superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Will there be another guy like him?  (Voting closed: October 11, 2004, 09:36:56 AM)
Yes & why. - 2 (18.2%)
No & why. - 9 (81.8%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The death of a true Superman.  (Read 5494 times)
avathar476
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:56 PM »

Christopher Reeve, the actor who made us all believe that a man can fly, passed away last sunday night due to heart failure. He was 52.

Not only was he able to portray the Man of Steel with such conviction & humanity but in real life, he became a "superhero" for millions & inspired us all when he faced on his battle against paralysis & refused to let it snuff the life out of him. That to me is how you define a "hero" & Christopher Reeve, in the eyes of this fan & countless millions everywhere, is really a true "Superman" in every sense of the word.

May you find peace in the great blue beyond, Mr. Reeve. Thanks to you, you made us all believe that indeed, a man could fly. You'll be sorely missed.

QUOTE : " Superheroes aren’t heroes because they’re strong; they’re heroes because they perform acts that look beyond themselves." - Alex Ross, in his biography. Fine & fitting words indeed, for such a truly wonderful man
jmr72777
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »

Christopher Reeve was a true SUPERMAN for so many reasons.....

"Live as one of them Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed.  But always hold in your heart pride in your special heritage."

--Jor-El

In the truest way, Christopher Reeve made us not only believe that a man can fly, but that he truly enjoyed being SUPERMAN.  I don't just mean Mr. Reeve himself.  His portrayal of THE MAN OF STEEL conveyed a certain joy and pride at being able to do the things he could do.  This transcended any previous portrayal because with his enjoyment, we too enjoyed it.

From the moment he drops Lois off after her first rescue (he turns to fly away, SMILES, and turns back to playfully suggest the safety of flying,) to his first flight in SUPERMAN III after being restored to his true self (the smile on his face is practically infectious,) he displayed a warmth and a sense of awe and fun that was never matched before and not since.

As was said on the SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE DVD, he was practically disarming in that uniform.  He embodied SUPERMAN.  Even in the worst of the films, at the corniest of moments, he was still SUPERMAN.

In his fight after his accident he proved himself a SUPERMAN again, fighting to regain the use of his body, as well as helping to spearhead the fight for others.  He truly brought a sense of magic, even to those darker times.

He inspired so many others, both on the screen and off.  He will DEFINITELY be missed.

JMR

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be.  They only lack the light to show the way.  For this reason, above all, their capacity for good; I've sent them you......my only son"

Jor-El
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:24:29 AM »

While not as big Crisis in the real world as in the comics event, I'd like to paraphrase Kal-El's final comments on Kara's death as they apply to Christopher Reeves' death.

The nights will seem that much longer and colder now that Mr. Reeves is gone.

I hope and pray that he finds peace and happiness wherever he's gone.  He brought so much to others so it seems fair that he finds it himself.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 07:00:28 AM »

What defines a Superman?
Super Powers aside, it is the indomitable will to stand up to diversity and triumph against all odds. Mr. Reeve had "plenty of sand to burn" both with the costume and outside of it; he will be missed by legions of Superman fans as well people who share his disabilities and looked to him to be a spokesperson for the invisible.

MK
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:22:13 AM »

A common theme in the Pre-Crisis Superman books was that every alternate reality had its Superman; he was the common thread that ran through the multiverse.

We had our Superman here, too. He only wore the tights briefly, and he only flew on wires, but can anyone who knows how bravely Chris Reeve lived since 1995 deny that he was Superman?
Supergrl5013
Superman Family

"Be happy, not crappy"- my personal quote

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 10:52:19 PM »

Quote from: "jmr72777"
Christopher Reeve was a true SUPERMAN for so many reasons.....

"Live as one of them Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed.  But always hold in your heart pride in your special heritage."

--Jor-El

In the truest way, Christopher Reeve made us not only believe that a man can fly, but that he truly enjoyed being SUPERMAN.  I don't just mean Mr. Reeve himself.  His portrayal of THE MAN OF STEEL conveyed a certain joy and pride at being able to do the things he could do.  This transcended any previous portrayal because with his enjoyment, we too enjoyed it.

From the moment he drops Lois off after her first rescue (he turns to fly away, SMILES, and turns back to playfully suggest the safety of flying,) to his first flight in SUPERMAN III after being restored to his true self (the smile on his face is practically infectious,) he displayed a warmth and a sense of awe and fun that was never matched before and not since.

As was said on the SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE DVD, he was practically disarming in that uniform.  He embodied SUPERMAN.  Even in the worst of the films, at the corniest of moments, he was still SUPERMAN.

In his fight after his accident he proved himself a SUPERMAN again, fighting to regain the use of his body, as well as helping to spearhead the fight for others.  He truly brought a sense of magic, even to those darker times.

He inspired so many others, both on the screen and off.  He will DEFINITELY be missed.

JMR

AMEN.... GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY :gloom:  I WILL NEVER FOR GET YOU... he IS SUPERMAN.... I cried when i heard it on 1010 WINS....the whole day too.... and i'm gonna start crying now....... Every year there's some one who changes our lives... he din't live to 53, but in my heart he'll be 53 years Young... For me my heroes were/and stillare Christopher Reeve.... Helen Slater....My parents.... Christopher gave me faith and some one to look up to, besides my parents,...I'll never forget him

Miss Danvers
Supermen of America

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 09:15:52 AM »

I just simply cannot imagine someone else with so much raw emotional acting talent plus effortless charisma plus looking so much like Superman physically coming along again. Appaentley Brandon Routh is very simular in the way that he acts to Christopher Reeve so here's hoping I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L