superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE LOCK!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super-Scholars: When has Superman moved planets?  (Read 12275 times)
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 01:36:49 AM »

Superman's heat vision was able to make stars go nova or even super-nova, depending on the type/size star.  His super-breath was able to "blow out" stars.  Those powers were said to be minor compared to his strength.  It did seem to take all of his strength to move the earth.  However he was able to move bigger planets with greater ease.  Of course it always seemed like he was keeping power levels in check when he was on earth.  Over time his "holding back" reflex probably became automatic.  Thus moving earth would seem to take all his strength.  To do it he had fight his own inhibitions & holding back reflex.  There was never (to my knowledge anyway) any real upper limit set to his speed.  In one story he flew so fast, he literally flew out of the Earth-1 universe.  If not the entire multiverse.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 01:54:12 AM »

Of course this all changed from writer to writer and story to story, if a story called for Superman to snuff a Sun with a puff of his breath then he would, if another needed him to use all his strength to move the Earth he did. Another story could call for him to move 12 planets without straining, so he did. He could knock out a uber powerful giant Monster with a light tap in one story and get knocked around himself by another smaller monster who was far less powerful in another story.

There was never a cannon set power level for Superman Pre-Crisis.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 08:25:16 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

There was never a cannon set power level for Superman Pre-Crisis.

What about the Ultra-Nikru Cannon  -- the most deadly weapon ever constructed on Krypton -- that fired "super-ammunition"?   :wink:

DTO
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
Superman's heat vision was able to make stars go nova or even super-nova, depending on the type/size star.  His super-breath was able to "blow out" stars.  Those powers were said to be minor compared to his strength.  It did seem to take all of his strength to move the earth.  However he was able to move bigger planets with greater ease.  Of course it always seemed like he was keeping power levels in check when he was on earth.  Over time his "holding back" reflex probably became automatic.  Thus moving earth would seem to take all his strength.  To do it he had fight his own inhibitions & holding back reflex.

I question the first parts of your statement---or rather, would appreciate you citing a source. I've never known Superman's heat vision to ignite anything but an already artificial star, whose rules for working might be different from what we know. Nor do I remember him ever blowing out a star. (I do remember one story where Superman's powers were amplified by a near-omnipotent alien, where he was AFRAID something like that might happen.) I do remember Superboy moving a group of planets, threaded like beads on a string, but of course it depends on their size---several planets as small as the Moon or even Mars would be relatively easy to move for a being who can move the Earth with all his strength.)

I'm not, of course, saying you're wrong. Would just appreciate you citing a source. Also the "moving bigger planets"---I can't recall a time when he moved a planet where he mentioned, specfically, it was bigger than Earth.

Thanks!---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 02:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
In one story he flew so fast, he literally flew out of the Earth-1 universe.  If not the entire multiverse.

Oh, I DO recall the source for this one. The DC Presents where he's pursuing an unconscious Supergirl and meets the Spectre, right? Where the Spectre mentions that the only barrier he could cross next in his speed was the barrier to the Afterlife, right? But we know so little about that---just as he seems to be able to go back in time if he goes faster than light, there might be a similar effect throwing him out of the "living" dimentions into the land of the dead when he reaches a certain multiple of c. At least the length to the edge of the Milky Way I can measure.---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

Quote from: "alschroeder"
Nor do I remember him ever blowing out a star.    Thanks!---Al

Superman No. 91

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Superman No. 91

Much oblidged! I'll look it up!---Al

Think again.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 02:08:55 AM »

Actually it was never stated what that last barrier was.  It was only stated that Kal crossing that barrier would cause the destruction of everything.  Or something to that effect.  It was safe for Kara to cross that barrier (according to the Spectre, anyway) because she was unconscious.  Even if that "string" of planets Superboy moved was made up of moon or mars size worlds, that would still add up to moving something bigger than earth. :wink:

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L