superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:12:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeph Loeb's 'Return to Krypton' - A Missed Opportunity?  (Read 3284 times)
Kal's Pal
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: December 18, 2004, 06:27:53 PM »

Link: http://superman.nu/a/History/166/

I hope to be getting the trade paperback soon, but I've been reading up as much as I can on the 2001 revamp that was ment to bring Superman away from the 'Man of Steel' origin, and more towards the Pre-Crisis one. I'm disappointed that DC didn't seem to have the guts to go ahead with it (I believe they retconned this Silver Age-ish Krypton into being something created by Braniac?). Introducing this new continuity on top of the old one without discarding everything from 1986 onwards is an intriguing idea, and it would have been cool to see more of the Silver Age stuff coming back. Smiley

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Birthright, 'The Supergirl From Krypton' arc in Superman\Batman, and the Krypto appearances - I just think it would have been nice to see the modern era retaining elements of the Wessinger era, it would have opened up the way for some interesting stories. Smiley

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »

Maybe I should add Superman #166 to the website, just to get people really confused.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
Maybe I should add Superman #166 to the website, just to get people really confused.

S!

Hey couldn't be anymore confusing than trying to keep up with the last few years of Supes --- especially the Dominus "Saga" - so I say Go for it

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »

Quote from: "Kal's Pal"
Link: http://superman.nu/a/History/166/

I'm disappointed that DC didn't seem to have the guts to go ahead with it (I believe they retconned this Silver Age-ish Krypton into being something created by Braniac?). Introducing this new continuity on top of the old one without discarding everything from 1986 onwards is an intriguing idea, and it would have been cool to see more of the Silver Age stuff coming back. Smiley

I completely agree.  I was absolutely thrilled with the story in Superman #166 and thought it was the perfect solution, a very fun and exciting integration of the pre-1986 continuity with the post-1986 continuity.  Nothing discarded, everything acknowledged.  No reboot, no fans irate at any erasures.  I was amazed and disgusted by how quickly DC backpedalled on it.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 03:02:47 PM »

Quote from: "lastkryptonianhere"
I say Go for it

I did it.  Here's the announcement.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L