superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:55:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman & Batman: Generations  (Read 27313 times)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 01:15:46 PM »

Bill 9000, your work is beautful.  One particular thing I like is that you don't have that thick black outline between the red and yellow sections of the S logo.  It's always bugged me that DC puts it on the T-Shirts, as if it actually exists on the costume. :roll:

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 01:01:32 AM »

Thanks, Defender. And you too, Starchild. I always avoid using black lines on a particular character's emblem (unless, of course, the design specifically calls for it, like the Golden Age Green Lantern's, for instance). They simply look better without 'em. And now, on to the next in the series.

We take you to the dark streets of Gotham City in 1949, where Bruce Wayne is now a married man and he and his wife (Anyone care to tell me who that is?) find out that they are expectant parents. I give you Batman 1949.

Who goes there?!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 01:31:56 AM »

Dick Sprang would be proud Bill. Smiley

As to who Bruce's wife is, I always presumed it to be Julie Madison (she was Bruce's fiancee in the early Bob Kane/Bill Finger Batman stories back in the '30s, and she appears prominently in the 1939 section of Generations volume one, number one), although Byrne keeps us in the dark as to her exact identity well into the second volume of the series. Presumably it could be either Julie or Selina Kyle, but we can't say with 100% certainty. We do know it's not Talia anyway. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 01:47:19 AM »

Thanks a lot for the compliment, Defender. I tried to give the '49 Batman as much of a Dick Sprang feel as I could without actually having to duplicate Sprang's classic work.

As for Bruce Wayne's mysterious wife (and the mother of Bruce Jr.), I've been trying to find out exactly who she is. I've read through Generations 2 (I have the trade paperback edition), and I even read the Mild Mannered Reviews on Generations 3 at Superman Home Page, but to no avail. Logic would dictate that, like you said,  it's either Julie Madison or Selina Kyle (a.k.a. the Catwoman). I seriously doubt its Talia, because Bruce Sr. encountered her and her father (Ra's Al Ghul) long after Bruce Jr. reached adulthood and assumed the mantle of the Batman. I may have to log onto Byrne Robotics and pose the question to John Byrne himself, although chances are I probably won't get an answer.

Who goes there?!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 02:26:58 AM »

No worres Bill, I was teasing about the Talia connection. It's a toss-up between Selina and Julie in my opinion. You could query Byrne, but most likely he'd be coy and suggest it's whoever we'd prefer of the two. Still, it's worth a shot. Wish they'd hurry up and collect Generations 3 already. . . Smiley

-Def.

The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 02:42:05 AM »

I think John Byrne has said that it's deliberately a mystery and that he has no specific woman in mind.  Maybe there were a bunch of old imaginary stories in the sixties where Batman had a wife, but she was always in shadow or something so the reader never actually saw who it was.  So JB is was just playing with that.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 02:53:07 AM »

Quote from: "Defender"
No worres Bill, I was teasing about the Talia connection.

I dunno, man.  :wink:  That Lazarus Pit worked wonders for both Bruce Sr. and Ra's. So maybe Talia used it to rejuvinate herself in the 50s and go abroad to sow her oats.  :lol:

Who goes there?!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 04:18:51 AM »

As I recall Starchild the 'official' explanation for Dick as Batman II and Bruce Jr. as Robin II was that Alfred was something of a closet novelist, writing up these imaginary stories of Dick as Batman and Bruce's son teaming up to battle the son of the Joker. In those tales Bruce's wife's face was also concealed from the reader's eye, so they were always left guess as to just who won Batman's heart after all.

Well Bill, one never knows, does one? Wink Still, given the fact that the Batman II tales were penned long before O'Neil and Adams created Ra's and Talia, I tend to lean more toward the former two suspects. But hey, that's me.

-Def.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L