superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Serials On DVD?  (Read 6838 times)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« on: December 14, 2004, 11:46:46 PM »

Is there any site on-line that offers the two Superman serials on DVD?  

I KNOW I'm not the only Superman fan who'd love to have Superman and Atom Man Vs. Superman in this format.  Wink

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 02:00:14 AM »

No, you're not the only one.

In fact, I wanted it so bad, I made some myself! Shhhhh....don't tell the lawyers.

No idea when they're getting around to this, if ever.  I think we lucked out in '89 when Warner released the serials on VHS in honor of Superman's 50th.  Before that, I don't know that they'd been available for decades.  Maybe if we're real lucky they'll do it again in honor of the new film, only this time on DVD.

This looks like a job for...
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 03:03:27 PM »

I seem to recall it was a bit earlier than that when the serials came to VHS, like around '86, or '87.  I remember the price being too high for me to actually even THINK about buying at the time (around $100 per serial!).  I DID get them around '89 or '90. though.  

I WAS alerted by a fellow fan on another board about DVDs of the two serials, though.  I don't want to turn this thread into an endorsement, or commercial of any sort, so if anyone wants the site, just e-mail me, okay?  

I'm seriously considering buying 'em after the holidays, when I have some extra cash.  Wink  

Gernot...

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:17:26 PM »

Hmmm...I think you're right.

They did come out a bit earlier, and were very pricey.  Back then even a two-hour VHS tape could run you $40.  I think what I'm remembering is a full-page ad in one of the trades that showed the serials plus the movies (not counting #5) and the George Reeves show, all available on tape for the 50th anniversary.

Not sure when I got round to buying the serials, but they were much cheaper than initially offered.

Just this summer I found the first serial in a bargain bin at Toys R Us for just 4 bucks!  :shock:

This looks like a job for...
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »

4 bucks is a GREAT price for the serials, if you haven't gotten 'em yet!  Geez... I think I paid about $20-$25 for each serial when I got 'em brand-new at a Suncoast!  

Where DID they find new prints to release on VHS, anyway?  I remember in Amazing World Of DC Comics (I forget the number) that a fire had destroyed the master prints, and being VERY surprised to see them on a MoviesToGo rental shelf.  

If I'd had $200+ on me at the time I'd first seen them, I'd've bought BOTH serials on the spot!  Wink

The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 05:39:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I've got at least one of the two Kirk Alyn Superman serials on laserdisc somewhere.

If they were both released on disc, that could be good source material for DVDs.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 01:48:42 AM »

What's the difference between a laserdisc and a DVD?  (Forgive my ignorance!  Wink  )

The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 03:26:13 AM »

About 7 inches.  :wink:

http://www.gizmohighway.com/history/laserdisc.htm

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L