superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New/Old Superman Artist!  (Read 9607 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: December 20, 2004, 01:29:55 PM »

Great krypton! hey Rao, me got a scoop! :shock:  :wink:

heard this direct last night from the horse's mouth ...  a new penciller on one of the Superman titles in 05 will be none other than JOHN BYRNE himself!

He's a pretty cool guy actually. :twisted:
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 01:46:40 PM »

GREAT RAO!

I'm sure that personally Byrne is a fantastic guy, but please DC, don't let him anywhere near a writer's desk!

Don't get me wrong - I loved his work on X-Men, FF, She Hulk, Hulk, Next Men, Rog 2000, etc.  But I don't think he should write a DC book at all.  An announcement that would make me really happy would be if he were talking over Thor or something.  Yes, reading Waid's FF and Byrne's Thor every month would be a blast.

His issues of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Generations really turned me off of DC big time.  Much too sick and twisted, with no heros anywhere in them.  I did like his OMAC and 4th world stuff, though, but those are really Marvel characters in everything but name.

My other fear is that given DC's apparent lack of editorial overship (and inability to decide just what Superman's origin actually is), we'll have Loeb in one title writing about a Superman with the Birthright origin, and Byrne over in another title writing about a Superman with the Man of Steel origin, while DC just claims, "Well, that way we have something for everybody, see!"  :roll:

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 03:56:33 PM »

John's not writing - just pencilling.  It's his idea of having fun. Cheesy
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 06:54:51 PM »

Unless things have changed drastically in comicdom, Byrne can't help fiddling with any story even if he's 'just drawing' it.  He first achieved notoriety when he drew Wolverine killing a guard instead of knocking him out like the writer wrote it.

Byrne on a project in any capacity = Byrne mucking up the works.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 12:19:09 AM »

Although Byrne's schtick, as far as I gleaned from recent reports of his convention actions, is to respect writing/editing and the current incarnation (costume, haircut, etc) of characters unless he has agreed to do a revamp (like in Doom Patrol).  It sounds like just a "mindless" illustration job to me.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 03:24:22 AM »

I sure hope this isn't true.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 04:30:16 AM »

What he said was that he "pencilling one of the Superman titles"..draw your own conclusions. :wink:
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 02:42:39 PM »

Well, the good news here is that DC seems to finally be bending their "no big names on the Superman books" policy.  This could lead to better things down the road.

I for one am not too worried about Byrne's possible addition.  DC is constantly shuffling the Superman creative team around, making announcements right and left, but it never seems to make any difference.  The books continue to be watered down pap.  I can't really see anyone having any influence in the current structure.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L