superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Age. Not over yet?  (Read 32359 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 12:15:24 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
DC loves to make bad comics, don't they?

I think that's an over generalization.

Birthright was fantastic, All-Star is very exicting, Legion is a lot of fun, and I'm sure there are  other good ones too, I just don't follow them because they're not Superman related so I don't know what they are.  I've heard good things about the new GL, but I can't say for myself.

GL under Johns is fantastic, but it's more of an exception, not the rule. Trinity was flawless, but DC swept it under the rug in a heartbeat. Ditto for Batman: Child of Dreams, which walks all over anything Frank Miller's ever done to the character. New Frontier was never on the radar to begin with. And Birthright was practically left to the wolves. DC, as a rule of thumb, puts its energies behind the same stupid events and morbidly bad ideas that this board regularly rips on (and that many readers have openly criticized). Stuff like GL is a fluke these days. And assuming All-Stars Superman's a hit, it'll be another one. Whenever DC actually does something of quality, they usually try to ignore it or disavow it while pimping the same stuff nobody likes over and over again.

And with the wonderful news that the new Superman movie is going to be in the established Christopher Reeve movie continuity, and that the beautiful Noel Neill is going to have a role, it sure looks like there are people involved with this movie who very much know what they are doing!

I agree that so far Superman Returns is doing pretty much everything right, but you'd be amazed by how much hatred has been levied at the film by those who either (a) wanted a Byrne-flavored origin rehash starring the Smallville cast, (b) a full-on Smallville movie, or (c) the JJ Abrams script where Krypton didn't explode and Luthor was Kryptonian. There's even been lobbying against Noel Neill being in the movie because she played Elinore Lane in the 1978 movie. The bashing against this movie for selfish reasons is pretty off-the-scale.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 03:27:03 PM »

DC loves to make bad comics, don't they?

I think that's an over generalization.

Birthright was fantastic, All-Star is very exicting, Legion is a lot of fun, and I'm sure there are  other good ones too, I just don't follow them because they're not Superman related so I don't know what they are.  I've heard good things about the new GL, but I can't say for myself.

I forgot to mention Superman/Batman.  Another fun and exciting book.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 03:35:23 PM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
DC loves to make bad comics, don't they?[/color] :roll:

They apparently just love death. That's like all they freakin know.  Death and rape. It's their answer for everything wether it's doing it to a character literally in a storyline or doing it to the overall charm and wonder of the mythology and DC tradition.

BTW, King I agree with you on Trinity. That was fun. It leans a little "adult" in a couple places but other than that I liked it alot, especially Wagners approach to Superman.

I forgot to mention Superman/Batman. Another fun and exciting book.

I like Superman/Batman at least when Ed is on the art.  Jeph Loeb I tend to either really love what he's doing or be left kind of bewildered by it. I think in alot of ways he's got the right idea, he just zigs when he should zag.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 06:55:54 PM »

Superman & Batman has top-rate artists, but the writing is wildly uneven. Jeph Loeb hasn't been on his game since before "Our Worlds at War," and it's left McGuinness, Pacheco, and Turner at a disadvantage. Luthor's kryptonite steroid addiction came way out of left field, and I still have no idea what the insane old Superman what going on about (the "Absolute Power" arc hasn't answered any questions). And what, pray tell, was the latest Supergirl doing in a huge kryptonite meteor in the first place?

I freely admit that the only reason I've been buying this book is for the art. But once McGuinness is gone for good, I'm outta there unless there's a major improvement in the writing.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2005, 07:47:33 PM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
I freely admit that the only reason I've been buying this book is for the art. But once McGuinness is gone for good, I'm outta there unless there's a major improvement in the writing.

Umm, I could be wrong here, but I think that McG has been off the book for a while.

I like Loeb's writing.  I think that his concepts are brilliant, but I do grant you that his execution and the details can be weak and inconsistent.  But over the last year or so, I think his stories have gotten a lot tighter.  In my book, that counts as improvement.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

I do agree that Loeb is getting better.  And he didn't start out bad, just sort of ... I dunno, wimpy.  I'm not sure what the word is that applies to the negative quality of Loeb's writing, I just know that it's there.  He's getting better, though.

The Iron Age doesn't strike me as entirely negative.  The bad things that happened in Identity Crisis did not a bad story make.  The few issues I've read of it so far were pretty good, actually.  I feel bad for Sue, I really liked that character.  But that's how you're supposed to feel.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2005, 11:29:50 PM »

Well The current Superman titles are pretty awful. I find the Ruin plot in adventures extremely annoying. Post crisis Kal always retained his powers under a red sun until he exausted his "charge". Now so Ruin could humiliate him A puny set of overheads saps him of all power.The Identity Crisis tie in was horrible. the heroes I knew would never have gone these places, done these things or acted like this.
       I desperately want buy Superman  books but I simply can't tolerate this drek. I'll try the Byrne/Simone Superman but nothing else but the all star unless you guys give me the go. For all the later problems MOS was a 1000 times better than ANY of the current titles in my opinion.
      DC is throwing away guarented sales from me at least with both hands. ( Sorry for the rant but I just read these stories and am pretty worked up.)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2005, 01:07:31 AM »

Quote from: "SteamTeck"
Well The current Superman titles are pretty awful. I find the Ruin plot in adventures extremely annoying. Post crisis Kal always retained his powers under a red sun until he exausted his "charge". Now so Ruin could humiliate him A puny set of overheads saps him of all power.The Identity Crisis tie in was horrible. the heroes I knew would never have gone these places, done these things or acted like this.
       I desperately want buy Superman  books but I simply can't tolerate this drek. I'll try the Byrne/Simone Superman but nothing else but the all star unless you guys give me the go. For all the later problems MOS was a 1000 times better than ANY of the current titles in my opinion.
      DC is throwing away guarented sales from me at least with both hands. ( Sorry for the rant but I just read these stories and am pretty worked up.)

Have you read Trinity, For All Seasons, The Superman/Madman Hullabaloo!, Peace on Earth, Kingdom Come, New Frontier, the Nail duology, and Birthright? If not, those stories may be just what you're looking for.

If you have read them, then I'd suggest holding out for All-Stars Superman. The regular DCU stuff for the most part ain't worth it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L