superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:50:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Action Comics... is going to...  (Read 12131 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: July 22, 2006, 12:16:05 AM »

[BEEP]

so what do you get when you team a gore crazed hack with someone who never wrote a comic in his life?

A trainwreck...

also look at the artwork...

disgusting... (remember kids the S on Superman's chest stands for sadism and satanic)

oh well, one less book to buy.

http://www.newsarama.com/SDCC06/DC/action_D_G.html

Don't click on the link if you have a weak heart....

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:47:13 AM »

Tom Manciewicz should've gotten the nod.

Kubert's Superman looks like Bizarro.

Bleah.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:29:16 AM »

You do realize this scene's being presented out of context, right? You don't know what's going on, or what's got Superman angry. And lest we forget, Johns co-wrote the gore-free "Up, Up, and Away." I think he deserves more respect than this.

And I'll take Adam Kubert over Frank "I failed basic anatomy" Quitely any day.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:09:43 AM »

I'll take Quitely, but despite that debate...

I can't tell much from the interview...the artwork features something I detest in a lot of modern Superman, the look of out-of-control hating rage...some of Shuster's early work gives him a hard look, but the violence in the look of art like the panel shown here is just so beneath the universe's greatest hero.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:33:34 AM »

Johns won me over with "Up, Up, and Away."

As for Donner, I don't see the problem. Others from the film industry have done the same with great success. The guy directed the best portrayal of Superman on the big screen, IMO. So, I'm giving the guy a chance.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:40:38 AM »

Quote from: "DBN"

Too bad he didn't write all of it, please read the credits again, compare the good stuff there with that other writer that post here and then IC which johns wrote, and you can see where the real credit should go to for making it so good.

Better yet just Compare Superman to Action comics when there are writing them solo.

then compare that to Up, Up and Away.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 05:19:40 AM »

I have no problem with this.

I'm a fan of the original Superman movie as well as most of Richard Donner's other films. I think he has an inherent understanding of good storytelling and what makes characters tick. I'm a fan of most of Geoff John's work and I feel that he's one of the better character writers that have come along in recent years. I thought his Flash run (with exception to his first arc) was outstanding!

As for Donnor's ability to write for comics...it sounds from what was said in the article that he'll be more of a co-plotter...pitching ideas, refining the script after Johns has written it, etc.

As for the page of art in question, I'll wait until I see it in proper context of the story before I pass judgement.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "DBN"

Too bad he didn't write all of it, please read the credits again, compare the good stuff there with that other writer that post here and then IC which johns wrote, and you can see where the real credit should go to for making it so good.

Better yet just Compare Superman to Action comics when there are writing them solo.

then compare that to Up, Up and Away.

I know he didn't write all of it. But, his contribution to the story took away any reservations that I had after IC.

I had no such reservations with Mr. Busiek. Generally, I have enjoyed all of Busiek's work with Superman. That includes JLA/Avengers, his JLA arc, Secret Identity, his collaboration with Johns, and his first issue on Superman.

As for comparing. Try this, compare IC with some of Johns' other solo work. IC doesn't hold up to his arc on JSA Classified, doesn't hold up to some of his story arcs on Teen Titans, JSA, Stars and Stripes, or the Flash.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L