superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE DECISION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 08:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Age. Not over yet?  (Read 32352 times)
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2005, 01:09:41 AM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
Quote from: "King Krypton"
I freely admit that the only reason I've been buying this book is for the art. But once McGuinness is gone for good, I'm outta there unless there's a major improvement in the writing.

Umm, I could be wrong here, but I think that McG has been off the book for a while.

He's doing the next story arc following "Absolute Power."

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2005, 01:15:30 AM »

Yes I've read most of those and really enjoyed them. Birthright wasn't my cup of tea but  I've just ordered Trinity  and am eagerly waiting its arrival. I admit ( don't hit me) I prefer MOS to Birthright.  I really liked the Nail duology especially. I'll try to find  New frontier and Peace on Earth. I enjoyed Kingdom Come but felt it fell short of it's hype.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

Ditto for Batman: Child of Dreams, which walks all over anything Frank Miller's ever done to the character.

I need to read this.. Cheesy

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2005, 05:27:20 PM »

You know, I tried to go back and read Crisis on Infinite Earths. It occured to me that as a kid what I'd  originally responded to about it had nothing to do with killing off everything and cleaning up continuity.  

What made it was the idea of DCs entire mythology in one story and all of them fighting together as heroes to save the universes and all of it served up with wonderful art by George Perez.

Kinda made me wonder what'd have been like if they'd used it to show people just how cool DC was on it's own without having to become destroy everything and become Marvel.  

Funny that Marv Wolfman said that he hadn't taken a look at the story in several years because of all the politics he ran into with other editors who didn't realize quote "that times are changing".

Yet, isn't that what's happening now? Only 1986 is the standard instead of 1956 or 66?

Yeah Marv, times are changing and sales are sagging and even now you guys are still resorting to gore and death for the sake of a temporary sales spike.

Wanna do something radical, bold and different? Make comics that both kids and adults can enjoy. Make stories where the good guys actually win.
 You guys can kill, rape and maime and overanalyze the genre without blinking an eye. But fun, adventure, action, and creating dreams, that'd be work wouldn't it?

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2005, 06:57:04 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Ditto for Batman: Child of Dreams, which walks all over anything Frank Miller's ever done to the character.

I need to read this.. Cheesy

I bought it in the original hardcover edition. Money very well spent, I think. I couldn't put it down for weeks after I'd bought it. Even now when I need a Batman fix, it's one of the first things I grab (either that or the Archives editions).

Funny that Marv Wolfman said that he hadn't taken a look at the story in several years because of all the politics he ran into with other editors who didn't realize quote "that times are changing".

Yet, isn't that what's happening now? Only 1986 is the standard instead of 1956 or 66?

Yeah Marv, times are changing and sales are sagging and even now you guys are still resorting to gore and death for the sake of a temporary sales spike.

You aren't the only one who's noticed that. Many folks at the DC MBs have been commenting on DC being stuck in a '90s rut. Sometimes this brings out the zombies who want DC to either stay in the "Dark Age" because that's only the style of comics they feel are acceptable reading or who want DC to get darker and bleaker because the mere existence of Krypto, Supergirl, and Hal Jordan somehow equates to a full-blown return of the Silver Age...which of course, the "Dark Age" fanatics hate on principle. But for the most part, even the guys at the DC site can't figure out why the company insists on staying in a rut. There's been a lot of complaints about it.

And if it's of any consolation, Identity Crisis is not the instant classic DC wants believe it is. Fan reaction was split almost 50/50, with a lot of anger being directed at it. Wizard even touched on it in a sidebar article last month.

Wanna do something radical, bold and different? Make comics that both kids and adults can enjoy. Make stories where the good guys actually win.
You guys can kill, rape and maime and overanalyze the genre without blinking an eye. But fun, adventure, action, and creating dreams, that'd be work wouldn't it?

In traditional Internet parlance, I'd say your comment has left DC...

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2005, 07:04:07 PM »

Here here!

And make the darn books affordable $2.50 is still a lot of cash to kids.

And what's with splitting a series arc now into 2 volumes of Graphic Novel i.e.Hush?  Are those Graphic Novellas?!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 07:13:24 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Here here! And make the darn books affordable $2.50 is still a lot of cash to kids.

Not to mention adults with bills to pay!  :evil:

Who goes there?!
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005, 04:30:34 AM »

2.50 is alot of cash to anyone of any age who is paying the equivalent to going to see 10 minutes of a movie and being told to come back next month to view the next 10 minutes.

The manga digests really have the right idea because however you might feel about manga, people get their moneys worth out of those. You get a nice huge chunk of story and art yet still leaving you eagerly awaiting the next installment.

n traditional Internet parlance, I'd say your comment has left DC...
[/color]

Hahaha! Lovely peice of art there. I doubt DC really cares what I think but thank you. I'm honored.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L