superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mr. Mxyzptlk RULEZ!  (Read 6268 times)
Maik
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: March 18, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »

Hi.

My name is Maik and Im New her and Im from Poland.

Ok Intorduction is over.

What do you think obaut Mr. Mxyzptlk?
As for me his the best Superman Villant sow far.
I just love the fact theat insted faithing him Superman fave trick him in a world play.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:29:33 AM »

Quote from: "Maik"
Hi.

Ok Intorduction is over.

I just love the fact theat insted faithing him Superman fave trick him in a world play.

I prefer the Byrne version where Superman had to come up with a different way of defeating the little imp each time. The say the name backward stuff got old and the cartoon version based on the pre-crisis Earth-2 Mxyzpltk is just annoying (it sounds like the guy who voiced Iago in Aladdin series is doing his voice. Am I right?)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:59:59 AM »

Quote from: "Maximara"
Quote from: "Maik"
Hi.

Ok Intorduction is over.

I prefer the Byrne version where Superman had to come up with a different way of defeating the little imp each time. The say the name backward stuff got old and the cartoon version based on the pre-crisis Earth-2 Mxyzpltk is just annoying (it sounds like the guy who voiced Iago in Aladdin series is doing his voice. Am I right?)

Call me traditionalist, but I prefered the "say his name backward" schtick...

Gilbert Gottfried (the voice of Iago) was the voice of Mxy in the cartoon; I thought that version of Mxy was a riot, though. :-)

Mizrael
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 06:59:07 AM »

I never like Mxyzptlk! He was like the campiness that invaded my favorite TV Sci-Fi of the 60's, Lost In Space. Mxyzptlk was Superman's Doctor Smith! UGH!
 :?
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:15:44 AM »

Mxy is one of my favourite villains, but I prefer the post-Crisis version. "A name game" (SUPERMAN Vol. II 11) is in my Superman top ten! Now, Greg Rucka is making a great work with this character.
Even if I like the post-Crisis version, I think that sometimes writers exagerated with Mxyzptlk... After Alan Moore's "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?", Mxy has ever been represented as a grim and evil character... For example, during his fourth visit on earth (I don't remember the issue, but it was a chapter of the 1989 "Exile in space" saga), he fights with Team Luthor and turns them in "transformers planes" closing them in their flying armors... Breaking them a lot of bones!
Greg, instead, continues to show us an almighty character, but his stories with Mxy are very funny... This "revolution" began with the "Emperor Joker" saga, by Loeb and the rest of Superman Team. In that crossover Mxy appears with his Golden Age look (when he was Mr. Mxyztplk) and is a very funny character.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 08:26:10 AM »

Quote from: "Mizrael"
I never like Mxyzptlk! He was like the campiness that invaded my favorite TV Sci-Fi of the 60's, Lost In Space. Mxyzptlk was Superman's Doctor Smith! UGH!
 :?

Well it depened on how he was used. He was anything but campy in the Superfriends episode "Rise and Fall of the Superfriends" where he takes on the role of a movie director putting the Superfriends in one death trap after another and saving them at the last moment to prolong his amusement. The finally gets bored and tried to have them kill each other but Superman heat vision is not effected by his 'magic' and allows him to change the script so as to trick Mxyzptlk back home. He was also definitly non campy in Superman #349 (July 1980) as was Bizarro in Superman V1 #333 (1979) where we learn that thanks to an encounter with a metor Bizarro has powers opposite to Superman (ie flame breath instead of ice breath. Microscopic vision that actually increases the size of the creatures he uses it on and so on) Sadly stories like this was few and far between with both character being more jokes than anything else. But they were glimpes into what the character could be in the hands of the right writer.
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »

I think my favorite Superman villain was (and still is) Bizarro. I just loved the idea of Superman having a dangerous opposite number, and I do agree that the meteor-collision story did a lot to enhance the character.

In my youth, I never really appreciated Mxyzptlk. But now I realize the value of the character, and my opinion of him has changed.

Who goes there?!
Mizrael
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »

Hrmmm... Powers opposite of Supermans would make Bizzaro superweak. He'd fall instead of fly. Heck! Instead of being invulnerable he'd explode on contact! I'm not sure that opposite is a good word for what his new powers are.  :wink:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L