superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman & Batman: Generations  (Read 27311 times)
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 04:41:45 AM »

*Sigh* Guess I'll have to chalk this subject up as one of those "Unsolved Mysteries".  :cry:  :wink:

Who goes there?!
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 07:51:56 AM »

Ah well, some things are better left to the imagination anyway. Terminal what-happens-next-itis has been the bane of many a great comics series, as well as the consistent desire to know it all. I like a couple loose ends myself. Leaves some room for reader interpretation. Smiley

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »

According to John Bryne, Batman's wife is "Kathy Kane", a.k.a
"Batwoman"

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 02:49:45 PM »

Quote from: "SuperThinnker"
According to John Bryne, Batman's wife is "Kathy Kane", a.k.a
"Batwoman"

I just found an answer in the Byrne Robotics FAQ section about this very subject. Byrne's answer goes like this:

Batman has never had a "Lois Lane". There have been many women in his life -- Julie Madison, Vicki Vale, Kathy Kane, Selina Kyle, Silver St. Cloud, Talia -- any one of whom is considered "perfect" by various segments of fandom. My own choice would be Kathy, but she did not fit the rules I had set up for GENERATIONS, in terms of when characters would appear. Logically, of course, Mrs. Wayne would be Julie, since she and Bruce were already affianced before the series even started, and in the "real time" world of the "Generations Universe" they most likely would have gotten married. So, with no one definite to use, I decided to play it as a mystery. Simply never call her by name. By keeping her face obscured until she was really old (or painted green!) I added a level -- one that is quite illusory, since "all Byrne's women look the same". I could have shown her face and there would have been nothing revealed!

Who goes there?!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »

I just had another idea for doing the bios on the different characters that appear in Generations. I'm going to list who originally created them. For example, all of the Superman entries will stated that he was originally created by Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster. Similarly, all Batman entries will state that he was originally created by Bob Kane. But one escapes me. Who originally created the Pre-Crisis Superboy? If it wasn't Siegal and Shuster, them who was it? :?:

Who goes there?!
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »

Actually, Pre Crisis Superboy was definitely created by Siegel & Shuster.  They pitched it before going to serve in WW2 but DC claimed to have rejected it.  When they came back, DC was publishing Superboy.  They sued for ownership of Superman -- to get him back -- and Superboy -- who they never signed away in the first place.  While the courts back then upheld DC's ownership of Superman, they supported Siegel & Shuster's claim over Superboy.

Unfortunately, that win cost the guys their jobs at DC.  Their contracts were either not renewed or they were fired outright.

It took Neal Adams and the other comics pros campaigning on their behalf during the era of the first Superman movie to get them creator credit and living stipends for creating Superman.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Middy Seafort
Superman Fan

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 04:55:57 PM »

Bill,

Your artwork is fantastic. I would live to see a cast picture once you're done with your renderings, or an action sequence.  I think that you have captured the hope and spirit of Superman, while capturing the dark, vengence of the 30's Bat-Man.

Your 1949 Batman invokes the image of the Dick Spring Batman of the 1950s.  I can almost see him fighting the Joker in a warehouse of oversized props.

Are you also planning to do Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne, respectively, out of costume?

M.

"Better to go into the unknown, than die here alone."
--Earth-Prime Superboy, "Crisis on Infinite Earths"
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »

Quote from: "Middy Seafort"
Bill,

Your artwork is fantastic. I would live to see a cast picture once you're done with your renderings, or an action sequence.  I think that you have captured the hope and spirit of Superman, while capturing the dark, vengence of the 30's Bat-Man.

Your 1949 Batman invokes the image of the Dick Spring Batman of the 1950s.  I can almost see him fighting the Joker in a warehouse of oversized props.

Are you also planning to do Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne, respectively, out of costume?

M.

Thanks for your comments, Middy. I might just do a photograph of all of them standing a la Kingdom Come once they're all finished. As for their civilian identities, one never knows.

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Actually, Pre Crisis Superboy was definitely created by Siegel & Shuster.  They pitched it before going to serve in WW2 but DC claimed to have rejected it.  When they came back, DC was publishing Superboy.  They sued for ownership of Superman -- to get him back -- and Superboy -- who they never signed away in the first place.  While the courts back then upheld DC's ownership of Superman, they supported Siegel & Shuster's claim over Superboy.

Unfortunately, that win cost the guys their jobs at DC.  Their contracts were either not renewed or they were fired outright.

It took Neal Adams and the other comics pros campaigning on their behalf during the era of the first Superman movie to get them creator credit and living stipends for creating Superman.

Thanks for the info, Kal. I really appreciate it. The reason I asked is that TheFreeDictionary.com states that Superboy was created without the permission of Siegel and Shuster, but nothing is said as to whether or not the famous duo actually created the character. Thanks for clearing that up.

Who goes there?!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L