues of Busiek's writing on Superman so much that I'm going to look like a complete pillock now by saying that yeah, well, that's only his opinion. And it's wrong.

I wonder if this is going to spur a debate of such proportions that DC will ban any depiction of Superman or Clark eating? So far, in his new incarnation, we've only seen him eating a pretzel, which is inconclusive. Oh, and he was fixing dinner for Lois recently too. What were they having? Wasn't it fish? Is that okay?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 05:41:09 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"

kdb

So there!

Oh. Errr... Well. I've been extolling the virtues of Busiek's writing on Superman so much that I'm going to look like a complete pillock now by saying that yeah, well, that's only his opinion. And it's wrong.

I wonder if this is going to spur a debate of such proportions that DC will ban any depiction of Superman or Clark eating? So far, in his new incarnation, we've only seen him eating a pretzel, which is inconclusive. Oh, and he was fixing dinner for Lois recently too. What were they having? Wasn't it fish? Is that okay?

Well, the only properly interesting part of my original post was the bit about Kent enjoying the pleasures forbidden for Superman, which may (or may not) include eating meat. I really was wondering if Kal-El experiences Kent and Superman as being such separate people that one (Kent) can enjoy what is taboo for the other (Superman).

One thing I do know: the Man of Steel in either identity would feel distress (and probably anger) at witnessing any kind of deliberate cruelty to an animal, no matter how small or "primitive" or "insignificant". But the question of whether or not to eat animals that have been butchered is something of a grey area, as it must be for a great many intelligent people -- or we wouldn't be having this debate at all.

The next very difficult decision for Superman, as he sits down to his roast beef, is whether or not he will interfere in animal experimentation (ie. vivisection) which takes place on a grand scale in universities and drug company laboratories the world over. This, I feel, would not be such a grey area, but which still ignites furious debate, and probably will for generations to come.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »

Permanus writes:

I don't entirely agree that Wonder Man looks like a gay gymnast, because he's a little too musclebound, but why does he have to have full-length tights, that's what I want to know.

Because without them, he'd look REALLY gay!  :lol:

Actually, I'm a lot more suspicious of that guy in the Supergirl blouse and hot pants.  :shock:

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L