superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a new Crisis coming?  (Read 8201 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« on: December 14, 2004, 05:40:34 PM »

Recently, there has been discussion on the internet about DC possibly having another Crisis-like event. I took the following from CHUD:

Op-Ed: Does DC Have Another Crisis in Store for Us?

By Devon Sanders and Scipio Garling with more than significant input from Chris Green and James Kurtz

Luthor was right: a Crisis IS coming.

Let’s start with just the little things. Things that suggest that in 2005, the writers and editors are either taking characters into forbidden territory because they know it will all soon be fixed or simply stalling, waiting for…something.

Batman’s “urban legend” exposed on TV and a total breakdown of relations between the Bat-Family and The GCPD.

Dick Grayson’s gradual mental unraveling across several titles.

The impending return of Hal Jordan.

The “Birthright” revision of Superman/Luthor’s origins, penned by Mark Waid, to be more in sync with television’s “Smallville”.

The new “any era goes” format of the Justice League book.

But those are just changes in atmosphere. For months now, there’ve been actual clues of MAJOR changes in regards to DC Comics’ superhero universe. Staring us in the face (slapping us, even!) are clues pointing toward a revamp that will allow:

Total redemption for mass murderer Hal Jordan, and his return as Green Lantern.

A revivified Legion that is both more in tune with its origins and more new reader-friendly.

A DCU more like the animated JLU with the icons at the center and every other character still “on the board”.

The perfect opportunity for an event of Crisis-like proportions, only this time keeping what works and fixing what doesn’t.

Mark my words…it’s all prefaced and foreshadowed in 1999’s Kingdom #2 and brought together by the events of by The Teen Titans/Legion Special. (Both written by one Mark Waid.)

The final page of The Kingdom # 2 shows a pre-Crisis Golden Age Superman searching for a door between the universes. The Golden Age Superman wants his world back, be careful what he wishes for he just may get it…someday.

“For all he’d done, he deserved Heaven…not prison. But now, at long last, he knows this isn’t the jail he once believed it to be. Now he knows that there’s a DOOR. There’s a door, even if he’s not going to use it. Not TODAY, anyway.”

Meanwhile, 1000 years in the future (Teen Titans/Legion #1), the LSH are dislodged from reality when they confront “some other force out there…something that’s POUNDING against reality.” When all’s said and done, the Teen Titans are returned a decade after they first left where we find the former Superboy is now Superman ten years on and wearing a very Kingdom Come Superman-ish costume. Could that “pounding against reality” be the Golden Age Superman wanting in to our reality? If that pounding has effected the 31st Century, could the editors have it headed for the 21st Century as well? (…we all know that as The Legion goes, so does The DC Universe i.e. Crisis or Zero Hour, anyone?)

Speaking of the “Kingdom Come Superman”, think about his ‘return’ (Superman/Batman #2) with a warning for “our” Superman, “I’m you. Years from now. I’ve come to STOP you. I know you’ll THINK you’re doing the right thing --- but you’ll be WRONG. You’ll only wind up killing them all. And you’ll be all alone.” Throw-away comment by Loeb or something else?

Another “omen of the apocalypse”: the appearance of the Crime Syndicate (originally of Earth III), amongst the first victims of the Crisis. In JLA Secret Files 2004, the Crime Syndicate’s Johnny Quick is shunted a year or more into the future only to be jettisoned back, proclaiming, “It’s gone! All of it---IT”S ALL GONE! …there was NOTHING THERE! The WHOLE UNIVERSE---GONE, DESTROYED! There’s NO FUTURE---NO FUTURE AT ALL!

If you can’t believe a wild-eyed Luthor or juiced-up Johnny, how about Mr. Mxyzptlk’s visit to Superman in July’s Adventures of Superman # 630 to warn him of the upcoming events of 2005? He’s stopped from telling Superman everything by “the rules”; what kind of rules could restrain Mxyzptlk from doing ANYthing? Editorial ones, I’ll wager…. In Mxyzptlk’s own words:

“HUSH! The ZERO HOUR approaches! There will be a CRISIS on Earth! Time will need Ritalin, it’s gonna be so HYPER! And a WAR, Ohhh, there will be a WAR, so SECRET that YEARS will pass before it CONCLUDES! A DARK age is coming, my friend, that shall CAST you into a NO MAN’S LAND of DESPAIR!”

Could this be the beginning of a new reality? An “entry-verse” similar to Marvel’s Ultimate Universe? One where classic characters and stories are re-imagined for new readers with little to no knowledge of DC’s vast continuity, more in the spirit of Cartoon Network’s Justice League Unlimited cartoon? One where The Legion Of Superheroes could actually make sense and be popular? Could the new Legion of Super-Heroes title be our first glimpse into this new continuity?

Am I on to something or… am I on something?

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:43:03 PM »

Might not be a bad idea, if true.  But:

A - DC has been talking about "another crisis" since, oh, I don't know - probably since before Zero Hour, even.  Is this the long promised "Hyper Crisis" or is it something else?

B - what's really important is not the new crisis itself, but what will be in place afterwards. ie, will DC wipe out Birthright, or will they wipe out Byrne?  Or both (argh!)

C - this article is pure speculation.  Get me some facts, man!  Smiley

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:19:44 AM »

Another “omen of the apocalypse”: the appearance of the Crime Syndicate (originally of Earth III), amongst the first victims of the Crisis. In JLA Secret Files 2004, the Crime Syndicate’s Johnny Quick is shunted a year or more into the future only to be jettisoned back, proclaiming, “It’s gone! All of it---IT”S ALL GONE! …there was NOTHING THERE! The WHOLE UNIVERSE---GONE, DESTROYED! There’s NO FUTURE---NO FUTURE AT ALL!

I was under the impression that JQ was referring to Krona's destruction of the Anti-Matter Universe in JLA/AVENGERS #1.

If there is a new "CRISIS," it had darn well be better written than the last one, with its various plotholes and painful dialogue. Wolfman's written MUCH better comics.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:42:09 AM »

I have a theory......naaaaaah. :twisted:
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:17:24 PM »

OK, I'll bite.  What's your theory?

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 03:11:32 PM »

My theory (it's a wacky one, mind ya): That Mxy is resposnsible for all the so-called Post-Crisis Ret-con Reboot World.  

Kinda like a bad dream, hoax...and it'll revert to a Wesinger/Schwartz World, after all.

Farfetched -or what? :roll:

Gotta stop sniffing that x-kryptonite myself... :wink:
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »

It's a good theory and I like it.  Also fits in with rumors I've heard that after the new crisis, it'll be like the old crisis never happened.  So why was Mxy crying when he warned Superman that there wasn't much time left?

Also - anyone read the latest issue of Action?  More funky multiple universe things happening.  Almost like the post-Crisis DCU is breaking down.

Psi
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 04:44:37 PM »

The question about is there going to a crisis isn't valid anymore.  Numerous sites have stated a large crisis is coming.  While the Titans were in the future, bad decisions during the crisis are what caused that future that they gleamed.

If you think about it though.. this has been a long time coming.  Hopefully they'll keep the good stuff, and really really make sense some of the Cs that have been through heck and back because of all these time unravelings.  We know that Donna Troy will return during this crisis.. and hopefully, they'll either fix her history, or leave it alone... for once.  Power girl could do with a fix... what and who is she anyway.  Fury II who we've glimpsed a bit lately over in JSA... wow, she needs something to grasp.  I mean it just goes on and on.  Now, Superman has a NEW history...(WHY?) and Beast Boy no longer has a past with the Doom Patrol? (Byrne, you may have gone too far there)  And who let him do that?  It like wipes out years and years of history in tons and tons of books!!!!  Why do they let people mess with things?  At any rate.... this is why something needs to happen.  Perhaps all this stuff could be caused by the Crisis.. which would probably be hypertime.  

Anyway, its all confusing, and hopefully they'll fix things, and leave what needs to be left alone, alone.  We'll see right?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L