superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Millar on Superman  (Read 10646 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
I can't say I agree with all of what he says, either.  But at least he understands more than the Byrne-Jurgens-Carlin crowd.

It's safe to say that they're not exactly thrilled by what Millar had to say about the character. I voiced my support for Millar's idea on one board and a poster responded by saying that Maggin was overrated. It struck me as odd that someone would call Maggin "overrated," seeing as he inspired MANY comic writers (including Mark Waid). You can see Maggin's influence all over Kingdom Come for example.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »

Frankly, I didn't know Maggin was "rated" at all.  Working as he did in the period before super-star "creators" and their ridiculous salaries, I think he's not even on many modern fans' radars.

These days there are writers who are so popular they take readers with them from book to book the way artists used to.  And if you ask me, most of them couldn't hold a candle to their predecessors, not only the likes of Maggin and Bates but also Hamilton, Woolfolk, Finger, Binder and dozens of others who didn't even get a by-line!

If you're going to peg a writer as overrated, start with some of these young dopes who are raking in rock star salaries with derivative plot-lines in modern comics.  The old-timers did much better work and got no fanfare at all.

Anyway, I'm sure you're right that DC isn't too happy with having Millar call their product crap.  It doesn't strike me as the best strategy to get himself assigned the books.  I predict we'll see him take over about the time Jim Caviezel stars in a Superman movie.  :lol:

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 02:11:09 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"

Anyway, I'm sure you're right that DC isn't too happy with having Millar call their product crap.  It doesn't strike me as the best strategy to get himself assigned the books.  I predict we'll see him take over about the time Jim Caviezel stars in a Superman movie.  :lol:

Well, that's why I posted what I did Wink

Anyway, we all know that DC is going to reboot Superman yet again if the new movie is a hit to match the movie.

:shock:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 07:01:50 PM »

There's a new Mark Millar interview up at PopCultureShock. In it, he mentions Superman quite a bit. However, he also discusses a few "controversial" topics such as religion and politics. If you're not bothered by those topics, I'd recommend checking it out, click here.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I think he's right with his theory that the people who've been writing Superman for the last 15 years don't like the character.  That's really the only explanation for the upside-down nature of the books.

But the big news for me in that interview was a one line, tossed off comment that Mike Allred is doing a 12 volume comic book adaptation of the Book of Mormon, and the artwork looks like the best Kirby he's done yet.   Pretty wild idea.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 10:36:40 PM »

Quote from: "The Starchild"
I think he's right with his theory that the people who've been writing Superman for the last 15 years don't like the character.  That's really the only explanation for the upside-down nature of the books.

I agree with that as well. However, there are some exceptions; guys like Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, and Jeph Loeb really "get" the character.

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 12:40:06 PM »

But the big news for me in that interview was a one line, tossed off comment that Mike Allred is doing a 12 volume comic book adaptation of the Book of Mormon, and the artwork looks like the best Kirby he's done yet.   Pretty wild idea.

Those other writers should maybe write their own characters instead of rectifying "problems" with already existing icons like Supes.

That Allred book looks neat --it's a shame that the conditions didn't exist for Kirby himself to do his own multi-part version of the Old Testament.  I guess we have to be satisfied with Jimmy Olsen and the New Gods.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
That Allred book looks neat --it's a shame that the conditions didn't exist for Kirby himself to do his own multi-part version of the Old Testament.  I guess we have to be satisfied with Jimmy Olsen and the New Gods.

Yeah, and Mister Miracle, and Thor, and Silver Surfer, and the Eternals and Captain Victory and...   :wink:

Quote from: "NotSuper"
(about the Millar interview) I think he's right with his theory that the people who've been writing Superman for the last 15 years don't like the character. That's really the only explanation for the upside-down nature of the books.

I agree with that as well. However, there are some exceptions; guys like Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, and Jeph Loeb really "get" the character.

Well, Millar also said that Superman/Batman and Superman: Birthright are two examples of comics that "get it," so I think he'd agree with you there too.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L