superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE STANDARD NIGHTMARE!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What might you reject?  (Read 27876 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »

I think you have the Superpets all wrong. The Streaky the cat wasn't from Krypton, so it was just a normal cat most of the time. Comet the horse, was really a man, Supergirl even dated him and married him once! Keep the jokes to yourselves, human aren't pets, and he was not from Krypton. Beppo spent most of his time in Space and was rarely ever in any comics. He was from Krypton. It actually makes sense to test a rocket with a monkey or ape rather than a dog, since that's what we humans did in real life!

Lots of Iron Age fans try to make it seem that these types of stories happen all the time, but truth is they were very rare, and you can collect them all with little problem, except for Krypto who appeared in a lot of tales, that's why people actually know and like him. You hardly ever got to see Streaky or Comet unless you read Supergirl. Beppo was just in Superboy for the most part. These animals hardly appear in the actual Superman comics at all.

They only appeared together a handful of times and that was in The Legion of Super-heroes Comic!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 11:09:43 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I think you have the Superpets all wrong. The Streaky the cat wasn't from Krypton, so it was just a normal cat most of the time. Comet the horse, was really a man, Supergirl even dated him and married him once! Keep the jokes to yourselves, human aren't pets, and he was not from Krypton. Beppo spent most of his time in Space and was rarely ever in any comics. He was from Krypton. It actually makes sense to test a rocket with a monkey or ape rather than a dog, since that's what we humans did in real life!

I know the entire history of the super-pets already, but thank you for restating it for those not familiar with it. Anyway, whether they were from Krypton or not wasn't really a factor to me. Frankly, I like Kryptonian survivors--it allows for much more stories. Krypto was obviously a cool character (especially in Maggin's Starwinds Howl), but the other pets never really did it for me.

Comet would've been more interesting if he were actually a centaur (wasn't there a story where he was?) and as for Beppo, well, let's just say that I prefer Titano to him. But I do agree with you that it makes much more sense to send a primate into space rather than a dog. I suppose Streaky was okay since he didn't have his powers all the time. Still, I prefer only one super-pet--Krypto.

Lots of Iron Age fans try to make it seem that these types of stories happen all the time, but truth is they were very rare, and you can collect them all with little problem, except for Krypto who appeared in a lot of tales, that's why people actually know and like him. You hardly ever got to see Streaky or Comet unless you read Supergirl. Beppo was just in Superboy for the most part. These animals hardly appear in the actual Superman comics at all.

They only appeared together a handful of times and that was in The Legion of Super-heroes Comic!

The reason that those fans say that is because they're promoting an agenda. They want to turn people away from the past in a Brave New World-esque way. In short, they look down on the past and don't want anyone to enjoy it.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »

Yeah, Comet WAS a centaur (named Byron?) who wanted to be a man, but whom Circe unwittingly changed to a horse...because of all this, I always had a hard time seeing him as a "pet" or "belonging" to Supergirl...
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 11:32:58 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Yeah, Comet WAS a centaur (named Byron?) who wanted to be a man, but whom Circe unwittingly changed to a horse...because of all this, I always had a hard time seeing him as a "pet" or "belonging" to Supergirl...

That sounds pretty cool. I LOVE Greek mythology. Plus, this also indirectly ties Comet into Wonder Woman's sphere of influence.

Speaking of the super-pets, I actually have wallpaper on my computer featuring all of them (the wallpaper features Alex Ross' Superman art).

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 11:44:55 PM »

I kind of like the mythology woven in too...

I had the issue growing up (Action # 293), I think Byron fell in love with Circe, but some evil wizard didn't like it and monkeyed with a potion she gave him to turn him into a man and instead turned him into a horse, and that she couldn't figure out how to reverse it...I never knew if Wonder Woman's mythos ever crossed paths though...I guess that later, it was expanded, a comet passing by could change him to a human, who was Supergirl's boyfriend and could go by Bronco Billy for a while (? I've read, didn't have the issues)...

Krypto was a smart dog all right, but I never saw him with such a human backstory, so Comet was never really a pet to me...I also liked how he was a stop gap emergency vehicle because he was unaffected by things that led to loss of powers in Krytonians...I'm glad Comet had a stable mentality, a rogue and evil Comet the Superhorse would have been a darn powerful enemy... Cheesy
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 07:30:21 AM »

Rejecting things is the province of the fan, not the professional. If it's a part of a character's venerable history it isn't yours to detract or eliminate. That's something I'm just saying in case there are any future comics writers on this board that think fun, idle speculation among fans like this gives them the right to monkey around with storied past. (Hey, you never know...)

That said, as this is just a fun question and answer thing about what about the SuperMythos didn't work:

Captain Strong. The fact that the guy was an obvious Popeye clone always bugged me, because it was an act of intellectual theft. True, he was an "homage" to a character that was part of the inspiration for Superman, but you can't build a recurring character around an homage.

The Prankster. Sure, he's a longtime member of the Superman Rogues Gallery, but he's not different enough from the various prank and practical joke wielding villians of the period to really justify his existence.

The Superman of 2965. They kind of already have a 30th Century with the Legion of Superheroes, which had a much more interesting future world. Saying either one or the other is the true future means the other didn't happen, and if I had to pick one, it would be Legion's.

Different colored Kryptonite was unusual, but it was interesting and odd. Red Kryptonite was less like a radioactive rock and more like LSD. I love how in Alan Moore's Supreme, the only variety of the Kryptonite-like metal that existed was the kind that created unpredictable transformations.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 09:46:35 PM »

Ok, so I still have to snicker about Supergirl dating a horse. I can't help it. :lol:

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 02:15:16 AM »

>>The Superman of 2965. They kind of already have a 30th Century with the Legion of Superheroes, which had a much more interesting future world. Saying either one or the other is the true future means the other didn't happen, and if I had to pick one, it would be Legion's.
<<

Which is why they soon retconned his time-era into being *2465*.

Granted, I don't ever recall Professor Zoom, the "Reverse-Flash", mentioning there was a version of Superman running around in his era, seeing as how Zoom was *from* 2465 (or thereabouts; see that "Flash" cover with Barry punching Zoom back to 2465)... ;-)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L