superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copyright and Trademark battle for Superman and Superboy  (Read 23939 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 04, 2004, 05:55:08 PM »

It's on again :

http://www.newsarama.com/pages/DC/sUPERMAN_bATTLE.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »

Well, if the paperwork was filed in 2002, I think we now have a definitive answer to why work on the Superboy Archives was mysteriously halted.

This looks like a job for...
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 09:31:59 PM »

Another one:

http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/archives/00000164.htm

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Ceb-Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 05:14:19 AM »

Thanks For the welcome Super- Monkey.
 Sorry for a double post, just finding info about the copyright and I found it thanks to you.
  If the families get the rights , I sure hope they get the trademark as well. I hope DC does not do a Superman without Clark Kent and other essential characters. That would be very disrespectful to the character.
  It would be very interesting to see the return of many Pre-Crisis characters from Superman. As the Siegels have stated a return of Superman to his original roots.
  Boy, A DC Universe without Superman would be real weird!
The return of the Real Superboy would be awesome!
  Could you imagine the possibities a Superman universe all to itself?
No Batman, No JLA!
   Could Superman  movies etc be made at different studios such as 20th Century Fox, Universal, Paramount, or Sony if the families get  the rights? For the right money I am sure the families would?
Just some things to think about!
What about it?

The Ceb-Man!

"One thing I know son is that you are here for a reason."
   - Jonathan "Pa" (Glenn Ford) Kent,
                  Superman :The Movie (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:41 AM »

Latest update on the apparently never-ending copyright battle:

Joanne Siegel’s posthumous appeal to Warner Bros - letter, article, and links at http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/03/joanne-siegels-posthumous-appeal-to-warner-bros/

The original letter article was published here: http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/letter-from-lois-lane-to-time-warner-boss/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:12:34 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »

Latest news in the Superman copyright battle:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/federal-judge-allowing-warner-bros-201931

The interesting bit is from the last paragraph: "The Siegel and Shuster estates have been largely successful in terminating copyright grants over their early work, which includes some of Superman’s defining characteristics, such as his costume, Clark Kent and his origin story" - which makes me very curious just what the relaunched Superman will be like.

But it looks as though Superman isn't the only copyright battle on WB's plate right now:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/mike-tyson-tattoo-artist-sues-183716

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:30:13 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »

The timing of this company-wide reboot is certainly interesting.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that DC is doing it because (a) they have some great new idea for a streamlined DCU or (b) the comics are selling so poorly, drastic measures are called for.  But the above link suggests another motive entirely; DC will very soon be unable to publish stories about "Superman" as the world now knows him, so he must be changed.  And either because he's so central to the DCU or just because they want to put up a smokescreen, they're tweaking all their other characters, too (some more than others).

It makes sense; if they have to change him, better to frame it as a big "event" that was entirely their idea than to admit up front, "We lost the rights to the real thing, but here's something we cobbled together from what was left."  In a weird way, it's kind of reassuring to know Superman is still so important to them that they're willing to change the whole DCU to cover their tracks.  Frankly it's been a long time since it felt like they valued him at all.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »

It makes sense; if they have to change him, better to frame it as a big "event" that was entirely their idea than to admit up front, "We lost the rights to the real thing, but here's something we cobbled together from what was left."  In a weird way, it's kind of reassuring to know Superman is still so important to them that they're willing to change the whole DCU to cover their tracks.

I'm pretty sure this is a big piece of what is going on.  After all, why would DC give Superman an entirely new origin - just so they could reboot him 3 months later and give him another new origin, erasing the one that they just gave him?  The only way that makes sense is if it was the result of an unexpected decree from WB legal.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L