superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the evil creator (John Byrne) is saying  (Read 13945 times)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« on: March 04, 2003, 02:58:17 AM »

From the SlushFactory website:

IMO:
Too-Much-Reality Check
By John Byrne

The other day I was poking around online, and came across a fairly ancient "review" of my most recent work with the Spider-Man character.

Now, I've read lots of those, to be sure, but this one caught my eye for one reason in particular. After saying he was "glad" I was "fired off The Hulk," the writer went on to wonder why "Marvel is continuing to let (Byrne) destroy Spider-Man."

Why would this stick in my mind, you might ask?

Simple. It encapsulates in just a few words something that has gone very wrong with organized fandom -- and I don't mean that they seem to have forgotten that I bestride the universe like a god! No -- it's the disproportionate increase the shrinking audience base has brought to the know-nothings.

Now, pardon me while I ramble a bit. I promise I will get back to my starting point.

People who talk as if they know what they are talking about, when in fact they do not, are nothing new, and certainly not the exclusive property of comic fandom. "Experts" abound in all fields of human endeavor, and actual knowledge of the field is only an occasional requirement.

There are two things wrong, primarily, with this "reviewers" comment (and I say "reviewer" in quotation marks cuz, let's face it, these days all one needs to claim that title is a marginal ability to type and press an enter key). One is the notion that anyone can "destroy" a character. Such talk -- representative of the kind of Absolutisms some "fans" seem to love so much -- demonstrates an appalling lack of awareness of the real history of this industry. (Appalling since it falls into that "know what you're talking about" region.)

Let's look at Superman, for a moment. How many times has this particular character been "destroyed" according to the definition of some "fans"? (Yep, did it once myself!) Jerry Seigel and Joe Shuster created a character they called "Superman," but I would defy anyone to find much trace of that character in the comics being published today by DC. You'll find the names and places, mostly, but the character? Seigel and Shuster's Superman -- at least at first -- was basically a super-strong vigilante, not much shy of being a bully. He beat people up -- and one does not have to mention, surely, that the notion of "picking on someone your own size" does not enter into this equation. There was no one "his size." Not yet. He also killed people. Routinely and casually. Knocked airplanes out of the air. Tossed badguys literally over the horizon. In my favorite example, he picked up a gangster and hurled him into the path of the very bullets said gangster had just fired! Wow! Where's that Superman these days?

Well, like Mickey Mouse (who got famous and stopped feeding cats tails into meat grinders), Superman cleaned up his act once people started to pay attention to him. No so very long after all those scenes of him casually killing people, readers were being told not only that he had a "code" against killing, but that, in fact, he had never killed!

Can we imagine a 1940s Internet, on which the first of the know-nothings protested this "destruction" of Superman? Holy retcon!!

But this brings us around to the other point that seems to elude the K-Ns. The changes that happened in Superman's character happened because of editorial decisions. They were not slipped past the Powers That Were while they were napping after a five martini lunch. Nothing happened to Superman that was not calculated by a combination of editors, writers, artists and pretty much anyone else who had anything to do (professionally) with the character.

(Sidebar: In those days of powerful editorial fiefdoms, it is safe to say that nothing happened to any character without the editor who was "in charge" of that character knowing and approving. Unlike today, when story "bits" can get slipped past an inattentive editor by a writer or artist or editor working "down the hall," there would never be a case of Superman -- or anyone else -- doing a walk-on in another title simple so the editor and/or writer of that title could do the character his way. If the writer of, say, Wonder Woman did not like the latest issue of Superman, you would never -- never!! -- see Princess Diana, or one of her supporting cast, make a negative comment about the goings-on over in the Superman titles. No so today -- and by "today," I mean for the last couple of decades. I was even forced, on one of the titles to which I had been assigned, to do a whole unplanned story arc in order to "correct" a comment made by another writer, in another, unconnected title. The books are not bulletproof any more. Some writers, in fact, seem to delight in tearing down other writer's stories as they are happening! Imagine that in the "Golden" or "Silver" ages!)

We can all agree, I hope, that superhero comics are works of fiction, and like all works of fiction, nothing happens in them but that the authors (defined here as the creative team, however extensive that might be) wish it to happen. The myth that the characters "write themselves" is really just an excuse some writers use to justify their own excesses. When the mojo is working, it sometimes really can feel like the characters are telling the writer what they want to do -- but that's coming from an understanding of the characters that comes itself from familiarity with "who they are."

It does not protect them from editorial excess, of course. Sometimes editors, writers, artists, etc., have really bad ideas. Can't be helped. Only human. And sometimes those really bad ideas find their way into print. Consider the "Clone Saga" in the Spider-Man books -- something that started out short and sweet but, because of a really bad idea -- this time from marketing, not editorial! -- ballooned into a lumbering behemoth that some will still reference as the "destruction" of Spider-Man. (So I guess I was "destroying" what had already been destroyed??)

However, whether the ideas are good, bad or indifferent, there is usually someone watching, someone guiding, someone who has the power to say "Yes" or "No" -- and yet there are some "fans" who still believe certain creators have the power to storm in and do whatever they want with the characters. (Note the dichotomy in the "review" I mention above: the writer grants to Marvel the power to fire me off one book, yet seems to think the editors are unable to stop my rampage on another.) And, perhaps most important, no bad ideas are foisted upon an unsuspecting public with the knowledge that they are bad ideas. Everything seems like a good idea -- at the time. (Some fans seem to have developed a three pronged attack: I don't like this! Therefore it is bad! Therefore it is bad deliberately! Seriously now -- are there really people who honestly believe any corporate entity in the business of selling a product would produce a flawed version of that product on purpose?)

This all comes from a dichotomy of its own: the fans who claim great insight into what is going on "behind the scenes," yet who really do not know nearly as much as they think they do. (Some of them seem to be claiming telepathic abilities -- but that's a whole 'nother column!).

I wonder, when I read these "reviews" and see these pontifications, what it would have been like had the kind of access common today be around when I was a teenager, reading the beginnings of Marvel Comics. Would my enjoyment of the latest issue of Fantastic Four have been heightened by knowing, for instance, that Jack Kirby plotted a very different story than the one Stan Lee scripted? Would I have looked forward to the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man, hoping I might spot in its pages some of the tensions I knew to exist between Stan and Steve Ditko? Move that ahead a bit: would readers have enjoyed the Claremont/Byrne years on Uncanny X-Men had they known that Claremont and Byrne were spinning around in a kind of Gilbert & Sullivan relationship, almost constantly at war over who the characters were?

Perhaps I was staggeringly naive, as a kid, but I did not think much about who was writing and drawing the stories -- and I certainly did not read the latest issue of, say, Amazing Spider-Man and wonder why anyone was "letting" Lee and Ditko do the stuff I didn't like.

(Truth to tell, this is a bad choice, since they never did anything I didn't like! But no small part of that is due to my acceptance of the stories as What Really Happened. Even before Stan introduced into Fantastic Four the notion that the book was a "licensed property" and the "real" FF were monitoring the stories being told about them, there was never a question in my mind that any story was "wrong," or that it could have been told another way. There were different levels of enjoyment, to be sure -- but all of the stories were "real," even [to paraphrase Ned Flanders] the ones that contradicted the other ones.)

It all comes down to this: surely these stories are more enjoyable if they exist for their own sake, and not as part of some "larger story" that involves who's sleeping with who back at the office? Many a time I have told fans -- and many have found they agree, when my assertion is put to the test -- that they can increase their enjoyment level by avoiding all "previews." Stories are amazingly less "predictable" when one has not read about the issue three months before it comes out!

Same thing with the "behind the scenes" stuff. Is Marvel or DC "letting" a creator "destroy" a character? Should we even be considering what Marvel or DC are doing? Or what the creator is doing? Shouldn't we be looking at these things as what they are, serial fiction, and keeping in mind that, if things are happening that we don't like, it will pass? The characters are not real. The scars will heal without notice.

Provided we let them, of course.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 03:41:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing this!

Byrne makes some good points, but for my money he misses the biggest one.  And that is that these "critics" are not on the lunatic fringe...they are increasingly the core audience of comics.  More and more, the people reading comics are older, long-time readers with definite ideas about what they like and very little patience for what they don't.  That would be a mere annoyance to people like Byrne, and not something worth responding to, except that there are not millions of new 7-year-olds coming into the fold to replace these old farts.  The old farts are just about all that's left!

Byrne writes:

Shouldn't we be looking at these things as what they are, serial fiction, and keeping in mind that, if things are happening that we don't like, it will pass? The characters are not real. The scars will heal without notice.

But the real issue is , what if these "know-nothings" do more than complain?  What if they just stop buying comics?  Because, guess what, that's what they're doing.  And no one new is coming to replace them.  So if "things are happening that we don't like," they may very well pass, but by the time they do, the publishers may well find they have no audience left to please.

This looks like a job for...
rom-el
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 02:34:34 AM »

Ahhh,John Byrne...my favorite nemesis!

He finally comes out from under the rocks to air his gripes.

What do "know-nothing" fans know about comics? PLENTY!

A few rebuttals are in order:

1) we buy comics because we identify with the character,his struggles,his triumphs,his losses are ours....we can project ourselves in them,that's called suspension of disbelief,Mr. Byrne

2) it does matter how you amend the character...you may implement changes
that are necessary,but to strip away the basic premises of that character is
to show disrespect. Case in point:

What hath Byrne wrought?

a lot of bad moves!

He got rid of Superboy,Krypto,made Supergirl into an amoeba,brought back his foster parents (which affects Supes' standing as a tragic figure in a large way)

He diminished Kal's powers...less invulnerability (which means that he can't survive under water or in outer space without breathing apparatus...then how do you define invulnerability,anyway?) ,no super-breath,no time-travel abilities,less moral compunctions (he "kilt" da bad guys of da fantom zown,sheee?)

Lex Luthor became a corporate raider (say,wasn't that role filled by the Kingpin in Marvel? Talk about cloning)

Kal gets beaten more often (witness the cover of his first issue,volume 2,where he lies on the ground sideways,beaten by Metallo,and the K-rays are emanating from Metallo's chest plate....if it were not for Lex Luthor's intervention,this Supes would be dead in its premier issue...wishful thinking)

Before he left the series,Byrne introduced da "new Supergirl"..ta-dahh....only it isn't a girl...it's sexless,because it's a protoplasm...how sterile can you get?

Adding insult to injury,Byrne made Supes a killer,executing the 3 Kryptonian villains with green K from their dimension...wouldn't sending them to the Phantom Zone be better? Oops,sorry...no phantom zone projector there...

3) after wreaking havoc on the Superman titles,Byrne does his hack work on Wonder Woman,Spider-Man,the Hulk leaving a messy storyline after each departure. He shoulda stuck to drawing,bub...never let him get within 100 yards of a
wordprocessor.

4) he also made enemies with the Image brats in the early '90s when they refused to give him jobs in their titles...he lambasted them in public,and that earned him
their lasting enmity...Erik Larsen calls him "Johnny Redbeard" Redbeard is indeed a fitting name,with the way he butchers the titles he takes.

I have no love lost for Image,but I agree with them 100% on that one.

5) finally,the reason why an artist or writer publishes his work is so that the
public,or shall we say,the Know-Nothing readers,will buy the works,keep him
well fed and make him famous.

John is demonstrating his ingratitude by sneering at the public...
an artist or creator gets satisfaction by his rapport with the audience.

In Byrne's case,his audience seems to be only a party of one..himself.

Well,that's BIG ENOUGH for him,while we poor fans have to take his crap.

Mr.Byrne got well fed,alright,but his devil-may-care attitude reflects his egotistic insensitive ways and his lack of respect for the public and the characters he
handles.

Question,Mr.Byrne...how are your Dark Horse series,the NeXt Men doing?

Cat got your tongue?

I personally think that Scott McCloud did an excellent job of writing Superman
even if it was for the animated series. Most of the 12 stories he wrote were worthy of being considered classics.

Examples: "Distant Thunder" : issue # 3 with Brainiac as his opponent.

Then issue #4 where Supes gets zapped by a gravity ray,with hilarious results

I also liked "Seonimod" which is Dominoes spelled backwards. Mxyzptlk
was the villain in that one.

For all-out action,the 2 parter with Mala and Gen. Zod was very good.

The 2 parter "The war within" (issues # 11 to 12) captured the essence of our hero
and I always find myself crying after I finish reading those 2 issues.

I say for the post-crisis era,Scott McCloud get Supes right...Byrne was way off target,and he got paid so much for doing a lousy job.

Scott left the series,I presume due to difficulties with the management about handling Supes (this of course,is just my conjecture)

So there I go again,spewing venom,fire and brimstone about Byrne...and he's still out there lurking in the shadows...

Still waiting for Godot (oops,Superman of Earth-1 or 2)

Rom-El :twisted:  :!:  S!
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 03:28:38 AM »

Quote from: "rom-el"
Ahhh,John Byrne...my favorite nemesis!

:rolleyes:

He finally comes out from under the rocks to air his gripes.

What do "know-nothing" fans know about comics? PLENTY!

you seem to be confusing Fans with fanboys, I'm not fully at byrne's side but he DID NOT majoritize every fan as a raving kunatic, you should be intelligent enough to figure that out.

A few rebuttals are in order:

1) we buy comics because we identify with the character,his struggles,his triumphs,his losses are ours....we can project ourselves in them,that's called suspension of disbelief,Mr. Byrne

That's a valid poit of view for the "escapist" but there's another group the ones that seek and prioritizes"entertainment"more, which is just as valid.

2) it does matter how you amend the character...you may implement changes
that are necessary,but to strip away the basic premises of that character is
to show disrespect. Case in point:

A purist's viewpoint, not that there's anything wrong with a purist.

What hath Byrne wrought?

a lot of bad moves!

He got rid of Superboy,Krypto,made Supergirl into an amoeba,brought back his foster parents (which affects Supes' standing as a tragic figure in a large way)

When Siegel and Shuster created superman, they didn't think of all these sci-fi element add-ons except for superman himself.. he wasn't even an "american hero" for crying out loud, he was the outlet of two jewish artists seeking for a personal avenger. so no superboy etc. no kandor, no supergirl.. etc.

I agree with the supergirl part though

I disagree with the Kents being alive is a bad move.

case in point, TOO MANY heroes relies on a tragic origin to "justify" responsibility, if anyone can use "weak willed always being mind controlled" is an over-used cliche, much more is this.. which is almost always the alpha of a super-hero, besides Clark's Biological parents were dead either and the justification that

The El's death = loss of home
kent's death = Loss of parents

is sheer redundance wrapped up in an excuse. Clark simply easily could mourn for his parents AND home krypton (whether he liked it cold or not) in a single package, instead the difference about the nature of his biological and adopted parents but with the same "wanting welfare for their son" is more complex, if somehow the "real world" got a crisis and the pre-crisis became the post and vice versa.. who would you side with??

He diminished Kal's powers...less invulnerability (which means that he can't survive under water or in outer space without breathing apparatus...then how do you define invulnerability,anyway?) ,no super-breath,no time-travel abilities,less moral compunctions (he "kilt" da bad guys of da fantom zown,sheee?)

Powerwise, Superman sold poorly mostly at the mid-eighties (Marvel's more "Relatable" heroes) brought this about too.. also he got too powerful to be really interesting anymore. heck if pre-crisis superman made one little mistake why not just travel back in time and undo it.. why doesn't he just go back in time to save Luthor and his experiment before they could be  arch enemies? I agree with his less emotional compunctions.. But He shouldn't be perfect either he seems like a Righteous zombie who is an example to look up to but very unreachable?

the reason why Spider-man outsold superman in most of his years is because Spider-man also sets an example of goodness and although he is more emotionally vulnerable than the post-crisis superman, He has one thing Superman NEVER EVER HAD.. "relatability" the troubles of supes battling supervillains, or being alone despite what pales in comparison to spider-man's everyday troubles that are a reflection of real life, in one way spider-man's conflicts are modified and modernized version of siegel and shuster's conflicts. But hence Spidey has to pay bills, have costume problems, get a job the hard way, share his thoughts in a manner that's very simillar to the way people would do" and with superman sure he's got all these "mythos, and maggins" and stuff but only the die-hard fan can identify with that and not the casual reading market.

Lex Luthor became a corporate raider (say,wasn't that role filled by the Kingpin in Marvel? Talk about cloning)

These days being a "Mad scientist" is a Joke, a character only useful as a stereotype villain in kiddie cartoons, and there's no way to see them as a threat, you have Dr. Wily, Mojo jojo. all the other "modern" mad scientist are degenerated into a lackey of a bigger villain. anyway the Kingpin isn't the first in his field either.. lots of gangsters and bosses were around before comics came, Lex Luthor, Wilson Fisk and Geese Howard are like super-crime lords.

Kal gets beaten more often (witness the cover of his first issue,volume 2,where he lies on the ground sideways,beaten by Metallo,and the K-rays are emanating from Metallo's chest plate....if it were not for Lex Luthor's intervention,this Supes would be dead in its premier issue...wishful thinking)

I agree but this is not a sufficient basis upon to which everything should be judged.

Before he left the series,Byrne introduced da "new Supergirl"..ta-dahh....only it isn't a girl...it's sexless,because it's a protoplasm...how sterile can you get?

Agreed.

Adding insult to injury,Byrne made Supes a killer,executing the 3 Kryptonian villains with green K from their dimension...wouldn't sending them to the Phantom Zone be better? Oops,sorry...no phantom zone projector there...

Superman (post) has only killed once (the supergirl saga) or three if you count them three.. while the pre-crisis version has killed a whopping FIVE TIMES!!!!

3) after wreaking havoc on the Superman titles,Byrne does his hack work on Wonder Woman,Spider-Man,the Hulk leaving a messy storyline after each departure. He shoulda stuck to drawing,bub...never let him get within 100 yards of a
wordprocessor.

4) he also made enemies with the Image brats in the early '90s when they refused to give him jobs in their titles...he lambasted them in public,and that earned him
their lasting enmity...Erik Larsen calls him "Johnny Redbeard" Redbeard is indeed a fitting name,with the way he butchers the titles he takes.

I have no love lost for Image,but I agree with them 100% on that one.

5) finally,the reason why an artist or writer publishes his work is so that the
public,or shall we say,the Know-Nothing readers,will buy the works,keep him
well fed and make him famous.

John is demonstrating his ingratitude by sneering at the public...
an artist or creator gets satisfaction by his rapport with the audience.

In Byrne's case,his audience seems to be only a party of one..himself.

Well,that's BIG ENOUGH for him,while we poor fans have to take his crap.

Mr.Byrne got well fed,alright,but his devil-may-care attitude reflects his egotistic insensitive ways and his lack of respect for the public and the characters he
handles.

Question,Mr.Byrne...how are your Dark Horse series,the NeXt Men doing?

Cat got your tongue?

I personally think that Scott McCloud did an excellent job of writing Superman
even if it was for the animated series. Most of the 12 stories he wrote were worthy of being considered classics.

Examples: "Distant Thunder" : issue # 3 with Brainiac as his opponent.

Then issue #4 where Supes gets zapped by a gravity ray,with hilarious results

I also liked "Seonimod" which is Dominoes spelled backwards. Mxyzptlk
was the villain in that one.

For all-out action,the 2 parter with Mala and Gen. Zod was very good.

The 2 parter "The war within" (issues # 11 to 12) captured the essence of our hero
and I always find myself crying after I finish reading those 2 issues.

I say for the post-crisis era,Scott McCloud get Supes right...Byrne was way off target,and he got paid so much for doing a lousy job.

Scott left the series,I presume due to difficulties with the management about handling Supes (this of course,is just my conjecture)

So there I go again,spewing venom,fire and brimstone about Byrne...and he's still out there lurking in the shadows...

Still waiting for Godot (oops,Superman of Earth-1 or 2)

Rom-El :twisted:  :!:  S!

I'm not a byrne fan so be my guest..

I agree though that scott mcCloud is a very good writer and superman adventures is a definitive read for those who love the pre-crisis' simpler tales.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 03:50:28 AM »

When Siegel and Shuster created superman, they didn't think of all these sci-fi element add-ons except for superman himself.. he wasn't even an "american hero" for crying out loud, he was the outlet of two jewish artists seeking for a personal avenger. so no superboy etc. no kandor, no supergirl.. etc.

For the record :
Actually, Jerry Siegel created Superboy in 1941! However, Superboy didn't appear in the comics until 1945.

As far as the Amercian Hero, well :
http://superman.nu/tales2/endsthewar/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 05:58:49 AM »

I stand corrected.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
rom-el
Superman Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 11:47:53 AM »

Here's my response to my countryman,Rugal,who's playing devil's advocate and "Pilosopong Tacio" :twisted:

Read the responses below: :bounce:

My point is that Superman is considered a part of modern folklore,despite the fact that he sprang from the brows of Shuster and Siegel. Many was the time when an idea or invention was  simply conceived by its creator to fill a need. When that invention becomes a success,it becomes a necessity not a luxury. Creations also change to suit the needs of the public or consumers involved.

Take the telephone which was invented in the 20th century. It was a luxury when
it was invented. A hundred years later,calling people on the phone can be made with portable models,like the cell phone. Now a luxury becomes a necessity,and a basic idea was modified to suit the changing times.

A popular figure (read fictitious) undergoes various stages of development. In modern parlance,it's like
using WINDOWS. Using that analogy,Superman (and WINDOWS for that matter)
had to change  to suit the needs of its viewers. Are you still using the prototype of WINDOWS? You maybe using 95,98 or XP,but not its earlier version.

Which brings me to the point of the pre-crisis Superman killing  5 times:
you shot yourself in the foot;those stories were depicted in the earlier versions
and the editorial changes about him having a code of ethics (and NOT killing anyone) is akin to changing browsers from the WINDOWS prototype to the newer versions.

Besides,since Supes was becoming a role model,those changes were in order. The Superman that killed was the WINDOWS prototype,the Silver age Supes and even the Bronze age Supes never kilt anybody.

So bringing up the matter of Supes killing 5 times in his earlier days is just like complaining that WINDOWS 3.1 and the later versions are alike,to stretch an analogy.

We are comparing different versions of Supes,and the first one wuz "bad".  :wink:

So making that accusation about the pre-crisis Supes killing 5 men is pointless.
It's like saying All men are mortal,Socrates was a mortal,therefore all men are Socrates.  :lol:

The question which should be asked is,"Which version killed his enemies without remorse?"  :?:

Remember that Batman also killed a few villains in his early days in TEC. He even used a gun.  :!:

Only in the last Bronze age tale,"Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow"
was the only time he killed a villain,and even that was an imaginary tale.  :idea:

I agree with the supergirl part though

I disagree with the Kents being alive is a bad move.

case in point, TOO MANY heroes relies on a tragic origin to "justify" responsibility, if anyone can use "weak willed always being mind controlled" is an over-used cliche, much more is this.. which is almost always the alpha of a super-hero, besides Clark's Biological parents were dead either and the justification that

The El's death = loss of home
kent's death = Loss of parents

is sheer redundance wrapped up in an excuse. Clark simply easily could mourn for his parents AND home krypton (whether he liked it cold or not) in a single package, instead the difference about the nature of his biological and adopted parents but with the same "wanting welfare for their son" is more complex, if somehow the "real world" got a crisis and the pre-crisis became the post and vice versa.. who would you side with??

I'm sorry,I lost your line of thought...in case you don't remember,Supes' loss of both parents has been copied in one form or another ad nauseam by its competitors.

Let's take Spider-Man for example: the death of his uncle Ben was the turning point in his life,and that has been replayed to death even in the Spider-Man Ultimate comic book.

A similar circumstance would be how Matt Murdock got started in crimefighting:his father,the boxer Jack Murdock,was shot to death by criminals because he refused to take a dive. Where did Stan Lee get those ideas from? The Batman saga,of course. Between Spidey and DD,my money's on DD (especially the Miller version)
any day. His struggles are more tragic compared to Spidey's.

I personally prefer the times when Supes lost his home and then his foster parents.

Reasons:

1) Superman wa s and still is an alien,despite adopting Earth as his home planet.
The destruction of Krypton emphasized his unearthly origins,it gives us a background of how he got his great powers.

Being an alien also denotes a certain dichotomy which echoes the story of Christ,where He was sent to Earth and conceived by a virgin (which is taught in cathecism in the Philippines and other Christian countries)

Therein lies the paradox;he (Superman) is among us,but he is not like us.
And Kal lives and stays in earth,living like an earthman,but he knows his otherworldly origins. It is this paradox which is the core of the previous Supes.

Unfortunately,John Byrne dispensed with that aspect and made Supes reject his Kryptonian heritage...only in the last 3 years did DC correct that error,courtesy of Jeph Loeb and company in the Return to Krypton saga.

I guess we have been too jaded with Supes origin that we fail to see how creative and fascinating it was as depicted by his own creators,Siegel and Shuster.

Byrne had rejected Kal's Kryptonian heritage completely...so even if Supergirl and Krypto and the Kandorians were not around,his version still stinks.

2) Even in real life,the individuals who wrought outstanding accomplishments
for mankind  were orphans or illigitimate children or when tragedy strikes them which makes these individuals act to compensate for such losses. For example,Leonardo da Vinci was the illigitimate child of an Italian noble and a serving wench. On the fictional side,Tarzan of the apes was an orphan,his foster mother (an ape!!! compare that to the Kents,bub) was killed in a hunting expedition by a lone African warrior. Hercules was the phony son of Zues and Alcmene,and he too became a heroic figure...I'll bet they are just as boring...hmm? :twisted:

Powerwise, Superman sold poorly mostly at the mid-eighties (Marvel's more "Relatable" heroes) brought this about too.. also he got too powerful to be really interesting anymore.

heck if pre-crisis superman made one little mistake why not just travel back in time and undo it.. why doesn't he just go back in time to save Luthor and his experiment before they could be arch enemies?

It's called the power of history,bub...wat's dun cannot be undone... :!:

Tell you what,if you had the power to go back in time,would you be able to correct your mistakes? I'll betcha you would make the same boners again.  :idea:

The future,however,is subject to change,so it all depends on choices that were made in the present...and experiences from the past.

Remember that those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
In the language of my home country,"Ang hindi lumilingon sa kanyang pinag-galingan ay hindi  makaka-abot sa kanyang pinag-harapan". (same idea,different language)

I agree with his less emotional compunctions.. But He shouldn't be perfect either he seems like a Righteous zombie who is an example to look up to but very unreachable?

Is he a zombie? I don't think so? If you had a lot of awesome powers,wouldn't  you think of the consequences of your actions?

You would have to weigh each outcome that would derive the best moral benefit. Superman had that kind of mind and that kind of morality.

Do not mistake a bore for a man who masters himself. The man with self-control can conquer most,if not all tradgedies and problems.

The man's got self-control,and he ain't boring. Try sticking with Spidey in real life,and let's see whose company (especially conversational company) will be boring. Sorry,Wayne,we're not talking about you. You can rest easy.

Remember Newton's law.

And the biblical injuction,to whom MUCH is given,much is expected,much is required. And that includes powers and responsibility (to paraphrase a neurotic webhead).

the reason why Spider-man outsold superman in most of his years is because Spider-man also sets an example of goodness and although he is more emotionally vulnerable than the post-crisis superman, He has one thing Superman NEVER EVER HAD.. "relatability" the troubles of supes battling supervillains, or being alone despite what pales in comparison to spider-man's everyday troubles that are a reflection of real life, in one way spider-man's conflicts are modified and modernized version of siegel and shuster's conflicts.

Aha...you do admit the influence of Siegel and Shuster on Spidey!  Cool  :lol:

Three things to remember...

one,he's an alien with awesome powers

two,he chose to live among us despite his powers,that is already a sign of humility,which echoes the Messiah theme in Christianity,disguising himself as Clark Kent to maintain a level of anonymity and assume a level of humanity.

If you can connect at that level,you won't have difficulty identifying with him.

three,the loss of both parents makes him a tragic figure,and the "fact" that he cannot marry Lois or Lana (in da old days,pare)

Even if he had the bottle city of Kandor,Supergirl,Krypto,he still made choices alone. Even if the cards are stacked in his favor,he will be misunderstood by his the Kandorians (because he fails for the nth time to enlarge the bottle city) and the Earthmen because too much is expected of him. These aspects were little exploited,I admit,but it could have made the 80's Superman more interesting.

Giving him everyday problems in his Kent identity compared to Spidey would have
made him more human,I guess. But since he is of 2 natures,it was a writer's nightmare...it could be done. Just a little more creative thinking was needed,and more funding for better artists and writers which DC did not do for Supes' titles.

I still say that the pwerful Supes can be a figure you can empathize with,with some changes made in his Kent identity. Case in point...when Mark Waid took the writng chores of the Flash for 5 wonderful years,he slowly introduced members of the Flash family into the fold,from Jay Garrick to Johnny and Jessie Quick to Impulse
to the Zen Master of Speed (oops,forgot his name)

Hope you didn't miss that run,it was an excellent example of how the Silver age heroes could be upgraded without being ret-conned.

Captain America flourished under Mark Waid's pen...and he even emphasized his patriotic qualities more. If there ever was a straight man in Marvel's universe,it was Cap...but Mark Waid made him interesting.

So I hope that answers your question,or complaint,Rugal...Supes can be relevant,we need writers like Waid,Morrison,Bates,Moore,McCloud,Maggin  et al to rev him up. He doesn't need a ret-con,he needs a tune-up,with the right group of writers,and an great team of artists.He can be a hero for all...unfortunately,DC seems to hate the Silver age Superman. (I hope you don't feel the same way too)

In the 80's Supes was outmoded and outsold by the webswinger,baby (think Austin
Powers) because of hackneyed rehashed plotlines,and of course,his cast of characters was streamlined then. Over-using Curt Swan coupled with poor inkers and colorists added to the poor sales of the books. Any Marvel comic in that era had better artists and inkers (but not necessarily writers). I think DC was scrimping on talents that time and they did not have the fantastic rapport that Mort Weisinger had with the readers in Superman's Silver age days.

The stories by
But hence Spidey has to pay bills, have costume problems, get a job the hard way, share his thoughts in a manner that's very simillar to the way people would do" and with superman sure he's got all these "mythos, and maggins" and stuff but only the die-hard fan can identify with that and not the casual reading market.

I find it very hard to identify with a babbling neurotic who whines while he fights
that is especially true of Spidey,and the mutants. If I want jokes form neurotic people I want to listen to Woody Allen instead.  Cheesy

Despite their heroic qualities,they became heroes by accident,if you review their origins. Batman,Supes,Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) etc were heroes by choice,they had greatness and responsibility thrust upon them,but they took those burdens willingly. Even Thor,a personal favorite of mine,was not exempt from that trap in the Stan Lee days. Walt Simonson elevated Thor to heroic levels,and the current writer (DC drop-out Dan Jurgens) still has not matched that level,despite teaming up with great artists like John Romita Jr.,Andy Kubert and Tom Rainey.

As for the old Supes,I prefer him to Spidey because he has his share of outlandish stories (example the Bizarro series and some of the imaginary tales)

That's what I can say in defense of the Silver Age Supes.  :wink:

You can roll up your eyes again till they drop   :shock: if you don't know that a Filipino is writing this e-mail. (Only Pinoys can make such ridiculous lines like favorite nemesis,pare)

What does your Nippongo greeting mean? Speaka da inglish,man...we're not otakus. :lol:

Peace,man...
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 05:18:06 AM »

Oh goody, someone who can make lift my hp points Smiley

Here's my response to my countryman,Rugal,who's playing devil's advocate and "Pilosopong Tacio"  

I didn't intend to act like which you've stated (I'm going to state my view whatever way I want, now if you think that's "knowitall-ish" that's not my problem) but if that's your interpretation, there's no point in mentioning it (because it only serves as a need for retribution/or a phrase to annoy me) rather than getting to the point. (having said that.. NOW we're even)

My point is that Superman is considered a part of modern folklore,despite the fact that he sprang from the brows of Shuster and Siegel. Many was the time when an idea or invention was simply conceived by its creator to fill a need. When that invention becomes a success,it becomes a necessity not a luxury. Creations also change to suit the needs of the public or consumers involved.

point taken.

Take the telephone which was invented in the 20th century. It was a luxury when
it was invented. A hundred years later,calling people on the phone can be made with portable models,like the cell phone. Now a luxury becomes a necessity,and a basic idea was modified to suit the changing times.

Smiley point taken

A popular figure (read fictitious) undergoes various stages of development. In modern parlance,it's like
using WINDOWS. Using that analogy,Superman (and WINDOWS for that matter)
had to change to suit the needs of its viewers. Are you still using the prototype of WINDOWS? You maybe using 95,98 or XP,but not its earlier version.

Sorry don't have a PC at home, not your problem (I know) nonetheless PT

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L