superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman trashes Wayne Boring's studio!  (Read 9183 times)
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« on: July 23, 2006, 04:28:35 AM »

Ok, so every now and again in my research I find a series of strips that make me burst out laughing in the library (and cause me to get a stern glare from the librarian...)

This is from Episode 68 "Koffee with the Kents" from the 1951 daily strip.
The gist of it is, during the episode, Superman is booked on Lois and Clark's morning radio show (go with me...they are married, and have a radio show).  So in he comes, and sits down next to Clark Kent.

Cut to the outside world, and a newspaper strip reader is confused as to how Superman is shown in the same panel as Clark Kent.  So naturally he heads over to Wayne Boring's studio to have him explain it.

So Boring decides it'd be simpler for Superman to explain it to him, and he calls him in (evidently he's been using him as a model to make his drawings more accurate....seriously...it says that).  In order to convince the man that he is real, Superman proceeds to trash Wayne Boring's studio.

Anyhow, these are just a few strips from this storyline, but I bet it was as fun to create as it was to read Smiley

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:21:39 AM »

I think that is awesome.

I wonder if that is the only time Boring drew himself into the strip or comics...

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »

I'm sure it wouldn't have happened in the comics.

Having read many hundreds of Superman, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Supergirl, and Legion of Super-Hero stories edited by Mort Weisinger, I can tell you that not one of them features an appearance by a member of the creative team, whether it be writer or artist.

Of course, it was different in the Schwartz-edited comics where the writers and/or artists made an occasional appearance.
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »

It's true that Mort didn't like to pull back the curtain and remind the young readers that someone was actually writing and drawing these stories the way that Julius Schwartz (or Stan Lee) often did.

The only real exception I can think of is "The Night of March 31st!" from SUPERMAN # 145 (and reprinted in the recent SHOWCASE PRESENTS SUPERMAN VOL. 2)... the story where weird and inexplicable things keep happening as an April Fools joke. There is one panel where Clark is changing to Superman in the Daily Planet storeroom as usual, but two guys who appear to be Curt Swan and Morty are standing right there watching him, unnoticed. Of course, that story is obviously a special case.

Kurt Schaffenberger liked to draw "cameo appearances" of a guy who looked like him in the background of many of his stories (maybe inspired by Alfred Hitchcock making cameo appearances in his films?).
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »

I've read that story a few times, Continental, but I failed to recognize them in previous readings. I must dig up that comic and have another look.

That case was obviously an "in-joke" (especially considering the comedic nature of the story), rather than a public acknowledgment of the writer or artists involved.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »

Aren't there Superman stories (I know there is a green arrow story) involving cartoonists/comics strips?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 07:08:49 AM »

Man, how I loved Wayne Boring's style! He is almost unknown here, but some reprint gave me the chance to see some of his works. Wonderful. The first Superman/Batman team up is one of my favorite stories from the pre-Crisis era and, for me, his best work.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:08:27 AM »

some websites:

http://www.wayneboring.com/

http://www.pigdogproductions.com/wayne%20boring.html

http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/superart/wayneboring.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L