superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE ALTERNATIVES!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which was your first Superman comic book?  (Read 7750 times)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 11:54:58 PM »

The first comic book featuring Superman that I clearly remember reading was Superman #276, which featured Superman's fight with Captain Thunder.

Who goes there?!
Strange Visitor
Superman's Pal

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:19:50 AM »

I'm think the first Superman comic I ever read may have been this one (ACTION #239 Apr 1958). I remember the cover vividly.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 01:41:59 PM »

The oldest issue of Superman still in my possession that I remember reading as a kid was this one:

However, the cover date is April 1970, which would have made me 5 years old!  I'm pretty sure I didn't really get into comics for another two years...my most powerful memories are from late 72 and all of 73. In retrospect I think I probably got this comic from an older kid who was always eager to trade me "vintage" DC's for the Marvels he preferred.  However I distinctly remember getting my grandma to buy me this issue of Jimmy Olsen in 1971, because the cover blew me away.  (To this day, it and Batman #251 are the most unforgettable covers I ever saw):

Back to Superman, I know that starting with this issue I hardly ever missed a month:

And I also remember finding an issue on a spindle rack with a cover that included Super-everything...Superman, Supergirl, Krypto, Comet, Super-Monkey...I thought it was the most terrific thing I ever saw.  But I've never seen it again in years of searching and by now my memory's so fuzzy I dont' know I'd recognize it if I did see it.

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 12:05:22 AM »

Being a silver ager, I believe the first one I bought for myself was the Superman where wrestler Antonio Rocca is throwing Superman out of the ring - first tale in that ish was the terrif "Superman Under the Green Sun'

There may have been an earlier one but cant remember.

First Superboy 100 - Ma & Pa Kent's Incredible Delusion.

First Adventure 299 - the last installment of the Bizarro World (Cars 45 - Get Lost!) before the Legion took over their slot.

Was 6 at the time - nice way to perfect those reading skills with words like "disintergration" and "hoax".
Exciting reads indeed! Smiley
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 02:00:31 AM »

Blue Ribbon Digest #1, DC Comics Presents: Superman and The Freedom Fighters,  or Superman #500

I'm not sure which.  Whichever one came out first.

I was more of a (SHAZAM!)Captain Marvel fan back then.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 02:24:37 AM »

Action Comics #429 dated November 1973 was the first Superman comic I bought. Got it from the spinner rack at the 7-11. I still have it, but it's very well-read.

Check the tag-line at the top of the comic:

FOR 35 YEARS... THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER-HERO!!

Wow. How come 35 years doesn't seem so long to me anymore? Smiley
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 10:39:40 PM »

Action Comics #342 (October, 1966):

and Superman #193 (January-February 1967):
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 09:37:47 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Which was your first Superman comic book?

My first Superman comic book was Superman #500 after which I picked up a few of the Digests (collections of old 1960's stories centered around a central theme) DC used to put out (Kryptonite it is a Killer, Superman Vs the Supernatural) and some old stories out of back bins. The stories varied so much in quality that I did not really start collecting any Superman titles until after the Byrne reboot and then only collected sporatically - Man of Steel Mini series, Reign of Supermen, Bizarro World, first Dominus saga (with the King of the World ending to the final one), and the One Man JLA saga.

On a side note 'SUPERMAN takes on THE NAZIS!' and 'Another Typical Day' are part of the first Dominus saga where Dominus had Superman spread out through four eras: Golden age (Superman, Man of Steel #80-82), Silver Age (Adventures of SUperman #558-560), Polyester ie Bronze (Action #745-747), and the far future of Superman 2999 (Superman #136-138) which were nice snap shots of the past though Superman 2999 was the only one to retell an existing story-  that of two issues of Superman 2966
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L