superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman under a red sun - in the past!  (Read 10390 times)
IpComics
Superman Fan

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:11:15 PM »

Hi

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
That may be the story he wants.  I even remember the cover had Superman being blasted on the chest without his powers but I don't recall the exact number nor the title.

That sounds very close! But it should be before 1971, as I am sure I did read it in the 60es!

Thanks anyway!

IpComics
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 01:36:53 AM »

IpComics, you may want to look at the cover scans at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics. It could take a while, especially if you have a slow link, but you may find the issue you are looking for.

Since the story involves Superman under a red sun, I would bet that it was published after 1954. That is just a guess on my part, because I seem to recall that the yellow sun/red sun thing was introduced in the mid-50s. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Based on the above, you should start looking at Superman #94 and Action Comics #200. If this could actually be a Superboy story, you also need to see the two titles he was appearing in starting at Superboy #38 and Adventure Comics #208.

Another thing to remember, however, is that many comics back in the 1950s and 1960s had more than one story inside. The cover image may not relate to the story you are looking for.

Finally, regarding the story Great Rao suggested "Superman Under the Red Sun!", I think a page must have been omitted from the story. Does anyone know what the Red Kryptonite did?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 02:01:10 AM »

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
Finally, regarding the story Great Rao suggested "Superman Under the Red Sun!", I think a page must have been omitted from the story. Does anyone know what the Red Kryptonite did?

You'll have to ask Mort, because that's the whole story.  I know we already discussed this in one of the forums or maybe the mailing list, and I think someone even figured out why the story was published as it was, and what the original intent might have been, but I don't remember the details.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
IpComics
Superman Fan

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 08:01:42 AM »

Hi

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
IpComics, you may want to look at the cover scans at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics. It could take a while, especially if you have a slow link, but you may find the issue you are looking for.

I have tried to do so, but no luck! I am slowly loosing fato on my memory here!  :oops:

Since the story involves Superman under a red sun, I would bet that it was published after 1954.

I may mix the art with another story, but as I remember it is should be soetime in the fifties! And I am sure you are right about the red/yellow sun part!

I have mostly been reading "silver AGE", so I thend to forget that not everything were there from the beginning!

Another thing to remember, however, is that many comics back in the 1950s and 1960s had more than one story inside. The cover image may not relate to the story you are looking for.

That is just another "problem"!

I think a page must have been omitted from the story. Does anyone know what the Red Kryptonite did?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the copy you read! I had a look at mine, all pages there! Anyway, when I first read it, I where confused too!

He lost his powers because of the RED sun, and could not speed back! He used the shrinking ray to become tiny! What did he use the red K for? Perhaps the artist forgot a page? I sure was never printed!!

IpComics
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »

That story looks tampered with.  When I read it elsewhere, Superman shrank himself with the red K to fit inside the Kandorian rocketship.  Note that in our time, he has his powers back but he has to wait for the red K exposure to expired to be his normal super-self.  I guess someone complained that red K shouldn't affect a non-super Superman and the story was altered.  But, again, the version I read used the red K to shrink Superman.

Also, an old Legion story has Superboy and the Legion travelling back in time to when Earth's sun was red.  That may be the story you meant as that's the only one I'm aware of where Kal of any age went back in time to a red sun Earth.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
That story looks tampered with.  When I read it elsewhere, Superman shrank himself with the red K to fit inside the Kandorian rocketship.

Where did you read that?  I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that the first and only printing of this story was in Action 300.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »

I don't recall the exact source but it was a reprint of the story not the original.  It was one of those collections issues of old greats.  I'm pretty sure it was printed more than once.

If you look at the last page of the link that we have here, it does have Superman thinking the red K effects have to wear off before he's back to his old super-self.  The thing we see is a normal-sized Superman.  The panel with the shrink-ray originally had him next to the red K as it shrank him like it did Krypto.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 02:34:35 AM »

Kind of odd that the first printing would be so hackishly edited, but that the reprint would be the original version of the story.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L