superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Superman Breaks Loose"  (Read 50354 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:38 PM »

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

I have issue 238 and I'll "donate" scans asap.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2005, 09:07:23 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
The Great one said he was more than willing to put them up, but he doesn't have the issues.

The way I look at it is, if I'm going to spend my money on back issues, there are other back issues I'd rather spend it on - especially at the high prices these issues seem to go for.   And there are other stories that I'd rather spend my time adding to the site.  But I've never read it and I'm curious about it.

We've got two people who said they'd work on 234: one has to get his scanner fixed, the other is using a dial-up connection, so it's slow going.

Nightwing is down for 238.

Osgood Peabody, are you still willing to send in any issue(s)?

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005, 09:18:52 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

Osgood Peabody, are you still willing to send in any issue(s)?

S!

Absolutely.  I'll start on #235, and I can do others if needed.

Later this week, I'll try and send you some test-scans just to make sure they can get through to you, and are of sufficient quality.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 12:13:38 AM »

Great Rao,

Does the colouring for the online comic more or less match the colouring in the original printed comic book?

I only have a crisp black and white reprint of "Superman Breaks Loose." I've never seen it in colour.

For example, in the aircraft sequences, the sky goes from garish orange to pink, then bright yellow, to pink, then back to bright yellow. Was the original comic coloured like this?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 06:18:27 AM »

Quote from: "Aldous"
Who is responsible for Morgan Edge and WGBS/reporter Clark?

Jack Kirby is responsible for Morgan Edge.

Denny O'Neil is responsible for Kent's WGBS TV job.

The Morgan Edge used by Denny in Superman #233 is actually the evil clone of Edge, and not the real Morgan Edge at all.

It's the clone who takes Kent off the newspaper and assigns him to TV.

The funny thing is I've actually read the Jack Kirby and new TV job stories but had a temp short-out.  Love those Kirby Jimmy Olsens, Project Cadmus, etc.  But I also love the Silver Age Olsens (maybe more).  I also like the few 70s O'Neill Batmans I've read.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »

Does the colouring for the online comic more or less match the colouring in the original printed comic book?

I only have a crisp black and white reprint of "Superman Breaks Loose." I've never seen it in colour.

For example, in the aircraft sequences, the sky goes from garish orange to pink, then bright yellow, to pink, then back to bright yellow. Was the original comic coloured like this?

I don't know for certain as  I only own the Millenium reprint edition, not the original comic.  But I suspect that these are the original colors for two reasons:
    1 I've compared other Millenium reprints with the their matching original editions and the colors have been the same;

2 At the time this story was first published, I'm pretty sure that the sky was often colored orange, pink, or yellow from panel to panel.  Actual blue sky colors were rarely used.[/list]
    S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
    Kal's Pal
    Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 09:52:17 PM »

... It's great to see Rao adding such a historically significant tale to the site, despite his personal preferences. Smiley I myself have only read this first part through 'Superman In The Seventies', though it looks like an intriguing little saga. ... so I look foward to seeing the rest whenever that may be. But in the meantime, thanks again Rao!

"Fellow scientists! Krypton is DOOMED!"
    Osgood Peabody
    Superman Family

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2005, 02:38:01 AM »

Great Rao,

Aldous - I have the original, and while the colors are more or less consistent, they don't seem quite as garish.  Probably a combination of the cheaper paper, plus 30+ years of aging.  But yes, they did change the background colors from panel to panel.
    Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L