superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 06:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone else thinking the reboot will be their "jumping off" point?  (Read 14507 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:19:34 AM »

I find it impossible to explain this to people on the DC message boards. Because, when taken bit by bit, it seems like I am being unreasonable. "What you're going to give up on these comics because of______?" But it's the totality of everything. It's hard to get that across. And when you've been getting these books for 45 years, every little failure adds up to one big oppressive wrong.

That's very nicely put, and sums up my own story.  There was no one thing that put me off DC comics.  Indeed I wonder if there really was anyone who stuck to his guns after declaring "that's it! I'm quitting!" in the wake of a single slight, however huge it may have seemed at the time.  Rather what drove me away was an accumulation of little things; my interest  died the death of a thousand cuts.  One day I just looked around and realized there was nothing left.  Actually I probably kept going as much as six months or so before it sank in.

Rao, that latest JLA image, ironically, is the first one yet to make the redesign look good to me.  It helps that Lee got his face right this time.  And if he looks young, he's not alone.  Batman looks like Bob Haney's "Batman Junior" character.

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »

my interest  died the death of a thousand cuts. 
Yep, pretty much the same here; over the last couple of years, I seem to have lost my interest in comics almost entirely as a result of too much style over content - and not particularly attractive style, at that. I still drop by the shop every now and then, but I just feel overwhelmed by a tsunami of interchangeable, badly-drawn covers. Hey! I grew up!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »

I've largely ignored the Superman books since Busiek left, but I'll be buying the "Superman" and "Action Comics" titles of this reboot. I'm pleased to see they're also selling digital comics (though $3-$4 for a digital book's a ripoff IMO). I liked Morrison's Superman (and like Perez), so willing to give it a shot. That said, I do have some concerns about the reboot (summarized here: http://www.anthonynotes.com/2011/05/31/dc-announces-a-complete-continuity-reboot-again-post-flashpoint/ ).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:26:01 PM by Johnny Nevada » Logged

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »

the premise is stupid

but I'd like to see Morrison's early adventures of superman even though I hate the "early" adventures of anyone especially compared to their normal regular adventures (no offense superboy or Young Indiana Jones)

India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:59:55 AM »

I'm kinda disappointed in Mr. Morrison. I've never always agreed with his beliefs or his approach to stories, but I've always thought he was a man who lived according to his own code. I get the feeling he has sold out.

While Dan DiDio might not understand the historical worth of DC, Morrison surely does. He should see that they are breaking faith with certain traditions.

Why would he allow his run to appear in a comic called Action Comics no. 1? He's never struck me as the ego-tripping type like Byrne or McFarlane who would need to have his own number 1 of a pre-existing title. And he has such schlep with DC that he could have easily said NO to that.

Aside from Legion, this is the one title that I am the most interested in reading--but I will never buy it, because of the numbering and the flagrant disregard for DC's history.

With just a few small changes, DC still could have had their relaunch AND retained the loyalty of old guard fans like me--who may be stick in the muds, but still want a good reason to continue buying DC. Even if they don't respect our futzy little concerns about tradition, they could have easily given us that, just to keep us in the family.

India Ink
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

With just a few small changes, DC still could have had their relaunch AND retained the loyalty of old guard fans like me--who may be stick in the muds, but still want a good reason to continue buying DC. Even if they don't respect our futzy little concerns about tradition, they could have easily given us that, just to keep us in the family.

It's been so long since I was on this message board, or any message board for that matter, that I found myself looking for the "Like" button to register my approval of this post.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 12:26:37 AM »

Oh please. Superman and Action comics are gonna be back to their original numbering scheme soon enough. Certainly in time for Action 1000, many many years away.

Jumping off because "they changed it, now it stinks" is a bad idea. These stories aren't going to be awful. Probably most of them will be good. I don't like that they changed the numbering, but I'm not going to boycott Morrison's run on Action and blame him for not leaving the numbering how it is! He probably never even considered that, and even if he did, I don't think it would matter. It would just make the company look inconsistent to reboot everything but Action Comics, and he probably understands that, and realizes that there is no way the history will just all be abandoned.
It'll be back to it's traditional numbering within ten years at the longest, probably much much sooner then that.
Until then, we'll probably get some decent stories, even if they don't involve the mythology we're used to.

I can wait for them to get back into it. Just ride the wave when it's good and roll with the punches when it's bad.  Wink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »

This is more of a "jumping-on" point for me than a "jumping off."  In one of the original announcements about this revamp (and note that DC has never called this a "reboot" - in fact, they've stated that it isn't a reboot), someone - possibly Jim Lee - invoked the memory of Byrne's "Man of Steel" mini-series and how excited he was back when it came out, that it was his own version of the character, he could start reading right at the beginning.  Although I later came to dislike the series, at the time I felt the same way.

I have no idea what "Blackest Night" or "New Krypton" is - and I don't want to know and I'm tired of seeing references to them.  I've forgotten "Infinite Crisis" and I have no idea what other mega-cross-over events have happened since.  I actually hope that this is a full-on reboot - so that I can just dive right in at the beginning of the story, know everything that's going on, and forget about Doomsday and all the stuff that's happened since - especially the last 5-10 years, which I have pretty much completely missed and have no interest in at all.

So I'm actually looking forward to it.  To those who dislike the idea - have you been reading Superman recently?  Do you have an attachment to the character that he currently is?  Do you even know his current origin?  I sure don't.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:38:10 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L