superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I being stupid?  (Read 3038 times)
ulysse
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: November 05, 2004, 08:28:45 PM »

At 33 years old, I grew up with Superman (I am from the UK).  He was , to me, a real HERO, due to the films.   If someone sais to me, who is a super hero, I say Superman.

If I hear the superman theme tune, and if its played loud, in stereo, wait for this.................I begin to cry.   It really moves me emotionaly.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I stupid!  I really felt bad all those years ago when Christopher reeves had his accident and I felt really bad when he died.  Does anyone get moved to the music?Huh???
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:47:11 PM »

You're not alone. Loud music makes me cry, too.  Cheesy

Seriously, I am sometimes "moved" by Williams' Superman theme, but usually in an uplifting way, not a teary-eyed way.  It's a rousing theme.  In fact, it's the only thing about the movies I think they got 100% right.  And even though I have my doubts about the new movie, I'm glad to hear they want to keep the music.

I still remember reading the end of Kingdom Come Book One; when Superman finally shows up, the movie theme was playing in my head.  Pretty cool.

If I'd know that was going to be the high point of the entire story, I might've saved 15 bucks, by the way.

This looks like a job for...
jmr72777
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »

NOT AT ALL!

Music, specifically film music, has always been important to me as mood music.  But moreso in the case of SUPERMAN music than anything.  It is probably one of the finest additions to the SMALLVILLE episode, "Rosetta."  Hearing the music, and hearing the words from Christopher Reeve truly combine to make a teary moment.

There are quite a few pieces of music from SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE which can have that effect:

1) THE DESTRUCTION OF KRYPTON - Not the actual destruction but the part where Jor-El says goodbye to his son.  This music is used again in SUPERMAN II when Lara tries to talk Superman out of giving up his powers (aka MOTHER'S ADVICE)
2) THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE - Specifically the part where Jor-El speaks to his son.  This music adds even more importance to the words spoken by Marlon Brando.
3) THE BIG RESCUE - The key to this one, with me, is to imagine being in the audience of a theater when the film was first released.  Surrounding yourself with people who have no idea what is about to happen, and sharing in the thrill of watching SUPERMAN leap into the sky and do the unexpected.  Truly a thrilling piece
4) As sappy as this may be, LOVE THEME FROM SUPERMAN is another one.  It didn't really have an impact until I saw the theatrical trailer off the DVD which uses the end of this piece.  It takes on a whole new meaning and always gives me a swell of pride.

SUPERMAN music has always been appropriately inspiring to me, which is why I created SUPERMEN (aka the 'Soundtrack to Superman Through The Ages' found on the MULTIMEDIA page. -- cheap plug)

ASIDE:  One of these days I want to lay down visuals to the audio track, especially since I've updated it and improved the sound quality in recent months.

BACK TO THE POINT:  Music has, to me, been an integral part of my SUPERMAN fandom.  And it still, to this day, can make me teary-eyed.

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be.  They only lack the light to show the way.  For this reason, above all, their capacity for good; I've sent them you......my only son"

Jor-El
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L