superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:27:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Novelization of original Crisis  (Read 2668 times)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« on: December 27, 2004, 08:52:19 PM »

Marv Wolfman is finishing up a novel version of 1986's "Crisis on Infinite Earths", with 70% new material.  I wonder if this will be the post-Crisis version of Crisis, or the original story.

more info

I can't figure out what this means or why it's happening.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 03:14:12 AM »

Well, uhm...

Hmm...

I don't get it, either.  Why do a novelization of a story from 20 years ago, one rendered irrelevant by it's own 12th issue?  One that doesn't relate to current "continuity" (such as it is) and isn't likely to resonate even with most comics fans (who are either too young to remember the Multiverse or have long since moved on), let alone the general book-buying public, who won't know what the heck is going on?

It's interesting to see this one will be told from a "personal" viewpoint. It would almost have to be, to avoid sentences like, "Superman of Earth-1, Green Lantern of Earth-2, the second Blue Beetle, the original Huntress, the three Lieutenant Marvels, Geo-Force, Katana and Halo of the Outsiders, Anthro the prehistoric boy and World War I pilot Hans Von Hammer were gathered in the Justice League satellite when..." :roll:

And yet, the whole point of the story was precisely that it WAS epic in scope, that it gathered every known character in the DC pantheon and that it changed 30 years of established history.  So how do you tell it from the point of view of one person (it would almost have to be one of the Supermen) and make it interesting, or explain how he or she is there for everything that happens everywhere? (And everywhen?)  But I guess this is where the "70 percent new material" comes in...telling parts of the story we never knew, but NOT re-writing what's been established.  Anyway no changes made in a novel would be binding on the DCU.

The real question is why is anyone doing this at all? No offense, Crisis was a big deal in its day, but going back and trying to drum up interest after all this time is quite a stretch.  The only questions less relevant to 2005 than "How will the Crisis end" are "Who Shot J.R.?" are "Where's The Beef?"

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L