superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modification of flight explanation from Wolverton's book  (Read 12705 times)
MarkPalenik
Supermen of America

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 11:48:51 PM »

Pure, unadultarated quackery.  There's no reason to even consider taking this guy seriously until you can see his results published in a peer reviewed journal.
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 12:36:30 AM »

Well, it does say that he is persecuted by the scientific establishment. That said, it would be near impossible to get his work in a peer reviewed journal, even if said work merited it.

MK
MarkPalenik
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 12:56:04 AM »

Why do you think he's "persecuted" by the establishment?  Because they looked at what he was saying and found it absolutely ridiculous - and it is - physically speaking, what he claims is impossible.

If his work was deserving of any merit, it would be published in a peer reviewed journal - although even that wouldn't mean he was actually correct.  In fact, the sheer usefullness of "anti-gravity" are so numerous, I'm sure somebody would jump at the chance to make use of his research if he were legitimate.

In Russia there was a trend, especially during the cold war, for everyone to call himself a "scientist", because the government wanted to encourage science and offered a lot of benefits to anyone claiming to be a scientist, which significantly improved the quality of life.  While this is no longer true, there is still a huge mass of "scientists" in Russia with no scientific training or ability whatsoever left over from this era.  There is a lot of incredibly bad "research" done in Russia because of this - although it usually isn't that difficult to sort out the obvious frauds, like this guy.

And finally, every crank claims he's being "persecuted".  The number of legitimate scientists whose work is brushed off as fanciful is incredibly small, and they *always* find a way, eventually to make their work viewed as legitimate.
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 03:07:08 AM »

You are largely correct, except for some, their ideas have received merit only after their times

MK
MarkPalenik
Supermen of America

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 10:21:57 PM »

I'm curious, to who are you referring?  The only example I can think of off of the top of my head would be Gallileo, but for the most part, his ideas *were* accepted at the time, although there was the matter of the persecution of the church - I think we can safely say that was a completely different situation, though.  If the scientist from the article posted here is being persecuted in *that* manner, he should probably notify the authorities.
ManSinha
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 05:54:42 AM »

Galileo for one certainly; Leonardo da Vinci's inventions were also largely credited after his time.

MK
MarkPalenik
Supermen of America

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 08:02:56 PM »

Anyone more recent?  I don't think either of those situations are similar to this man's.

And I'm kind of hesitant to call Leo a scientist - and even if his ideas weren't credited until after his time, I don't think they caused him to be persecuted during his time.
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 02:57:51 PM »

I figured I'd revive this thread and post this. It has some pretty cool scientific stuff about Superman's powers. Be sure to scroll right to the bottom for the "next" button...some people miss it.

EDIT: Heh, I just noticed the authors section at the end, and one of them is our very own Captain Kal. Good work Cap. Smiley

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L