superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:51:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Kara Zor-El- what now?  (Read 4427 times)
comicfan
Superman's Pal

« on: November 06, 2004, 04:17:37 PM »

Anyone know what's in store for the Post Crisis Kara Zor-El now that her story arc's wrapped up in Superman/Batman #13?  Though I disliked the story as a whole, I did like the character, and hope she continues into her own series.
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:28:53 AM »

no clue.  There have been rumors floating around that Gail Simone might be picking her up as the writer...Just rumors...nothing substantial.  And a few people who mare or may not know something, are dropping hints that there is something in store for the coming year.  

All that means is that, unless you work for DC, your guess is as good as anyone's  :lol:

Personally, I think we will see her guest star in a few other comics but I think she will get her own title rather quickly.

The way I am reading it is that Supergirl IS a money maker...but TPTB noticed dipping sales on PAD's Run...and decided to float the notion of a return of Kara (aka Many Happy Returns).  Seeing how that went over and the sudden jump in sales clued TPTB in that Kara will sell better.  

(I have no clue what they were thinking with Cir-El...puke :l: )

So, strictly for reasons of profit, I think they will try to take advantage of that as soon as possible instead of dragging out her guest star appearances.

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 10:01:10 AM »

The new (old) version of Kara has definitely struck a chord, especially with the fans of the animated Justice League.  She has a great design and the new origin I think is smart if unnecessary.
I am happy because Kara is the only member of the Superman family to have shared my namesake's one comic book appearance.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:52:48 PM »

Telle?  I had to check DarkMark's Supergirl Index to locate that character.  Action #299, I take it?  There's no information in the summary besides an appearance listing (statue of an ancient Kryptonian god) -- might I ask what attributes or activities fell under Telle's domain?  Thanks!

DTO
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:09:43 PM »

Dylan, apparently Peter David suggested "Many Happy Returns" as a desperate "Hail Mary" to save his threatened Supergirl title, followed by a proposed "Blond Justice" with Kara, Linda and Power Girl.  (It's not clear whether this was supposed to be a new title or a continuation of Supergirl.)  DC only allowed six appearances, and then cancelled the run, forcing PAD to use a different, darker ending for #80.  One wonders if DC had a different agenda all along, since while they failed to publicize the return of Kara Zor-El and all but rushed to axe the ongoing Supergirl series BEFORE sales results of "Many Happy Returns" showed an increase in interest, they were also preparing the debut of Cir-El.  The resulting fan backlash against Cir-El, and the subsequent demand for a "Many Happy Returns" trade paperback caused a quick turn-about.  And we can see the results of this rushed into production "Supergirl by Committee" in "Superman/Batman #8-13".  It really looks like DC was still trying to figure out what fans were demanding while this series was in mid-run!

As for future appearances, it's STRONGLY hinted that Kara will make "guest appearances" in JSA, Teen Titans, Outsiders and JLA.  She was already mentioned by Power Girl in a recent JSA issue, and I suspect Kara's appearance will tie into the "Power Trip" arc where Karen Starr finally learns her true origin in 2005.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 12:12:28 AM »

If my avatar was legible at all you would know all that I know:  simply that the statue Kara sees in that panel (beside the Gods of Beauty and Strength) says "Telle, God of Wisdom".
These gods are also called "Legendary heroes" in the text, I think.  Too bad there was never a story featuring them, along the lines of Superman's various encounters with Earth heroes like Hercules, Atlas, etc.

might I ask what attributes or activities fell under Telle's domain

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L