superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lois might just DIE!  (Read 12906 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 07:26:19 AM »

In mainline DC continuity there is one thing you can depend on.  Stains on heroic legacys and the violation and/or death of female characters.

A writer from "serious fiction" or Hollywood will prolly be called in to ensure that she is raped, killed and a Kandorian will walk on her brain. All in an attempt to show us all that THERE IS A PRICE TO PUTTING ON A CAPE!  COMICS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!

..because you know, colorful dreams of noble heroes is such a terrible thing.   Sad

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 02:11:20 PM »

Ohh...I thought you were talking about LOis on Smallville cause my theory is that THAT Lois will die and Chloe will take her name (she's already written under the LL byline at the Daily Planet) cause in that world Chloe is the real Lois Lane.
 :wink:
Not that Smallville is in OUR world anyway. :wink:
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 04:22:46 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Well, Lois hasn't been Lois in ages, but I don't think they would dare kill her. Maybe they might break them up for a while.

For what, the umpteenth time? Lois dumped Clark once in 1995 for selfish reasons, once again in 2001-2002, and tried to walk out on him for no reason at all in 2003 several times during the Steven Seagle run. To cap it all off, Chuck Austen even used Lois' emotional abuse of Clark as a sticking point in his Sodom/Gamorrah issue in one of the very few things he ever did right on Superman.

Assuming Lois was to be killed off, it would be a mercy killing at this point. I think a divorce or break-up by means of memory tampering would be more likely. (Or a reboot, whichever comes first.)

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 11:05:27 PM »

I think eventually, once the entire Lois/Clark marriage becomes tiresome, there will be a reboot.  It's about the only way they can undo things at this point.

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 03:13:35 AM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
I think eventually, once the entire Lois/Clark marriage becomes tiresome, there will be a reboot.  It's about the only way they can undo things at this point.

I'd say it's already there. It's become a running gag to have Lois get mad at him for stupid reasons (or no reason at all) and try to leave him. And it's also a running gag for him to beg her forgiveness even though he hasn't done anything to deserve her abuse. DC loves to make Superman into a doormat at every possible opportunity, and they've been doing it consistently for years. It's actually gotten to the point where many fans have asked the question "What does he even see in her? He could have any woman he wants!" And DC can't be bothered to answer it, or to stop writing Lois as the Wife from Hell.

To say the marriage has been deliberately written as a dead end/story crutch would be an understatment.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

Y'know, I never really bought into this idea that Lois Lane is Superman's "One Fated True Love for Ever and Ever."  First, because that's a really corny idea.  Second, because I don't see a need for it.  Third, because it doesn't add up.  Fourth, because I don't think the old comicbooks from the Golden Age and Silver Age really back that idea up.

Lois Lane has her place in Superman's story, but is it definitely as his love interest?  Seems to me that they made a point of giving Superman a lot of love interests, from Lori Lemaris to Lana Lang to Maxima to Wonder Woman, and so on.  Lois is, and in my opinion always has been, the least interesting and worst-suited candidate.

There was a reason why Superman didn't want Lois back in the Silver Age.  It's because she was clearly off her rocker.  She wasn't a girlfriend, she wasn't even a fan, she was a stalker.  She was all of the bad things about a wife and none of the good.  He quite literally couldn't change his clothes without her butting in and making his life more complicated, and not in fun ways.

Lois Lane is the kind of girl you could be friends with, maybe, if she promised to behave herself.  But even that would be doomed to failure, because friendship would never be enough for her.  In her own way, she was actually Superman's most consistent villain all through the Silver Age, constantly seeking to expose his secret for her own selfish reasons, trying to control and domesticate a man for whom that kind of life might hold some daydreaming appeal, but for whom that life was also completely impractical and far too dangerous to indulge in.

Not to say that Lois can't be written well.  I like Mark Waid's take on her in Birthright, but I found myself hoping that Jimmy would get her so she would maybe leave Superman alone.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 09:17:46 PM »

why do you hate poor Jimmy so much Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Beyonder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »

Man, at least now I understand what you guys mean with the term "Iron Age"...  Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L