superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clark Kent as a disguise  (Read 26212 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 10:09:22 AM »

I direct your attention to The New Adventures of Superboy #7 (1980), wherein Clark is hassled by recurring nemesis "Bash" Bashford, "the original kick-sand-in-the-face bully!" (pg 5).  Clark is rescued by Willy Mason and then gets involved in a plot involving aliens replacing Willy's parents to lure Clark to their planet.

Bash was apparently an invention of the 70s/80s Superboy team, including Cary Bates and Julie Schwartz.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2005, 05:28:36 PM »

I suppose one possible out that's both realistic and consistent with Clark's projected image is to suppose that Clark tended to run away from any fights that he couldn't avoid otherwise.  That would be in keeping with his cowardly image.

Even Action Comics #1 had Kent backing down from an outright challenge to a fight.

It's not a stretch to suppose the best a bully really wanting a piece of Clark could get was seeing his retreating backside as he ran away.

Then, in a small town where everybody knows everybody else (I've lived in one so I know first-hand), word would get around to the bully's parents and other authority figures and they'd come down on him so it wouldn't happen again.

Yeah, it's not so contrived now that I think about it.  And Clark would know with his superior senses and speed when he should try the rabbit approach.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2005, 08:55:30 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
I suppose one possible out that's both realistic and consistent with Clark's projected image is to suppose that Clark tended to run away from any fights that he couldn't avoid otherwise.  That would be in keeping with his cowardly image.

Even Action Comics #1 had Kent backing down from an outright challenge to a fight.

http://superman.nu/tales2/action1/?page=7

What's notable to me is that Lois slaps the thug who wants to dance with her, and the thug then challenges Clark(!) even after he was pretty much meek and accomodating.  Even with 1930s sensibilities, I'd think the thug would react toward Lois who slapped him.  How meek do you think Clark would be if the thug slapped or slugged her right back (which would seem to be more what I'd expect out of a 1930s thug sort)?
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2005, 04:01:42 PM »

I don't know. My impresion is that back then slapping a woman around was considered lower than low. Really low. I mean yeah, the guy is a thug but I think even thugs didn't go there if they could help it, at least not out in public.

This is also why when Superman confronts the wifebeater in the apartment he yells "YOU'RE NOT FIGHTING A WOMAN NOW!" before tossing him at the wall.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »

That may be a misperception on our part of that era.

IIRC, James Cagney playing a hoodlum did push his hand into a woman's face in one of his old movies from that era.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »

The name of that movie is on the tip of my tongue! ARGH!

EDIT: WHITE HEAT! HAHA! In which he played Arthur 'Cody' Jarret.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2005, 06:52:36 PM »

I suppose its possible that the thug would have reacted to Lois, but I can remember a time in college when a woman I was with jumped on a parked motorcycle, and tipped it over and broke the turn signals...the dude who owned the cycle dealt with ME... Cheesy
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2005, 08:52:13 PM »

'Course, if your GF is bigger and tougher than you are, that would make the biker come after you instead ... j/k

:lol:

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L