superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supergirl updates!  (Read 7414 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: December 29, 2004, 05:04:27 PM »

OK, we've finally added a new online Supergirl tale - see the announcements section for details! (and be sure not to miss the Supergirl's Boyfriends page after the story!)

Also, the hardcover collection of the Jeph Loeb/Michael Turner Supergirl saga from Superman/Batman #8-13 is now available for pre-order in our Supergirl gift-shop[/url]!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 04:14:09 AM »

Added some scans to the costumes section.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:32:24 PM »

Beautiful scans, Rao!  Just a little clarification for those who didn't get Solo #1:

The top illustration at http://superman.nu/supergirl/costumes/2004/ isn't the new Kara Zor-El that debuted in Superman/Batman #8 (though it IS a 2004 picture), nor is it REALLY the Silver Age Supergirl.  Solo #1 (featured artist Tim Sales) had a Diana Schutz' tale, "Young Love", that explored what happened after the suddenly-cancelled (The Daring New Adventures of) Supergirl #23 left a tantalizing cliffhanger with Linda Lee Danvers and the suddenly-resurfaced Dick Malverne.  

It was nice to see that dangling plotline finally resolved after twenty years, but that presented a stylistic problem.  While this definitely was a pre-Crisis Supergirl story, it might have been too confusing to cram all the appropriate appearance changes into just eight pages.  (This tale is told in retrospect, so Kara would have been seen in at least three different Supergirl costumes.)  Tim Sales decided to keep Kara "fixed" in one look -- a "traditional" Supergirl costume with a red skirt (unlike her original all-blue dress) and a short hairstyle.  So yes, this Kara is technically inaccurate, but she's a perfectly acceptable compromise given the situation.  

I'm absolutely delighted that this tale was published AT ALL (considering DC had long insisted that Kara NEVER existed, but at the same time Solo #1 was published they were loudly proclaiming the debut of the NEW Kara), and I'll accept this as "canon" regardless of the artwork descrepancy.

DTO
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 10:27:21 PM »

The "Solo" story is a great, if emotional, read - canon bawl or not. :roll:
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:18:25 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
It was nice to see that dangling plotline finally resolved after twenty years, but that presented a stylistic problem.  While this definitely was a pre-Crisis Supergirl story, it might have been too confusing to cram all the appropriate appearance changes into just eight pages.  (This tale is told in retrospect, so Kara would have been seen in at least three different Supergirl costumes.)  Tim Sales decided to keep Kara "fixed" in one look -- a "traditional" Supergirl costume with a red skirt (unlike her original all-blue dress) and a short hairstyle.  So yes, this Kara is technically inaccurate, but she's a perfectly acceptable compromise given the situation.

I don't know if Tim Sales actually created this compromise costume.   I was browsing the stories here on the site, and noticed that she also wore it in the Silver Age Weisinger tribute story from 1998:

http://superman.nu/tales3/typical/?page=4

So it seems to be a generic post-Crisis version of the pre-Crisis Supergirl.  Although Kara never actually wore this costume back when she was alive, it it now seems to retroactively be the only one she ever wore.  (Except for the original all-blue one that she had in the Peter David appearance.)

I prefer the all-blue to the red skirt version.  I think the new Kara's costume is a perfect design, partly for that reason - it's a good update of the original.

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:24:05 AM »

Starchild, it appears that "Kara" has pointed sleeves, which were only worn by the Matrix/early Linda Danvers Supergirl.  This story was actually a Dominus-inspired "dream sequence", so a jumbled combination of "Cousin Kara", Matrix/Linda and even a hairstyle more akin to Power Girl's shouldn't be surprising.

As for this becoming the "Post-Crisis" interpretation of the "Pre-Crisis" Kara Zor-El, you might want to check the final volume of the recent "DC: The New Frontier".  Supergirl is seen in two panels near the end.  First she's wearing an all-blue outfit, then she's in a red skirt.  (It's assumed that some time has passed between these two appearances.)  I suspect this wasn't a colorist's error, but a means to accommodate both "original" and "traditional" looks.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 06:12:35 AM »

Speaking of skirts, I love the look on Mxy's face in the Supergirl's Boyfriends page!  :wink:

This discussion reminds me of how little I actually know about the various styles of the older comics --hard to keep track of relatively minor variations of costumes.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L