superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1995-2005: Ten Year Anniversary of Superman Through the Ages  (Read 13791 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 06:45:05 AM »

Congratulations and Happy New Year!

This site is one of those things that makes the internet (and many aspects of the modern world) bearable!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 09:09:34 PM »

Yes.  This site has brought back the joy of seeing the big red S.  When I get a new job, I'm going after the silver age Superfamily stories(Supergirl Arvice, Auperman in Action Comics archive)

I do enjoy this.

If my scanner worked, I'd send in the story where Lois Lane was using Lana's bio-ring.  And also puts a lie to why Superman didn't want to marry either Lana or Lois.  Smiley
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 07:08:03 PM »

Serious congrats...

The site not only brings back my memories, but is a good blend of other perspectives, while keeping a Golden/Silver tone...

Great work...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »

Well, what can I say?  It's hard to overstate the delight I felt at finding someone...anyone...else in the world who remembered "my" Superman and felt he was worth remembering...even celebrating.  For years it seemed I'd be the only one of my peers never to "grow out of" comics...girls didn't take me away, nor college, nor career.  In the end, comics "outgrew" me, becoming something too jaded, too cynical, too perverse, too insidiously soul-robbing (or as the publishers would put it, too "adult") for me to support.  I missed -- continue to miss -- my hero Superman and was beginning to feel, in those days, that I was the only one who did.

It was a vindication to find someone, then several someones, then a lot of someones who also remembered the good old days, despite DC's party line that they never happened.  And to find them at a site that wasn't afraid to tell the truth; that a hero with clean hands is not an impossibility, that truth and justice and a respect for life are not naive notions or "weaknesses," and that making stories fit for children of all ages should be a source of pride, not shame.  

Rao is quite right that it's hard to imagine what a voice in the wilderness this site was in 1995.  Indeed, putting it up was practically an act of protest, with all the risk that involves in this litigation-happy nation of ours.  I distinctly remember two thoughts when I found the site: first, "This is great!" and then, "Can he really DO this?"

Thanks, Rao, for keeping the faith in the darkest times and for striking the first blows against the solid wall of resistance from DC.  Bit by bit, from a million different sides, it's been chipped and chipped at until now it's not a question of if it will fall, but when.  You've done a hero's work.

Here's to another ten years!

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L