superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:21:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which origin should Superman have?  (Voting closed: December 28, 2004, 04:42:00 PM)
Byrne's MOS - 4 (11.1%)
Loeb's Silver-Age redux - 2 (5.6%)
Waid's Birthright - 6 (16.7%)
Weisinger Silver/Bronze Age ("pre Crisis") origin - 16 (44.4%)
original Siegel & Shuster origin - 5 (13.9%)
all of the above - 2 (5.6%)
something else; none of the above - give details - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which origin do you prefer?  (Read 34967 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »

I'm at work right now so I don't have access to my books.

But I don't recall Waid making that 25 light-year comment anywhere in BR.  Jor-El just said Earth was 'far'.

BTW, the comment about being impossible to make a 33+ G Krypton is also off.  Give us a giant planet just this side of a brown dwarf star of 0.08 solar masses and a radius about a quarter of our sun's and it could easily have Krypton's gravity with only a density of about 6.97 g/ml vs Earth's density of 5.52 g/ml.  This is perfectly normal matter density still albeit slightly high for a planet.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2005, 08:37:11 PM »

I registered and added my comments to that blog, Forgottenhero.

If one is going to knock someone else's work, at least get one's facts straight first about that work.

Let me add my Mars comments here.

Why Mars wasn't considered:

Krypton certainly was aware of life on other worlds but none of them were suitable for their interests. Earth was the optimal choice for Kal-El esp. considering it had an atmosphere more compatible with Krypton's rather than the sparse, unbreathable one of Mars. That's not even considering how Krypton had a history of bad encounters with other space-capable races so they'd be shy about coming to Mars.

Jor-El was counting on Kal-El's super-powers to make him physically superior to competing lifeforms in his environment.  Hence, he didn't have to plan for adoptive parents or a friendly civilization to greet his son.

But Mars isn't only a highly advanced, space-faring society, but current continuity -- for what it's worth when it comes to the constantly shifting Martian portrayals -- has the Martians powered on their own world.  Surely, Kal's advantages would be much watered-down on Mars as opposed to Earth where he'd clearly be superior.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2005, 01:47:17 AM »

I have to agree although not listed and not comics canon, my favorite is the STAS origin. It really seems a best parts version.  I also like the STAS Brainiac sooo much better. Fasinating how they managed to make a computer into a very personal villian.
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2005, 02:53:03 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
Surely, Kal's advantages would be much watered-down on Mars as opposed to Earth where he'd clearly be superior.

Whoa.  What an interesting idea.  Jor-El deliberately choosing Earth over Mars precisely because he wanted Kal-El to be the physical superior of those around him.

But on Mars, Kal-El would have been more at home, I think.  He would have been raised by people with powers much like his own.  He might have even learned more powers than he could on Earth.
Daybreaker
Supermen of America

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2005, 02:53:27 AM »

Surely, Kal's advantages would be much watered-down on Mars as opposed to Earth where he'd clearly be superior.

Whoa.  What an interesting idea.  Jor-El deliberately choosing Earth over Mars precisely because he wanted Kal-El to be the physical superior of those around him.

But on Mars, Kal-El would have been more at home, I think.  He would have been raised by people with powers much like his own.  He might have even learned more powers than he could on Earth.
forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2005, 05:34:51 AM »

I don't recall Waid making that 25 light-year comment anywhere in BR.  Jor-El just said Earth was 'far'.

I recall Luthor being the one who makes the 25 light year comment. I think it's when Luthor reveals to Superman that the planet he's from is Krypton.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2005, 07:25:29 AM »

Quote from: "forgottenhero"
I don't recall Waid making that 25 light-year comment anywhere in BR.  Jor-El just said Earth was 'far'.

I recall Luthor being the one who makes the 25 light year comment. I think it's when Luthor reveals to Superman that the planet he's from is Krypton.

I just checked the issue where Luthor reveals the truth and he doesn't say "twenty-five light years." He does, however, say that Krypton EXPLODED twenty-five years ago (Superman's age is twenty-five).

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2005, 03:05:30 PM »

Absolutely right, Notsuper.  I just checked my own issues, too.

Lex was using a wormhole to view random scenes from Krypton's past.  He calculated the actual explosion occurred about 25 years ago in that book.  That doesn't mean it took 25 years for that information to reach him given that wormhole tech and the fact he was receiving images from all over Krypton's history.

Captain Kal

-- The Dalai Lama
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L