superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Kara!  (Read 11273 times)
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »

Point to Ponder: re-reading the Kara arc I couldn't help but wonder, why she wasn't affected by all the kryptonite near her landing site in the bottom of the bay?  This is still a lot about this new Supergirl to be discovered.

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 05:53:47 AM »

My brain hurts! Cheesy

Hyper-time?  Name changes?  Blank slate? Ret-cons?

Why do I feel that the kids who watch the Justice League tv show are enjoying the character without any of this?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 07:49:30 AM »

Because they ARE kids, Telle -- for the most part they haven't been exposed to the "Supergirl heritage", nor does that matter much. To them, the animated Kara In-Ze is THEIR Supergirl, which is why DC forced Linda to abandon the "classic look" and don that cropped t-shirt costume late in her series.

But you know what?  I don't mind at all if these kids accept Kara In-Ze.  In the animated cartoon and related comic book she is a perfectly legitimate Supergirl with an origin that actually works better than the "flying Argo City" of yore (which originally didn't even have a pressure dome to keep the air in!)  And she has a sassy but appealling personality -- essentially sweet, but with a "hip" contemporary style that's not too "edgy".  Right now I'd prefer her to the current Kara Zor-El, who hasn't really shown much of a personality.

Yes, they're enjoying this Kara In-Ze, just like older fans enjoyed earlier Supergirls.  But one day these grown-up fans will be griping about what DC did to their beloved Kara In-Ze, just like some of us still haven't come to terms with Crisis #7 or the end of "Many Happy Returns".

"In every generation there is one..."  No, I'm not talking Buffy here.  There's been Kara Zor-El I, Matrix, Linda Danvers, Kara In-Ze and now Kara Zor-El II.  While I wish the newest Supergirl a long and successful career, inevitably there WILL be another down the line.  And fans of preceeding Supergirls (including today's kids) will be struggling to reconcile their own favorite character with the current DC Universe.

Superman is unaging (eternally frozen at around 29), but Supergirls aren't so fortunate.  But it is the "Spirit of Supergirl" that is truly immortal, waiting to inspire the next bright-eyed maiden (whether Kryptonian, Earth Angel, Argoan or whomever) to take up the "S" mantle.  And thus the Supergirl Legacy will continue on, constantly revitalized and developed with each generation.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 09:53:54 AM »

That was my point.  It shouldn't matter to us either.  I think most of us (including many writers and editors) bring too much baggage to the character and can't enjoy an obviously well-designed update like the current cartoon incarnation.
From what I understand (I haven't read any SG since Crisis), Peter David was trying to graft a new character of his own onto Supergirl.  Other writers have been trying to get around the DC rule of "only one Kryptonian" in similar ways.  In future, they should stick to versions of the current (read: original) model.

Quote from: "dto"
Because they ARE kids, Telle -- for the most part they haven't been exposed to the "Supergirl heritage", nor does that matter much. To them, the animated Kara In-Ze is THEIR Supergirl, which is why DC forced Linda to abandon the "classic look" and don that cropped t-shirt costume late in her series.

But you know what?  I don't mind at all if these kids accept Kara In-Ze.  In the animated cartoon and related comic book she is a perfectly legitimate Supergirl with an origin that actually works better than the "flying Argo City" of yore (which originally didn't even have a pressure dome to keep the air in!)  And she has a sassy but appealling personality -- essentially sweet, but with a "hip" contemporary style that's not too "edgy".  Right now I'd prefer her to the current Kara Zor-El, who hasn't really shown much of a personality.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 06:51:47 PM »

Many of us that have been around since the 60s reading comics are enjoying most of the JLU cartoon versions alot better than the current comics incarnations I expect . Why can The bloody cartoon get so much more right than the comics can lately?
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 11:54:31 PM »

I'm glad they brought the character back.  I didn't like the Peter David Linda Danvers Supergirl.  I hope they find a place to feature her on a regular basis.  I miss the old backup features because they used to be a good home for characters who couldn't hold their own book.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L