superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonStrange Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:10:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which origin should Superman have?  (Voting closed: December 28, 2004, 04:42:00 PM)
Byrne's MOS - 4 (11.1%)
Loeb's Silver-Age redux - 2 (5.6%)
Waid's Birthright - 6 (16.7%)
Weisinger Silver/Bronze Age ("pre Crisis") origin - 16 (44.4%)
original Siegel & Shuster origin - 5 (13.9%)
all of the above - 2 (5.6%)
something else; none of the above - give details - 1 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which origin do you prefer?  (Read 34914 times)
GeorgeKirk
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 03:20:01 PM »

Birthright, because it's a modern retelling of the classic origin, with no Byrne-like attempts to drastically change things. I especially like the way it incorporates the S-symbol into the mythos.
The Ceb-Man
Superman Fan

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 04:44:57 PM »

Birthright is good, but I miss the Pre-Crisis version. I miss  the Superboy/ Luthor fued, Luthor's purple suit, etc.

The Ceb-Man!

"One thing I know son is that you are here for a reason."
   - Jonathan "Pa" (Glenn Ford) Kent,
                  Superman :The Movie (1978)
Webley
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 02:16:20 AM »

Quote from: "The Ceb-Man"
Birthright is good, but I miss the Pre-Crisis version. I miss Luthor's purple suit, etc.
I loved the purple suit Luthor. The purple suit Luthor was the best Luthor :!:

Short Round is cooler than Indy
forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 03:50:50 PM »

It's a toss-up between Loeb's neo-Silver Age origin and BIRTHRIGHT for me. Loeb's version has General Zod as the reason that the Science Council wouldn't listen to Jor-El and -- via McGuinness -- visually, it's updated just enough to look "traditional" but without the corny bits (Jor-El always looked silly in red trunks). But BIRTHRIGHT has the "S" as the symbol of Krypton (not just the House of El, but all of Krypton) and has Lara playing a pro-active role in determining baby Kal-El's fate for the first time.

The latter two touches are overdue, I think, so BIRTHRIGHT gets the nod, but a combination of the two versions would be my ideal telling of Superman's beginnings.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 06:56:10 AM »

My ideal origin would be this:

- Krypton is a loving, passionate world populated by equally passionate people.

- Krypton is a lively visual paradise.

- the S-shield is a Kryptonian symbol, and the Supersuit is based on Kryptonian fashion.

- Superman is born on Krypton the natural way, not as a test-tube fetus.

- Jor-El and Lara are loving, heroic, and noble people who anybody would be proud to say are their parents.

Beyond that, the exact look of the clothing, architecture, and technology is up for grabs. The Silver-Bronze Age/"R2K"/Birthright Kryptons are all great, but the animated version from Dini and Timm is probably may favorite of the them all. I think there's plenty of room for interpretation without tearing stuff down like Byrne did.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 11:19:06 AM »

In total agreement, especially on the STAS Krypton and it's designs. I've always felt the thing with Brainiac was brilliant!

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »

i prefer the silver-age origin.  jerry siegel was one of the writers from the mid-late 50s to the mid 60s.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 09:46:52 PM »

Quote from: "Webley"
Quote from: "The Ceb-Man"
Birthright is good, but I miss the Pre-Crisis version. I miss Luthor's purple suit, etc.
I loved the purple suit Luthor. The purple suit Luthor was the best Luthor :!:

I like Luthor in his convict grey myself and his ultra cool, super evil lair - who else would have statues of his heroes being folks like Al Capone and Genghis Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!! :shock:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L