superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman under a red sun - in the past!  (Read 10340 times)
Captain Kal
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 03:46:21 PM »

I stand corrected that what I saw was the 'original' when it was obviously altered to better fit the story.

Something similar happened with The Reign of the Supermen.  The original text in one story had Steel calling the construct 'Engine City' before they could have known it yet.  It should have still been Coast City or the remains of same to them.  The TPB reprint corrected that.

A reprint of Supergirl's first origin substituted 'heat vision' for 'heat of X-ray vision' for a panel.

So, I can see the reprint fixing a story problem here retroactively.

Captain Kal

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson."
-- The Dalai Lama
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 02:36:27 AM »

Quote from: "Captain Kal"
I stand corrected that what I saw was the 'original' when it was obviously altered to better fit the story.

According to the BEST OF DC BLUE RIBBON DIGEST index on the Spanish Superman homepage, "Superman Under the Red Sun!" was reprinted in Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest #1. Perhaps that is where you saw the "corrected" reprint.

I have several of the digest comics from that time, but I never had that one.
ProfPotter
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 10:41:02 PM »

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
Finally, regarding the story Great Rao suggested "Superman Under the Red Sun!", I think a page must have been omitted from the story. Does anyone know what the Red Kryptonite did?

There's no missing pages from that story; that's how it was originally presented (I have the original, which matches what was used on this site).  Confusing, isn't it?

I think what was supposed to happen in the last panel on page 13 was that Superman exposes himself to the red kryptonite, which then makes him tiny enough for the rocket ship.  Then the comment on page 14 makes sense, where he says he just needs to wait for the red kryptonite to wear off.  Why they inserted the bit about the shrinking ray, who knows (probably poor editing).

I think when they reprinted this in Best of DC #1 in 1979, they apparently fixed it (my copy isn't handy).

Another possible Red Sun story is Action #350, "The Secret of the Stone-Age Superman", where he travels back in time.  See here.
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 01:52:36 PM »

It looks as though you have hit on the right story, ProfPotter.

I have just read my copy of  Action Comics #350 (May 1967), featuring the story The Secret of the Stone-Age Superman!, written by Otto Binder, and illustrated by Wayne Boring, and in it Superman goes back to 700,000 B.C., according to the splash page blurb (but a little later on in the story it says Superman went back more than a million years!), to investigate the discovery, by Perry White and others, of a caveman skeleton  wearing a Superman costume, in a cavern in France.

Superman promptly loses his powers because the sun is red at this time (according to this story, anyway), but after a series of adventures he is rescued by one of his Clark Kent robots wearing a Superman costume.

But because Superman does not want to reappear back in the present with his robot also wearing a Superman uniform he tells the latter to change to his Clark Kent clothes. The robot does so, but then forgets to bring his uniform along (how can a robot forget?!?). The discarded costume is then donned by one of the caveman, to be discovered in the twentieth century.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 04:38:11 PM »

Great job guys!

IpComics should be dancing for joy if he when he sees this.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L