superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "TRAPPED in IMP-TV!"  (Read 11586 times)
darkmark90
Supermen of America

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 04:31:26 AM »

Actually, I think Moore's story, as fantastic as it is, has to be imaginary.  To wit:  he reveals Mxy's "true" nature, that of a big, scary, impossible-to-perceive-with-our-3D-senses, evil sorceror.  But in tons of Superboy and Superman stories, we saw the 5th dimensional world of Zrfff, and its inhabitants (including Mxy's own parents).  No evil sorcerors, just funny little people.  Doesn't bear out Moore's "revelation".

(Aside:  Lex Luthor vows eternal vengeance on Superboy for making him lose his hair, and Mxyzptlk does much the same because Supes made his dad give him a spanking with a hairbrush.  Didn't take much to set off villains in those days, did it?)

I've also got problems accepting the last ish of DC COMICS PRESENTS as canonical.  In an ish of WORLD'S FINEST, we learned that the Bizarro World would be transformed into a "normal" planet with "normal" inhabitants (which, really, is a pretty grave loss) in the future by cosmic forces.  If Bizarro and his friends don't survive, that can't happen.  Also, a couple of LSH stories showed Jax-Ur and his buddies still around in the 30th Century Phantom Zone, so getting them all merged with Mxy seems contradictory.

Ah, well.  It isn't the first time old stories have been forgotten.

I'm a BIG writer of fanfic, much of it about Supergirl but covering lots of characters in lots of comic universes.  Check the stories out at http://Dark_Mark.tripod.com/darkmark1.htm and at http://darkmark90.tripod.com/darkmark2.html .
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 12:10:48 PM »

Quote from: "dto"

Yes, I can imagine Supergirl marrying an alien hero...

Weisinger's 2nd Law: Supergirl shall only date aliens, robots, and animals.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 03:00:03 PM »

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" explicitly SAID it was an "Imaginary Story", which would explain all the contradictions with "DC Comics Presents #97".  ("Whatever Happened...?" also has an internal contradiction -- Superwoman Kristen Wells appears in a cameo, but how could she even EXIST if her ancestor Jimmy Olsen died at the Fortress of Solitude?)  As for DCCP #97, this last issue was probably a "sweeping of the decks" just prior to the Byrne reboot, and a chance for the creative staff to finally "let loose".  After all, everything was going to change with "The Man of Steel", so there would be no continuity problems.  

I suspect if you want to keep DCCP #97, you could always assume that the former Earth-1 Superman retired to bed that night still woozy from all the kryptonite, and woke up the next morning as Byrne's Man of Steel without skipping a beat.  The last ripple effects of the Crisis finally caught up to him, changing his past history and wiping away DCCP #97 -- but it really DID happen once.

As for "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", this was supposed to be a last "Superman" story (note the use of "a", not "THE last").  But it really can't happen the same way in current DC continuity.  I supposed this may have happened on a Hypertime "Earth-1 like" world (Kristen being sidetracked from a neighboring Hypertimeline during her travels into the past).  Similarly, Elliot S! Maggin's future history account of Superman departing Earth for centuries might still occur in another Hypertime.  One can only wonder at the tantalizing plot possibilities that would never be pursued, or perhaps extrapolate them in fan-fiction.  I believe some people here have already done this, eh?  ;-)

DTO
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

Richard Malverne was at least one exception to that law.  ;-)

By the way, if you haven't seen it yet check out Solo #1.  This is the one drawn by Tim Sales (with Catwoman on the cover).  Diana Schutz wrote a Supergirl story "Young Love" that finally provides the conclusion to the cliffhanging kiss seen in the prematurely-cancelled "(The Daring New Adventures of) Supergirl #23".  I always wondered why Richard Malverne suddenly appeared in that last issue (after being absent for about 14 years real time), and this coda provides a satisfying yet bittersweet ending.  (It also parallels the Peter David Supergirl series.)

Yes, there are some artisitic continuity issues (especially Supergirl's costume), but I can overlook that -- might as well stick to a design most current readers are familiar with (even if the Silver Age Kara never did wear that particular costume) rather than crowd the original all-blue dress AND the Crisis costume into an eight-page story.  And the tone is rather introspective, though considering the events appropriately so.  Overall, this was a worthy Pre-Crisis tale and I am keeping this issue with my old Supergirl comics -- right after #23.

Even if Solo doesn't really belong in the current mainstream DC universe, I was VERY surprised that they approved "Young Love", as it deals with a twenty-year-old dangling plotline from a long-cancelled series based on a character who not only "doesn't exist" but is currently being rebooted as a new individual.  But it's nice that some writers still remember the old stories and realize that fans REALLY wanted to know whatever happened to Linda and Richard...

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 10:03:57 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"

Richard Malverne was at least one exception to that law.  ;-)

I prefer the apellation "Dick" Malverne. Cheesy   Did Supergirl ever date him, or just Linda?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 02:10:47 PM »

That Sale SOLO Sgirl tale was tip top and very affectng~sob~

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L