superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 49926 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 10:22:48 AM »

I must confess, as the owner of well over 400 Action Comics and Superman comics (mainly from 1960 to 1980) that the Superman-Sandman saga is from my alltime favorite period for Superman (the early to mid-1970s), and featuring that incomparable Superman art team of Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson.

I think with this story arc Denny O'Neil lifted Superman out of a bit of a rut of several years, probably starting about 1966, which featured far too many indifferent stories mixed with the gems.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 02:08:37 AM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Well I'm sure this vindication from you will help Rao sleep better at night, Spiff.

:oops: My comment was intended as a preface to my own opinion, not as a commentary on anyone else's. My apologies for pre-blathering...
Now, if Rao didn't want comments on his choices of story, he wouldn't have created a forum -- or, at least, that's what logic tells me.

I agree with you, I certainly do like to offer my opinions!
I think life, like a good story, needs a certain amount of conflict to make it interesting, and to stir the blood.

OK, I'll oblige you on this. I think my avatar's cooler than yours. :wink:
Kal-El10
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 03:52:43 AM »

The Sandman Superman series came during the 5-6 years when I wasn't reading comic books so I have never read the whole story. I would welcome the chance to do so.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 03:54:55 AM »

Well I personally like the Sand Superman Saga but I started reading Superman's titles on a regular basis at that time also so it does bring fond memories to me.  I think that if the Great One doesn't really care to post it so be it after all he is the Great One and his work on this site is both appreciated and inspiring to this Superman fan.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 11:50:47 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
This board is about a children's comic book

Talk about fighting words! Cheesy

I don't really like the bulk of the stories from this period either, although the Swan (and others) artwork is usually stellar.  I must confess, my thinking about 70s DC writers is not very sophisticated and I often get the Dennys and Dannys, etc confused --I remember a helpful rhyme from an old Comics Journal letters pagem but not the actual rhyme.

Who is responsible for Morgan Edge and WGBS/reporter Clark?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »

Gee, Aldous is right, we haven't had a fight here in a long time!  And since I used to be at the center of most of them, I can't help feeling I'm letting the team down!  :lol:

I have to admit neither "Whatever Happened To..." nor the Sandman Saga top my list of Superman stories, though they're both strong in their own ways.  Moore's goodbye to Superman was darker than I'd have liked, for one thing, but as far as wrapping up a universe full of old plot threads it did an amazing job in just two issues (considering how many modern comics take a year or more to tell far less complex tales).  Plus it's nice to have any ending at all!  But ultimately, "For The Man Who Has Everything" is easily Moore's Superman masterpiece.

I also agree with the consensus that Denny O'Neill was ill-suited to Superman, a fact he's the first to admit to.  The Sandman Saga was fun, but even Denny ignored the changes it wrought the moment it was over.  For my money, O'Neill only really excelled on Batman, but even the memory of those good stories was undone by his later editorship on the Bat-titles, an era that brought us excrement like "Knightfall" and the "mob rule by phone" debacle of Jason Todd's death.

As for inclusion on this site, if Rao's willing (it is his site after all) I say go for it.  It's obvious DC's turned a deaf ear to pleas for a TPB...and we're not the only ones asking, either.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 04:12:13 PM »

There seems to be a misunderstanding here, The Great one said he was more than willing to put them up, but he doesn't have the issues.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

Who is responsible for Morgan Edge and WGBS/reporter Clark?

Jack Kirby is responsible for Morgan Edge.

Denny O'Neil is responsible for Kent's WGBS TV job.

The Morgan Edge used by Denny in Superman #233 is actually the evil clone of Edge, and not the real Morgan Edge at all.

It's the clone who takes Kent off the newspaper and assigns him to TV.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L