superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clark Kent as a disguise  (Read 26219 times)
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« on: September 09, 2005, 03:12:19 PM »

What realistic (by realistic I mean stuff that isn't shapechanging) modifications do you think would need to be done to pull off Clark Kent as a disguise? Here's some from various comics.

He has a different hairstyle. He wears glasses with thick black rims, which dull the colour of his eyes and change the shape of his face. He talks with a different voice and different speech patterns. He has different facial expressions and body language (They say 80-90% of communication is non verbal so this is important). He used to shrink himself a couple inches by compressing his spine (though this is outside his current powerset apparently).

So what do you think? Can this list be expanded on? Could just what I have listed really work?

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »

He didn't need a special power to look shorter.  He slouched which compressed his spine to make himself look a couple of inches shorter.  And, in keeping with body language, a slouched posture communicates inferiority and lack of confidence which further added to his disguise.

You or I would look less confident slouched and more confident standing tall with heads held high.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:24:51 PM »

True to that.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »

Here's one idea: couldn't Doc Savage (or another one of the pulp heroes) cause his height to vary because he was so skilled at controlling his muscles, he could compress and expand his spine like an accordion? Superman can control variable body functions that ordinarily humans can't control (using this on one occasion to fake his own death, for example) so this degree of muscular control can't be said to be beyond him.

Though mostly I think the Clark Kent disguise works because Superman is such a great actor. Remember how well Chris Reeve played two characters? The glasses were believable enough a disguise, all we needed all this time was a good enough actor!  Cheesy

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 09:39:37 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Though mostly I think the Clark Kent disguise works because Superman is such a great actor. Remember how well Chris Reeve played two characters? The glasses were believable enough a disguise, all we needed all this time was a good enough actor!  Cheesy

100% agreed, here, esp. since I've seen this in real life, so to speak.

My girlfriend is Russian so she knows nothing about the Superman mythos growing up.  She watched Superman: The Movie with me for the first time.  First, she was incredulous when I told her that Clark Kent and Superman were played by the same actor.  She genuinely believed she was seeing two different people.  Second, she had a much harder time believing me when I told her the two men were the same guy in the movie only acting and dressing differently.  Without the foreknowledge our culture has about Superman/Clark Kent, she was genuinely convinced of the separateness of the two identities.

The same goes for Jason Isaacs playing the dual roles of Captain Hook and Mr. Darling in a recent Peter Pan movie.  Isaacs' acting was so superb I almost didn't realize he was the same actor in both roles (which was a masterstroke of casting that adds another disquieting aspect to the undercurrents of Hook's approaches to Wendy).  Most people don't even get the hint I got and thought two actors played the two roles as it usually is done.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 09:59:09 AM »

cause his height to vary because he was so skilled at controlling his muscles, he could compress and expand his spine like an accordion?

That's what I was referring to re: spine compression. Superman did do this at one time IIRC.

The same goes for Jason Isaacs playing the dual roles of Captain Hook and Mr. Darling in a recent Peter Pan movie.

I picked it up right away as my sisters are huge fans of his and I've seen every one of his movies. Though I honestly don't know whether I'd have picked it up without the exposure to his acting that I've had. He's that good.

lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »

The way I see it, the Clark Kent/Superman identity trick should work because  most people don't know Superman has a secret identity.  Why should they?  He doesn't wear a mask, most of his friends hang out with him as Superman, and he even has his own well-known personal pad, the Forteress of Solitude.

How many people would believe Superman actually has a Mild-Mannered secret identity, rather then staying Superman all the time?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

Actually the same actor usually plays Mr Darling and Hook. One of those legit traditions which included Peter Pan being played by a girl. :roll:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L