superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The OTHER alien cities Brainiac shrunk  (Read 33526 times)
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004, 07:13:26 PM »

Interesting discussion you have regarding Luthor and Brainiac. My two cents is as follows:

In as much as (at least Pre Crisis) Superman is vastly enhanced, physically as well as mentally, he would be Lex Luthor's superior just by virtue of being Superman. And I know that Luthor may have 12th level intelligence and then again he may not. What we are doing is guessing based on shaky benchmarks as best.

As to "upgrading" Brainiac from 10th to 12th level, remember the basic circuitry was in place. My cousin, who is electronics engineer, tinkers with a TV set and adds an enhancement or two. That does not, IMHO make him more intelligent than the person/people that dreamed up and built the TV receiver in the first place.

The intuition of the living creature gives it an edge over the computer. Also, there was a mention of
carbon-based lifeforms
Who said anything about Kal-El being carbon based? Is that another presumption?  :roll:

Inasmuch that Krypton evolved light years away from Earth, the basic element could well have been silicon for instance.

Like I said, my two cents... Smiley

MK
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004, 07:21:31 PM »

Actually, given that both Pre and Post Crisis, Kal-El could have viable descendants with Terrans that tells us that he is a carbon-based life-form and arguably of a divergent branch of humanity.

That having been said, it betrays a kind of intellectual prejudice to say that machine/computer intelligence is automatically superior to organic ones, just the same as it's a conceit to suppose that organic intelligence will always outwit A.I.  Brainiac being a computer is irrelevant to how he rates with the others.

What matters is actual results and performance.

And, yes, beings with intuition and lateral thinking are capable of outperforming linear intelligences no matter how advanced they are.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2004, 07:42:09 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Actually, given that both Pre and Post Crisis, Kal-El could have viable descendants with Terrans that tells us that he is a carbon-based life-form and arguably of a divergent branch of humanity.

Like Mr. Spock eh?

MK
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2004, 07:43:46 PM »

Forgive me the preumption, but I thought "children of Lois and Kal-El" was only a concept in the "Imaginary Stories" and "Elseworlds"; otherwise it has always been either no kids or kids with WW (perhaps we need a new thread for this)

MK
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2004, 07:50:27 PM »

DC One Million documents at least one alternate future where Clark and Lois not only have children but their line continues at least to the 853rd century.  It was originally supposed to be the actual future of the DCU but the powers-that-be decided -- wisely -- not to limit themselves too much so it's now only a possible future.  But that continuity does establish the genetic interbreeding viability between Kryptonian and Terran humans.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2004, 10:47:38 PM »

I really think that the comics should've defined what each level of intelligence reflected. The Coluans seemed to imply that ALL humans (whether they're geniuses or have average intelligence) are at the 6th level. I wouldn't place Lex at 12th level intelligence or above, but I'm also not sure you could classify him as a "mere" 6th level one.

While I believe Brainiac to be better at storing information and reaching conclusions much faster than Superman and Luthor, his weakness is that he doesn't understand the subtle intricacies of humans. He's almost TOO logical. In a way, his nearly unrivaled intellect is also his weakness.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2004, 12:10:27 AM »

actually brainiac did have "human" emotions & thought processes.  he was programmed with emotions, thought processes, & mannerisms of a coluan scientist.  the computer tyrants wanted him to be able to pass for "human".  could that scientist have been vril dox's father?  i still see luthor as higher than 12th level.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 12:25:27 AM »

Quote from: "llozymandias"
actually brainiac did have "human" emotions & thought processes.  he was programmed with emotions, thought processes, & mannerisms of a coluan scientist.  the computer tyrants wanted him to be able to pass for "human".  could that scientist have been vril dox's father?  i still see luthor as higher than 12th level.

Yes, but it's also been stated before in the comics that Brainiac DIDN'T have human emotions. Brainiac himself confirmed this in the story which revealed his origin, check here.  But I can remember examples where he did act like a human, he even laughed a few times. My theory is that the "emotions" he has are all an act.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L