superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:07:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's encounters with non-Superman villains  (Read 4659 times)
PhantomZoner
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: November 20, 2004, 12:07:59 AM »

Hello. I'm looking for issues where Superman (pre-crisis of course) encounters villains who normally didn't belong to his group of usual villains like Brainiac, Luthor and so on. For some odd reason I tend to like stories with already well-established villains who've never challenged Superman before. Any suggestions?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 07:24:25 AM »

Most of the stories that spring to mind are JLA stories where they take on super-villain teams like the mid-80s Ultra-Humanite stories.

Vandal Savage from the Wolfman-scripted Action issues (being discussed on another semi-current thread here, I think) is a good Supes cross-over villain.  Or was he originally a Supes villain?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »

Here are some I recall:

Gorilla Grodd (an enemy of the Flash) fought Superman in Action Comics #424, June 1973.

Solomon Grundy (an enemy of Green Lantern of Earth-Two) took on Superman in Superman #301, July 1976. Superman also fought an Earth-One version Solomon Grundy in DC Comics Presents #8, April 1979. Of course, Superman's first encounter with the original Grundy was in Justice League of America #91 & 92, August & September 1971 (reprinted in Crisis on Multiple Earths Volume 3).

The Scarecrow (an enemy of the Batman) was a member of Injustice Gang and fought Superman in Justice League of America #111, May-June 1974.

The Queen Bee's Anti-Justice League faced Superman in Action Comics #443, January 1975. The Anti-Justice League included Sinestro (an enemy of Green Lantern), Clayface (an enemy of the Batman), Gorilla Grodd, and a few lesser villains. Superman brushed them all aside before being stopped (temporarily) by Brainiac.

Star Sapphire (an enemy of Green Lantern) met Superman in Superman #261, February 1973.

I'm sure there are several other examples, particularly in World's Finest Comics, DC Comics Presents, and Justice League of America.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 11:02:35 AM »

The Queen Bee's Anti-Justice League faced Superman in Action Comics #443, January 1975. The Anti-Justice League included Sinestro (an enemy of Green Lantern), Clayface (an enemy of the Batman), Gorilla Grodd, and a few lesser villains. Superman brushed them all aside before being stopped (temporarily) by Brainiac.

Of course!  I actually have a piece of Curt Swan's art from that issue (a flying Clark Kent stops the Queen's bank robbers).  Classic!

I think the heroes should have traded Rogues Galleries more often.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

Here's a few more from "DC Comics Presents".  I'm sure there are others (especially in the Aquaman teamups -- did they once battle Ocean Master?), but these come to mind.

I believe Superman and Green Lantern bettled Sinestro in #26.  the Joker popped up in Issues #41 and #72.  Superman teamed up with Captain Marvel against Black Adam in #49.  And then there was the DC/Masters of the universe crossover in #47 -- Superman and He-Man vs. Skeletor!

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 01:00:24 PM »

From the same period, Supes took on Green Lantern's Star Sapphire in SM 261.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:48:48 PM »

Pre-Crisis, in his own solo Super-books, Superman took on:  

Gorilla Grodd  
Amazo  
Brain Wave  

With Batman in World's Finest, and other heroes in DCCP, Superman took on:  

Sinestro  
Mr. IQ  
Chemo  
Dr. Light  
The Joker  

Hmmm...  I'll have to come up with some more later...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 04:16:29 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
Here's a few more from "DC Comics Presents".  I'm sure there are others (especially in the Aquaman teamups -- did they once battle Ocean Master?), but these come to mind.

I believe Superman and Green Lantern bettled Sinestro in #26.  the Joker popped up in Issues #41 and #72.  Superman teamed up with Captain Marvel against Black Adam in #49.  And then there was the DC/Masters of the universe crossover in #47 -- Superman and He-Man vs. Skeletor!

Here is the cover to that Black Adam issue: http://www.supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/shazam/dccomics.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L